+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: This doesn't sound good...

Quote Originally Posted by Kryten View Post
    Vanguard like WoW are you kidding. Thats like saying there is no difference between day and night.
    Think he may be referring to difficulty, not its entirity. The point he's making is that when people say "such and such is like x" they are generalizing it that everything is like x.

Quote Originally Posted by Keilana View Post
    I found this on another set of forums ...

I played Rifts at PAX and was sorely disappointed. It felt a lot like WoW, both in play style and in art. The class/ability tree was very limited, and the namesake mechanic was a rather bland and un-inspired copy of the dynamic spawns that SWG was so well known for. I'm sure they're tweaking the UI/controls, so I won't comment on that.

I really have high hopes (different from high expectations, but I have those to a degree as well) for Rift so I am hoping that this is not the general consensus?
    I take issues with the underlined portion, as the person playing was only able to play a character from the beginning. That's one starting soul to begin with and maybe 8-10 points if you really plugged away at it for a good hour. I got to play with all the current Warrior souls and can tell you that the soul system is quite robust when it comes to choice.

Yes, if you've played any of the current DikuMUD evolutions like WoW, Warhammer, or the like, you'll be able to jump into this game rather easily. If you're waiting for Vanguard II, that doesn't seem to be this game from a systems standpoint. I didn't get to try crafting, but many of the other systems are standard for a AAA MMO these days.

With what I've seen so far, and what's promises, you're looking at a similar evolutionary step from EQ 1 to vanilla launch WoW, in WoW to Rift.

I have more impressions that I'll be writing up, but I wanted to assuage some of the fears here.

Most MMO forums wars are over the Game vs World divide. Which side are you on?

*sigh*

seriously guys... you need to get a more relaxed view on MMOs... NO MMO EVER will live up to your first or your "favorite" MMO... because back then it was all fresh, new and so on...

All these high expectations you have will just ruin Rift for you... sit back, take a look at what's good about any given MMO and you will be able to enjoy close to everything and that doesn't neccesarily mean playing them casually...

I used to have really high expectations (for WAR f.e.) and ruined a few games quite heavily for myself... don't do it ^^

As to the whole "omg wow clone" issue... don't do it to yourself... if you honestly expect, any AAA MMO nowadays to not borrow heavily from WoW than you are seriously naive...

now you may go back to cowering in fear ;)

Quote Originally Posted by eLdritch247 View Post
    *sigh*

seriously guys... you need to get a more relaxed view on MMOs... NO MMO EVER will live up to your first or your "favorite" MMO... because back then it was all fresh, new and so on...

All these high expectations you have will just ruin Rift for you... sit back, take a look at what's good about any given MMO and you will be able to enjoy close to everything and that doesn't neccesarily mean playing them casually...

I used to have really high expectations (for WAR f.e.) and ruined a few games quite heavily for myself... don't do it ^^

As to the whole "omg wow clone" issue... don't do it to yourself... if you honestly expect, any AAA MMO nowadays to not borrow heavily from WoW than you are seriously naive...

now you may go back to cowering in fear ;)
    Yeah I'm just enjoying things as they come.

/hug for forum peacekeeping.

I found this on another set of forums ...

I played Rifts at PAX and was sorely disappointed. It felt a lot like WoW, both in play style and in art. The class/ability tree was very limited, and the namesake mechanic was a rather bland and un-inspired copy of the dynamic spawns that SWG was so well known for. I'm sure they're tweaking the UI/controls, so I won't comment on that.

I really have high hopes (different from high expectations, but I have those to a degree as well) for Rift so I am hoping that this is not the general consensus?
    I don't mind Rift copying Vanilla WoW. That was awesome times for WoW and what made WoW, I think. WoW felt competitive and progressive and fun in those days.

What WoW is now is what I'd hate for Rift to be copying. The game has gone to all heII so I hope they steer from the newer mechanics and such of the game.

What I find a bit weird though is a company like Trion with all this technology they been working on and such and they are 'borrowing' a game rather than making truly their own game. Sure you can do a lot of certain things similar but when you have people walking up and thinking it's WoW 2, there some serious borrowing there going on.
    Last edited by DarkoneNeo; 09-06-2010 at 05:11 PM.

Most Likely to be: Defiant - Cleric Calling (PvP Server)

Quote Originally Posted by DarkoneNeo View Post
    I don't mind Rift copying Vanilla WoW. That was awesome times for WoW and what made WoW, I think. WoW felt competitive and progressive and fun in those days.

What WoW is now is what I'd hate for Rift to be copying. The game has gone to all heII so I hope they steer from the newer mechanics and such of the game.
    Actually if you really compare the two WoW vs. WoW+ they're almost the same, the major difference is that you personally don't like it anymore. I loved WoW in beta but hated WoW 5 weeks after it went live - because I was used to playing on a server of 3000 to 5000 but not on a server of (And I may be off) 12,000?

I also didn't love the fact that everyone I knew (the most jaded gamers on the planet) played WoW yet during my days in EQ they made fun of me for playing it.

I literally hated Wow based on the fact that MMOs weren't suppose to be mainstream and to a certain level I think most people starting feeling that way about the game and it began to bridge MMO players.
    Shagroth, GM of Myth

a Belmont Guardian Guild
    http://www.Myth-Guild.net

Shield of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Automaticzen View Post
    I got to play with all the current Warrior souls and can tell you that the soul system is quite robust when it comes to choice.
    What was the Beastmaster like, can you share your experiences with it at all? Really keen to know more about that class, whether it be pets, talents, spells, anything really heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Shagroth View Post
    Actually if you really compare the two WoW vs. WoW+ they're almost the same, the major difference is that you personally don't like it anymore. I loved WoW in beta but hated WoW 5 weeks after it went live - because I was used to playing on a server of 3000 to 5000 but not on a server of (And I may be off) 12,000?

I also didn't love the fact that everyone I knew (the most jaded gamers on the planet) played WoW yet during my days in EQ they made fun of me for playing it.

I literally hated Wow based on the fact that MMOs weren't suppose to be mainstream and to a certain level I think most people starting feeling that way about the game and it began to bridge MMO players.
    Ooooookkkayyyy

Quote Originally Posted by Shagroth View Post

Im sorry to say this but that's the stupid reason ive ever seen. you quit cause ppl you knew who made fun of you when you played EQ so because they played wow when it wet live and you did too you felt if you quit you'd get them back by quitting? if so that's just a cry baby in my eyes. just wait for rift i wouldn't be surprised they try it if they still play mmo's what are you gonna do quit Rift when it goes live cause they play?

The class/ability tree was very limited
    This is to be expected, since not having a soul will not let you see that soul's skill tree. When you start the game you only have 1 soul, so.... I saw a video of someone scrolling down the skills at the class trainer, and there is probably 200 lines in that list. I don't share this person's concern.

Anyway, this game is the onyl of the new crop of games that do not try to overturn everything we know about MMO's. Look at the other games coming:

- TERA ("real" missile attacks, must be dodged/ blocked physically)

-Vindictus (same as above, except with a MUCH lower budget)

-GW2 (Shock and awe story telling ala CoD4, but doomed to be short)

-TSW (No classes, no levels, little gear, connecting attacks, over 200 skills you earn and have to choose from to make your playstyle. Sounds like that rubbish game I can't remember the name of, but this game is in the hands of a competent AAA developer with a big budget AND has been in the works for almost 10 years)

-SW:ToR (single player game with MMO economy and co-op tacked on, with full voice acting like TSW)

I'd say that out of all these games, Rift and Trion is instead of focusing on the "revolutionary" going with a little bit of safe and a little bit of new, and their design makes sense. I will not be surprised if every one of the above games fail and Rift is the new WoW-killer.

Remember, WoW is still alive due to one thing: the mediocrity of it's competition.

I believe Rift to have the winning formula.

(I will be surprised if TSW fails)

All mmo's are essentially the same however each had their own unique qualities, not all mmo's will suit everyone but that is just a given with anything in life.
    Just wish people would stop panicking until we actually know how the game is on release...

I guess the whole "This doesn't sound good..." title would depend on your expectations in the first place. From the quote in the OP it seems like Rift isn't to his liking from the build he played in comparison to Vanguard. Maybe he had hopes that the game would be similar to that one and they have been dashed...to others however, myself included the game sounds very good and love the direction its taking.

My longest serving MMO would be WoW, and for all the flaws it has these days it was truly a great game once. Like Charlieonfire mentioned a few pages back, WoW is essentially 3 different games gradually getting worse as time went on. I've played WoW to death and I would have loved to have seen something more akin to Vanguard in Rift I suppose. I envy the size and scope of the world Vanguard had, the in depth and meaningful crafting and the wide range of classes. While it seems like Rift won't have some of these aspects to start with, it does have many others that seem promising.

I guess in the end its like when a mate asks you to watch a film he's seen saying "It's great!!! You'll love it" and when you finally do you think "Pfft...it was OK at best". Different strokes for different folks...what one person finds good/bad another could feel the complete opposite. I guess the best course of action will be to wait until we get to try Rift ourselves and see if it can deliver the things we want and make up our own minds, rather than getting worried about somebodys opinion of a limited demo he tried at an event.

The moment I read the phrase "WoW Clone" I instantly ignored the opinion. Most of us who have been playing MMO's for years prior to WoW know that there is a difference between borrowing a few things here and there from prior MMO's...and creating an entire game off borrowed concepts.

I for one had a chance to play Rift at PAX for over three hours during the three day convention...the beta can't come fast enough.
    "I move the stars for no one."

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnstreik View Post
    The moment I read the phrase "WoW Clone" I instantly ignored the opinion. Most of us who have been playing MMO's for years prior to WoW know that there is a difference between borrowing a few things here and there from prior MMO's...and creating an entire game off borrowed concepts.

I for one had a chance to play Rift at PAX for over three hours during the three day convention...the beta can't come fast enough.
    That seems to be the consensus for everybody who has played and posted here on on the boards. I think the majority of us here are mature enough to figure out that we will judge for ourselves rather than on a single individual's opinion.

Beta ... we're one day closer my friends

There are bound to be things that the masses will like and there are bound to be things that they love. Fact of the matter is that a LOT of what WoW did is loved by the masses. So take a LOT of what they did and make it better. Add to it. make a new game. Do not make vangaurd 2.0 or WoW 2.0 or any other game game 2.0. Make Rift 1.0. There is bound to be people that do not like it. There are bound to be people that will play it but complain.

We just need to make sure that it appeals to the masses yet still falls under the category of "AWESOME SAUCE!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast