+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: This doesn't sound good...

Quote Originally Posted by Keilana View Post
    I found this on another set of forums ...

I played Rifts at PAX and was sorely disappointed. It felt a lot like WoW, both in play style and in art. The class/ability tree was very limited, and the namesake mechanic was a rather bland and un-inspired copy of the dynamic spawns that SWG was so well known for. I'm sure they're tweaking the UI/controls, so I won't comment on that.

I really have high hopes (different from high expectations, but I have those to a degree as well) for Rift so I am hoping that this is not the general consensus?

A lot of the terms used in the statement are subjectively true or false, or opinions. Words like limited, bland, un-inspired or even dynamic need to be followed up with something more solid than just how the writer felt about it or all you can do is assume what the person was talking about specifically. So the experience was not for them or more likely what they were looking for just was not in there or they already were attached to another upcoming game.

I have to wonder though just how much they actually played cause during my time on the game at PAX it sure didn't look like WoW in any way to me.

I really get tired of these threads, in all honesty i wish they'd be insta-deleted.

"I played rift, and like, it reminded me of like, another mmo i played, and like, i was like, disappointed"... **** and ****

Its a f*cking MMORPG, no **** it's going to look like other MMORPGs and have similar feels.

as for the whole "The class system was very bland" or wtf ever they said, you seriously care about what someone, who only played to level 10 (at most) and thought the class system was bland, says? they're just stating how much of a blatant idiot they are.

It pains me to bump this post but seriously need to consider, as a community, to ignore anyone that complains that rift "feels, looks, seems, plays, fondles (or wtf ever else pops into your heads) like another MMORPG"
    Don't try to save yourself, the circle is complete.

Banned

... I thought we were discussing overall likes and dislikes.
    The question remains is what exactly can you say about Blizzard [WoW] that doesn't last a few seconds; and from players who are left dumbfounded by their experiences with other MMOs.

That's kind of what it's all about.
    My experience of WoW is largely untainted by anything negative.
    Everything else just either goes too far, or goes in the wrong direction enough to switch me off completely from it.

It seems to me that everything you could possibly dislike about an MMO, is in other MMOs.
    In that MMOs are just not fun.

Is WoW an MMO - well not really. I don't think 'Massively' is big enough to describe WoW's success. As any 175ft Yacht owner will tell you.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Texx View Post
    I really get tired of these threads, in all honesty i wish they'd be insta-deleted.
    Believe it or not, the OP's affliction with Rift being like WoW, is relative to this and many conversations in this thread.

It is like WoW.
    It could be Rift's downfall or it could be its success.
    No one knows, other than the fact that it does sort of look like WoW with a new game engine.

The reason I posted here is because it's not like other MMOs that have failed so badly; it's painful to even think that it isn't like WoW.

Soulwalker

I found this on another set of forums ...

I played Rifts at PAX and was sorely disappointed. It felt a lot like WoW, both in play style and in art. The class/ability tree was very limited, and the namesake mechanic was a rather bland and un-inspired copy of the dynamic spawns that SWG was so well known for. I'm sure they're tweaking the UI/controls, so I won't comment on that.

Every MMO feels a lot like WoW... WoW feels a lot like every other MMO. It does not matter what RIFT feels like to each of us. What matters is that will I be entertained?
    Will I spend countless hours wacking NPCs and trying to improve my toons equipment?
    Will there be significant numbers of other people playing?
    Will I be willing to pay a monthly fee to do this?

If I answer yes to those questions and it still feels like WoW, or any other MMO, so what. I am being entertained and enjoying it. When I stop being entertained is when the subscription button is turned off and I have turned off many.

Lets get into the game, form a community and be entertained for a long period of time.

If I was at PAX I would probably have said the same thing. Maybe I'll say the same thing after playing the beta, or I'm going to say I love it. Hard to say.

There are things that are alike and if you expect something and the expectations turn out a lot lower than you expect, than the next best thing is just assuming it's bad or worst.

What did that person really mean. I have no clue. I haven't talked to him yet, just saw that comment and thought hmm, well if he says that, he must have seen something he didn't like. Does that mean RIFTS is WOW2 or WOW-clone? No. It just means he would probably not like the game, because it reminds him too much to WoW.

If you think it looks like WOW which is a good thing, then go play rifts. If you think rifts doesn't look like WoW and you think the whole system looks a lot better, go for it.

In the end the only people that lose are the ones that don't give a fair shot at games. If he decides not to play it and he keeps playing VG or goes to EQ2, WAR, LOTRO, Lineage2 or whatever game he feels like playing, that's fine too. It's not about what others say or what others think, but if you like the game. This post was a bit unfortunate as it actually only demonstrates that even something good can have people that just don't like it. Just like WoW. 11 million people love it, another group doesn't want to touch anything that resembles it. I don't know, I wouldn't go back to vanilla, TBC, WOTLK or the new cataclysm. I left with vanilla and really didn't get the oh boy this is a great game feeling. I went back and felt the art was lacking. I don't blame WoW for anything other than not entertaining me. But I repaid them by not buying more subs. I enjoyed the time I played and that's it.

It's not about what others think, it's about what you do. This person expected more and didn't get it.

I don't put much stock in reviews by people who didn't pay enough attention to get the name right.
    <a href=http://www.trinityguild.org target=_blank>http://www.trinityguild.org/images/signatures/rift/sig_final.png</a>
    I mean, I guess it would just be a guy who you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or, um, a banana that grabs things. I donít know.
    Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean, those are the kind of questions I donít want to answer.

What I find bemusing is that some people seem determined (like politicians) to break the audience into two camps... camp EQ1/VG and camp WoW and then base arguments from that perspective.

Finding a good match in an MMORPG is like finding a good partner IRL. There are things you like about them and things that bug you and may grow to be pet peeves if you let them.

Personally I look back on my MMO experinces and see what I enjoyed about each game I played:

EQ1 - first love and therefore hard to forget. The world seemed massive, social. In the end I was snookered because I rolled on a US server and there weren't enough Oceanics to run a decent raid.

SWG - Loved the crafting but the adventuring did little for me. Very solid community but the game had some major bugs like horrible rubber-banding (though I was still on dial-up, which didn't help). There was also an issue that corrupt graphics files would kick you to the desktop - putting null files in their place overcame this. Eventually the Gig-seized, forced (and unneccessary) downloads through the broken patcher killed it for me.

WoW - vanilla experience. Extremely polished and bug free (this girl wore a lot of make up) and thoroughly enjoyed levelling up and early raid experience (this was my first real raiding of course). Crafting was well bleh... First game on DSL connection which probably helped a lot.

VG - stunning graphically, and in depth crafting that sucked me in. Didn't bother to adventure and pushed the envelope on crafting instead. Quit after about half a year because of crippling bugs. In our case we would periodically get locked out of the game when travelling across chunks (server-zone boundaries). Reportesd this and worked with whoever would help to try and fix it, but the bug persisted... soul detroyer. I would possibly still be playing otherwise.

LoTRO - levelled to cap in a couple of toon deaths (due to disconnects) and felt zero challenge in the game. It played smoothly and the graphics were good, but where was the challenge?

WoW - WotLK experience. What happened to the game I played before? I levelled on a new server to 80 in half the time it took me to get to 60 in vanilla. Rogues had been nerfed (start of WotLK) to near useless in raids (presumably PvP balancing issues) and the main dungeon (Naxx) was a ressurected vanilla dungeon. Then the welfare-token system and cross server 5-man soulless grinds. This was not the same gal I had met a few years earlier. Still wearing a lot of make-up...

I have skipped a couple short-lived experiences (some F2P and WAR).

So there we go... a complete mixed bag, much like life. Every game had its interesting features (even LoTRO had interesting group combat chains etc) but none of them were perfect. No game will ever be "perfect" because they all have features that we don't like. I did enjoy the time I spent in all those games. Generally I quit (as a previous poster said) because of crippling bugs.

If Rift's crafting sucks, that will be a blow to me, but I thoroughly enjoyed vanilla WoW and a game could do a lot worse than to emulate WoW when it launched. Let's not forget that WoW only launched with 4 servers in the US.
    De techniek staat voor niets
    **Rift Video Compendium**<---this be old and dates back to alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Texx View Post

"I played rift, and like, it reminded me of like, another mmo i played, and like, i was like, disappointed"... **** and ****

Its a f*cking MMORPG, no **** it's going to look like other MMORPGs and have similar feels.

as for the whole "The class system was very bland" or wtf ever they said, you seriously care about what someone, who only played to level 10 (at most) and thought the class system was bland, says? they're just stating how much of a blatant idiot they are.

It pains me to bump this post but seriously need to consider, as a community, to ignore anyone that complains that rift "feels, looks, seems, plays, fondles (or wtf ever else pops into your heads) like another MMORPG"
    Holy Mackerel!

If a post in which others share their ideas and thoughts get you this worked up, please do not read or respond to them. I would not want your blood pressure to elevate.

If I have a concern, idea or suggestion, I am going to post them - just as you do. If you are into the autodelete thing, then I guess the forums will only show what you already think, therefore leaving nothing to think about or learn. I will say that if there were a more specific thread that I could have put it in, I would have so people that get so hot under the collar about the subject could skip the thread altogether.
    "That which is beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful."

T A S C'S Guild FAQ

First 10 levels of a fantasy RPGMMO..... How much difference are there really between the different ones out there, when it comes to gameplay ?

Some thinks are spotted right away off course, graphics and models, how much lore thats put in on creation, classes to choose from. But i wouldnt judge a game on either of these from a 1 hour glimpse.

Most things have been debated already on the sentence "..looks and feels like WoW". If i tried WoW all over again for 1 hour, i would probably say "it looks and feels like a RPGMMO".

Many people dislike WoW, but they do it for different reasons. I got put off by the games linearity and cartoonish looks. Somone else disliked it for beeing too easy, but loved the graphics.... The same can be said of any of the rpgmmo's out there.

So, if someone says it looks like wow, it may the things in WoW that i liked, and not the things i disliked ....

Rift has an new and interesting class-setup, it doesnt have the asian-models, with weapons and armour 3 times the size of the characters. It got dynamic content, thats plays together with PvP on designated servers), it has ... goes on and on. Each of these things can just as well be something people dislikes as it can be liked.

In the end, when you played the game for the full free months, you can make a qualified statement on how this game is for YOU. It is the full scale of all the things you like and you dislike (there WILL be both) - that in the end, makes each individual decide for themselves if its a GO or a NO GO.
    Originally Posted by Cactuschef

Souls:
    Fixed a problem where you could combine certain talents for a useful result.

I'll myself ignonre these posts and play the game and form my own opnion based on it, wow was a good game when it came out, I dont mind something similar in some aspects, but as for a copy I'll wait and see whats comin.

"This shooter feels like Halo!"

"This open world game feels like GTA!"

"This Hello Kitty Adventure has too much of Hello Kitty in it!"

That's what I think about this. The commentary is silly - something of a genre will be restricted, although sometimes only partially, by the expectations others will have of the genre.

But guys, you better get used to these comments. They're gonna come fast and furious, ESPECIALLY from those who have only seen a single trailer, or only glanced through a short preview. Heck, at least this one actually played a little (although likely less than an hour, in specific conditions, with a prejudiced mindset, etc....).

Quote Originally Posted by armengar View Post
    I'll myself ignonre these posts and play the game and form my own opnion based on it, wow was a good game when it came out, I dont mind something similar in some aspects, but as for a copy I'll wait and see whats comin.
    Exactly. I often take the opinion of others with a grain of salt. I'd rather see for myself, and make my own opinion. Often times I find people pulling the wow clone card for a particular aspect found in WoW that is prevalent in most MMOs.

I just find it a bit funny that this is one of the very few (maybe only) negative impression posts I have seen and most people react by stating that they should make up their own mind and not rely on other peoples impressions while at the same time replying with praise and "that eases my concerns" when there is a positive impression thread .

The logic is sound, but should be applied in both cases don't you think?

Rift Disciple

You really have to take the WoW clone comments with a grain of salt. Rift is a Fantasy MMO, and WoW is currently the undisputed King of the west for the genre right now, so it's no surprise to see those sort of comments being tossed around. They'll be spammed non-stop as the game grows closer to release, and if you're a Rift enthusiast, get ready for the fanboy insults that will accompany them.

"Rift, at its heart is an RPG MMO with a twist, so the player will experience both the familiar, and the unfamiliar." -Simon Finch

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast