+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: This doesn't sound good...

Default This doesn't sound good...

I found this on another set of forums ...

"I played Rifts at PAX and was sorely disappointed. It felt a lot like WoW, both in play style and in art. The class/ability tree was very limited, and the namesake mechanic was a rather bland and un-inspired copy of the dynamic spawns that SWG was so well known for. I'm sure they're tweaking the UI/controls, so I won't comment on that.
    ..."

I really have high hopes (different from high expectations, but I have those to a degree as well) for Rift so I am hoping that this is not the general consensus?
    Last edited by Keilana-TASC; 09-07-2010 at 09:28 PM. Reason: spelling error
    "That which is beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful."

T A S C'S Guild FAQ

No game is perfect for everyone. That post was from the Vanguard Official Forums and like the OP I'm convinced this game won't match up to Vanguard, BUT at least it'll have devs!

This sounds like a valid preview based on the many fears that people have:

Rift is a carbon copy of WoW with EQ gimmicks tossed it.

Since I 've yet to play it all I can say is "I hope it isn't - I hope this preview is just from some jaded extremist!"

Part of what makes an MMO great is the community and Rift doesn't have a live community yet so most ppl are playing a single player MMO at the moment - its harder to see the forest through the trees if you know what I mean.
    Shagroth, GM of Myth

a Belmont Guardian Guild
    http://www.Myth-Guild.net

Link to source? TBH its good that there are a mix of positive and negative reviews. It allows a better oversight to see where this game is going in means of targetted marketing and familiarity.

#retiredBear #teamBBCs #puffForeverMad

Quote Originally Posted by hydd View Post
    No game is perfect for everyone. That post was from the Vanguard Official Forums and like the OP I'm convinced this game won't match up to Vanguard, BUT at least it'll have devs!
    Vanguard pre or post SOE?

-Soon A developer term that is never as "soon" as you want it to be.

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by Keilana View Post
    I found this on another set of forums ...

I played Rifts at PAX and was sorely disappointed. It felt a lot like WoW, both in play style and in art. The class/ability tree was very limited, and the namesake mechanic was a rather bland and un-inspired copy of the dynamic spawns that SWG was so well known for. I'm sure they're tweaking the UI/controls, so I won't comment on that.

I really have high hopes (different from high expectations, but I have those to a degree as well) for Rift so I am hoping that this is not the general consensus?
    There are people that say Vanguard is wow, and old EQ is WoW

You will always find people that say this game is bland, sucks, wow clone, its wow 2.0 ect

Ignore them form your own opinions

I really look at peoples reactions while playing the game, and the media when they are interviewing, or playing it every media person that has played Rift has said lets cut this short I want to play some more rift. To me that stands out but I make a living on picking up on emotion, and discrete feelings/ body language. Thats the vibe I get and have heard from them.

If its from the VG official boards, I wouldn't take much of it. Our community was well-known at downplaying other games. TBH its no surprise to me.

#retiredBear #teamBBCs #puffForeverMad

Quote Originally Posted by Zikkar View Post
    Vanguard pre or post SOE?
    Vanguard at any moment honestly. My guild and I are still kicking about in Vanguard having a great time. Hopefully Rift will come once we've "beaten" Vanguard and can conquer some new pixels.

Sounds like his review is pretty much what I've been seeing, except I'm overly excited about those features. I think that person is burnt out and in one of those phases where you're looking for something radically different or, he actually wants the game to be exactly like his previous game (perhaps VG in that case).

Take this for exactly what it is, someone's opinion. The game, like any game, won't be for everybody. You just have to play it and see if it's for you. As the game gets more and more attention, and nears closer to launch, expect negative posts everywhere. They'll even come on these boards and talk about how bad the game is. That's the way it works, and always has.

trying to please every1 will result in fail
    http://forums.riftgame.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1282&dateline=1279040  725

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by hydd View Post
    You have such high standards.

He didn't like what he saw. There will be plenty of people who will form their opinion based on what they see or if they get a chance to play it. Some will like it some won't. I'm not sure, I respect the person who posted that a lot and I value his opinion highly, so if he already is seeing this, then it must not be good.

But like most others I'm open minded and I'll head into beta, slightly afraid of what I've heard, but hoping for something to pass at least a year. Going for the years experience won't work anymore.

BTW in the same topic Smedley said something about the future of vanguard in his usual not really saying anything anyway. He said he is looking at EQ2's free2play server and maybe he'll add that model for vanguard, but it's not likely. He wants to add content, but doesn't want to spend any money. Really the same thing he's trying to sell us for the past few years, nothing new now just with 1/2 real dev and Silius to pass out random comments to people which make no sense and only hurts the community. Keep Silius away from your game if you want it to survive.

Champion

I don't trust anyone who reviews a game as "It's like wow" If they wrote a list of what thiey didn't like about the game, fine... but to denigrate a game for being an mmo and therefore too much like wow (oooh it has a UI where you have hotbars and can monitor your own hit points....)

Meaningless garbage of a review.

I hope to get into beta and see for myself, but everything I've seen and heard so far has done more to lower my hopes than raise them.

I'd rather see Rift be EQ III, SWG II, or Vanguard II, but if it can't be like one of those, and it turns out to be WoW with dynamic content and is both fun and challenging enough to keep my interest for years - then I will probably play it.

If not, I'll stick with Vanguard.

People say "Rift should be it's own game, not Vanguard II or whatever", well I'm OK with that too. But so far Rift looks way too much like WoW.
    Dual Targeting - The Targeting System of the Modern MMO

If the Lord of the Rings movie trilogy was made by today's MMO designers, the first 8 hours would be condensed into 30 minutes, and the last hour would be stretched out over 8.5 hours. It would be all about 'The Ending' and not about 'The Journey'.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast