+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: This doesn't sound good...

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by hydd View Post
    No game is perfect for everyone. That post was from the Vanguard Official Forums and like the OP I'm convinced this game won't match up to Vanguard, BUT at least it'll have devs!
    I have the same fear about it not being as good as Vanguard. Amazing how SOE managed to make VG fail.

If I'm a prospective investor that is thinking about putting up a couple / few million of my own cash to help get an MMO off the ground , and your pitchman comes in and tells me that he wants me to invest in a VG clone,.. I'm likely to LOL in his face.

But.. if you tell me that you want to build off of an established model that is proven to be widely accepted as being fun and playable for many, "wowesque", I'll probably say something like "I'm listening".

Even though we are gamers, we need to remember that while the devs, business men, and maybe even some backers may play games, they are business men first. They can't fund the making of games if they are broke and they didn't get to be millionares by investing in products marketed for the few.

Oh, and I just turned my VG subscription back on to pass the time and I'm having a ball, so it's not like I'm a VG hater or anything, it's just a matter of economics. Oh, and I played wow all the way to level 23 I think like 3 years ago so that obviously didn't do it for me.
    How does one kill that which has no life?

It is all personal opinion at the end of the day and everyone is entitled to that. This editor in the preview clearly stated their opinion of Rift and that fine, but I will wait for my own experience to make a judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Keilana View Post
    I found this on another set of forums ...

I played Rifts at PAX and was sorely disappointed. It felt a lot like WoW, both in play style and in art. The class/ability tree was very limited, and the namesake mechanic was a rather bland and un-inspired copy of the dynamic spawns that SWG was so well known for. I'm sure they're tweaking the UI/controls, so I won't comment on that.

I really have high hopes (different from high expectations, but I have those to a degree as well) for Rift so I am hoping that this is not the general consensus?
    Um, Rift looks in no way, whatsoever, like WoW. The art styles are pretty much polar opposites. High fantasy high artistic style vs a lower fantasy high realism style? I believe that this review is invalidated by it's complete inaccuracy on such an obvious and basic level. There clearly must be some sort of mistake if the reviewer thinks these two games have the same art style. Perhaps the reviewer has not played WoW? Perhaps the reviewer hasn't actually played Rift? Some say this is the the reviewers "opinion".... well it is my opinion that the earth is flat. Indeed. Similar art styles, bah. I've been trolled.
    Video of best Mage spec in action! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD2LRROpph0

Quote Originally Posted by Paincake View Post
    If I'm a prospective investor that is thinking about putting up a couple / few million of my own cash to help get an MMO off the ground , and your pitchman comes in and tells me that he wants me to invest in a VG clone,.. I'm likely to LOL in his face.

But.. if you tell me that you want to build off of an established model that is proven to be widely accepted as being fun and playable for many, "wowesque", I'll probably say something like "I'm listening".

Even though we are gamers, we need to remember that while the devs, business men, and maybe even some backers may play games, they are business men first. They can't fund the making of games if they are broke and they didn't get to be millionares by investing in products marketed for the few.

Oh, and I just turned my VG subscription back on to pass the time and I'm having a ball, so it's not like I'm a VG hater or anything, it's just a matter of economics. Oh, and I played wow all the way to level 23 I think like 3 years ago so that obviously didn't do it for me.
    Welcome back to VG! Send a tell to any of my characters if you are looking to while away the time. Keilana, Smyal, Aoee, Elizajane, Cloey.
    "That which is beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful."

T A S C'S Guild FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwolf View Post
    All mmo's are essentially the same however each had their own unique qualities, not all mmo's will suit everyone but that is just a given with anything in life.
    Just wish people would stop panicking until we actually know how the game is on release...
    i agree. it's funny im actually aggravated with people because there judging a game im sure 90%+ of them haven't even played/tested this game yet and most people are going off of limited information from the dev's or rumors they heard from Joe jack the friendly ******. Either way this game is gonna own i know i don't even have to play it to know.

Quote Originally Posted by g0kuenuan View Post
    trying to please every1 will result in fail
    Agreed.

I personally don't care if it does look like WoW, feel like WoW, and/or Play like Wow.

I just hope they involve the story like very well with the questing, dungeons, and Raids...etc, etc.

WoW has never done a very good job of making me feel like I'm part of an actual fantasy adventure. I might would still be playing world of warcraft if the story was a little more in depth. Which is really sad to be quite frank. Because, Warcraft actually has a lot of really awesome Lore and Storyline. Only problem is you can find it in game. You have to look it up on the internet, and Fansites. Otherwise your just grabbing quests, that really are not written very well, and you just grinding and blowin through the levels, to get to end game so you can Raid...and for what...? Just to get some Raid gear sets. That gets super old, super fast.

If there was some awesome story line in with all the Raid/Gear Grind, it might be at least a fraction more exciting. Even still yet...after you run the same Raid 20 million times, your sick of hearing the story by that point anyway.

Like in EQ2, I got super tired of running by the NPC's and hearing their spill over and over again, by the time I was level 50 I was really wanting to turn the voice for the NPC's off. At first it was really cool though.

But Trying to add something in for everyone will satisfy some, but not everyone. I think I'd really like to see Rift be a good game.

We will just all have to wait and see, I guess.

I wish I had chosen another title, but really, I could not think of one.

For the record, I am not cowering in fear, I do expect it and it have noticed that it does look a bit like wow in some regards and like other game in other regards. That was not my concern. As I have said, I don't want a nearly carbon copy of ANY of the games currently running. So please for those of you that are taking offense, don't.

Because I care deeply about my guildmate with whom I will be spending a tremendous amount of my RL time, in game (only a game, but still RL time with actual people) I want to look at any game to which we will move inside and out - that is all. Nothing more, nothing less.

Information and questions are good. I am naive in some respects, but am not gullible and know to take everything said in any forum with a grain of salt. However, it was not out of line to query others that have also seen it if they also thought it a near clone of any game.

Which is how I would have thought to ask & title the original post.
    "That which is beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful."

T A S C'S Guild FAQ

There was a quote somewhere at some point in time showing the likeness of all of us moving from 1 MMO to the next to that of a crack head looking for the next high. "Chasing the Dragon" as it has been refered to.

The fact of the matter is that with rare exceptions is another game going to be what we saw/felt in our first MMO. Alot of us have VERY fond memories of EQ, OU, and AC. those were our gateway drugs and our highest highs. Since then there have been few games that could hold a candle to them, not that those games were not good games as well.

While playing VG, a good MMO that might have been great, my friends within my guild will often strike up conversations about how doing a break in to original Plane of Fear or Plane of Hate in EQ was the best experience of thier MMO life. The sheer adrenaline, and feeling of satisfaction of just getting to the safe spot, never mind that you hadn't killed a single mob yet.

The communities and player base has changed since those days. Most players these days(imho) wouldn't even play a game where it was possible to de-level, and you were liekly to die just trying to get into raid zone. Nevermind the constant threat of trains in over half the zones that are worth exp'ing in.

So Rifts cant be everything to everyone, there will be nay sayers no matter how good the game is, because it doesnt fit thier perfect image of an mmo. Find me a game that does fit the perfect image, and ill be right there with you... but as we saw with VG things change with time, and production crunches. Most importantly right now is to wait and see how it looks/plays at release.

A guildmate of mine is in Alpha and says that so far he's really enjoying it. I don't know how much this means though as he's only like level 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackyce View Post
    A guildmate of mine is in Alpha and says that so far he's really enjoying it. I don't know how much this means though as he's only like level 4.
    Which means he's played for about 10 minutes if it was true, which I doubt.

What is this Rifts game that people are talking about anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Takauri View Post
    Which means he's played for about 10 minutes if it was true, which I doubt.
    Nah, he's actually played for a bit more than just 10 minutes. When he's been online though, there are maybe only 2-3 other people online with him so he's just soloing and site seeing at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Keilana View Post
    I found this on another set of forums ...

I played Rifts at PAX and was sorely disappointed. It felt a lot like WoW, both in play style and in art. The class/ability tree was very limited, and the namesake mechanic was a rather bland and un-inspired copy of the dynamic spawns that SWG was so well known for. I'm sure they're tweaking the UI/controls, so I won't comment on that.

I really have high hopes (different from high expectations, but I have those to a degree as well) for Rift so I am hoping that this is not the general consensus?
    It's doesn't sound like this person was able to play the game very long. Or didn't have a very good understanding of how the soul system works. just my 2 penny's
    "Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts."

It is nice to see that there are people out there who think that everything that came before wow is a clone and everything that came after wow is a clone as well. Pure comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin_VanCleef View Post
    So Rift is alot like WOW and nothing like Vanguard? Then I'll be quite happy with Rift

I thought Vanguard was terrible, and WOW is the best MMORPG out right now IMO.
    Vanilla WoW was a good MMO.

But current WoW cannot even be considered part of the MMO genre anymore.

People either solo level 1-79, or they repeatedly rush through instanced dungeons over-and-over-and-over again. WoW now has more in common with a console game than a MMO.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast