+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: This doesn't sound good...

Plane Touched

Well, there are always different opinions and expectations about these games. For myself, I will wait to be able to play the game and see how it goes. If it plays something like WOW in certain aspects, fine. I have played WOW and did enjoy myself during most of the time (except for certain community aspects). Designing games to fill everyone's expectations is, in my opinion, impossible as you cannot be everything to everyone. There are those who will forever complain that the game is not like such-and-such that they are currently playing. No one is twisting their arm to say that it is. As in many things in life, it is subjective.

I could not myself (because of lack of knowledge and the mega-bucks required) design and produce a game that would meet all my fantasies and expectations. However, Rift is a stunning example of a company's vision and given the chance I will gladly wade into that vision to see what is there.

Sorry for the above, I mean no offense to anyone. Rant mode off!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kindair View Post
    None are bad or only missed by gamblers or some crazy comment like that.
    You're not in my league - so don't try.
    You've misunderstood what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuldorn View Post
    Wouldnt read too much into it in all honesty.

Possible reasons for said review are:
    1. Person doesnt want more folks leaving the game they play right now so is giving bad review/impressions and posting it where they know others who play their game will read it. Vanguard is clinging to life as it is, the last thing they need is alot of people leaving for Rift.
    2. They genuinely dont like it based on their current experience of loving Vanguard and its mechanics. Hey even I would have loved Rift to be alot more similar to Vanguard than it turns out it will be, I really was hoping this (no I wont go play Vanguard then as im way too late in the game to start that now, if only it had shipped as it is now back then and built upon its current state).

Regardless, they are entitled to their opinion and good luck to them in Vanguard. Me, im still looking forward greatly to Rift but my anticipation has diminished I'll admit that. I do have real concerns these days, but the game has so much promise and is being released at such a good timeframe (many many people are looking for a new mmo 'home' right now) im sticking with it. Nothing else remotely compells me to play right now as Rift does.
    Well...hey least they are winning the Massively "Choose my Adventure" poll right?

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Promising preview! The less Rift conforms with the preferences of someone who still plays VG, the better for the vast majority of potential customers out there.
    I don't agree with that, but I don't think anyone should be put down because of the game they choose to play. Especially since they don't know why a person chooses one game over another. It's would be an opinion based from ignorance and would be a rude thing to do.

I do still play VG and enjoy it very much - mostly because of the buddies that I have made there. A lot of our guildmates want to stick together, but unfortunately, VG is an unsupported game. I am not sure how much longer we can sustain if that does not change soon. However, I adore VG and wish I could change that fact.

So, I am putting a lot of hope into Rift for not only myself, but also my guildmates. If I wanted to play wow or any other currently running MMO, I would have. I am not putting it down, it's just not my cup of tea. For some reason (don't know why) the character movements make me feel ill and the characters look a bit too anime-ish for what I like. However, those that like it, like it and that is okay. Not to mention that older computers can run it which opens it up to a lot more people.

We don't need an mmo knock off, we all want something new that have parts that we will enjoy from games that we have played previously or want to try to make sure that we don't put all of our eggs into the basket of a game that has all of the components from games that we did not like. There is nothing wrong with taking great things from various games and mixing them in with new innovations to create an entirely new game.

Different points of views are important to share so things can be worked out before the point of no return. We are playing VG because we do not want to play other games that are open now, so it would be a major let down if they did too closely clone one game or another that we have chosen to not play (Or even the parts of VG/sony that have let us down).

I am putting a lot of stock into Rift because our guildmates will very possible be needed/wanting a new game home and this is our best prospect.

A good mix could be nice for everyone.
    "That which is beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful."

T A S C'S Guild FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    There are people that say Vanguard is wow, and old EQ is WoW

You will always find people that say this game is bland, sucks, wow clone, its wow 2.0 ect

Ignore them form your own opinions

I really look at peoples reactions while playing the game, and the media when they are interviewing, or playing it every media person that has played Rift has said lets cut this short I want to play some more rift. To me that stands out but I make a living on picking up on emotion, and discrete feelings/ body language. Thats the vibe I get and have heard from them.
    Totally agree with you! from the sources I have read and interviews I have watched from 10ton and such. Most seem happy with game and want to cut the interview short because they want to play some more (good sign to me). I just don't like the WoW clone arguments, if it was a WoW clone the game would be called WoW Clone... Rift got its own lore and I like it a lot so on that point.. Lets judge the game on its game play and not on its similar attributes to other mmos because clearly most mmos have similar attributes to other mmo as well. Though if arguments want to compare the game to other mmos then lets wait and see what rift has to offer when it is released next year.

Different games for different people, I do prefer the game to be similar to WoW since I love it, then similar to Vanguard which I didn't like.

This isn't a pro-wow / anti-vanguard comment. This is just like movie reviewers...there are some out there whose review might influence my movie going choices because their taste run similar to mine. There are some other reviews that hate all the movies I like and love the movies I dislike.. I don't bother reading them as obviously their taste are different then mine.

It's the same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Daft View Post
    Totally agree with you! from the sources I have read and interviews I have watched from 10ton and such. Most seem happy with game and want to cut the interview short because they want to play some more (good sign to me). I just don't like the WoW clone arguments, if it was a WoW clone the game would be called WoW Clone... Rift got its own lore and I like it a lot so on that point.. Lets judge the game on its game play and not on its similar attributes to other mmos because clearly most mmos have similar attributes to other mmo as well.
    Yes, Doc and Daft are right. I will only know after I wait and see. Until then I will keep my eyes and ears peeled and take it all with a grain of salt.

Still opinions are important for progress.

I hope, I hope, I hope, Rift is the one!
    "That which is beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful."

T A S C'S Guild FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by ignitus View Post
    Everything is relative.

If it felt a bit like Everquest or a bit like Vanguard or a bit like FFXIV -
    then there is cause for concern.

Being concerned that it is a bit like WoW is a disability felt only by gamblers.
    I understand that everything is relative and it is within the gaming world especially for mmos.. there tends to be a trend of game play systems because developers probably felt that those trends worked so might as well have that in their too. I just hope rift has taken its time to add their own twist and so far I am happy with what they did. I am just waiting for more news.

Quote Originally Posted by Keilana View Post
    Yes, Doc and Daft are right. I will only know after I wait and see. Until then I will keep my eyes and ears peeled and take it all with a grain of salt.

Still opinions are important for progress.

I hope, I hope, I hope, Rift is the one!
    I think most people in the forums with at least post above 30 are hoping this is the one and I really hope that as well. Opinions are great cause if their weren't any nothing would change. I still feel Trion is doing a darn good job adding their own style of mmo gameplay to trends that are current within the mmo world.

Banned

Vanguard breaks too many rules. The developers broke too many rules.
    That is their [on both accounts] biggest failing.

EQ2X is just old. It's isn't bad and it isn't broken.
    However, if Guild Wars can get a new game engine, why is EQ2X as neglected as EQ2 is.
    And the Shader 3 implementation is worse than Shader 1. The developers there can ignore these facts all they want - they've done more damage to the engine than it was before they mishandled it. Though they'll claim it gives better performance. Which is a blatant lie.

The biggest turn-offs for these MMO's is the fact that they make such horrendous backward strides with the game engines and their forward motion in relation to the ever changing needs of their customers.

This problem of their history has worn off - but too late, is simply too late.

WoW, is making mistakes too - but they're insignificant to the support and development that it has had placed upon it.

This is what some here are just not getting at all.

Don't try and think that I do not realise that Scott Hartsman was Technical Director on Everquest 2 either.
    I do my homework.

I have a question for Scott too:

Do you ever get asked how Fable III is getting on?
    Last edited by ignitus; 09-06-2010 at 01:14 PM.

Shield of Telara

You're not in my league - so don't try.
    You've misunderstood what I said.
    I saw your comments in the wow thread. Trust me, nobody is in your league, you have a brand of crazy thats unrivalled.

Please dont hide in my garden scaring cats

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lorathir View Post
    I saw your comments in the wow thread. Trust me, nobody is in your league, you have a brand of crazy thats unrivalled.

Please dont hide in my garden scaring cats

If you're not crazy, make an appointment to your Mundanist now.

Let Rift... be Rift.

Vanguard breaks too many rules. The developers broke too many rules.
    That is their [on both accounts] biggest failing.

EQ2X is just old. It's isn't bad and it isn't broken.
    However, if Guild Wars can get a new game engine, why is EQ2X as neglected as EQ2 is.
    And the Shader 3 implementation is worse than Shader 1. The developers there can ignore these facts all they want - they've done more damage to the engine than it was before they mishandled it. Though they'll claim it gives better performance. Which is a blatant lie.

The biggest turn-offs for these MMO's is the fact that they make such horrendous backward strides with the game engines and their forward motion in relation to the ever changing needs of their customers.

This problem of their history has worn off - but too late, is simply too late.

WoW, is making mistakes too - but they're insignificant to the support and development that it has had placed upon it.

This is what some here are just not getting at all.

Don't try and think that I do not realise that Scott Hartsman was Technical Director on Everquest 2 either.
    I do my homework.

I have a question for Scott too:

Do you ever get asked how Fable III is getting on?
    I have no idea what you mean. You are not wrong in those observations and vgs biggest fault is lack of Sony care and their recklessness.

However, I thought we were discussing overall likes and dislikes. I know that I was. I don't like Wow, I like VG, don't like Sony's negligence, Liked EQ2 until they dumbed it down to intolerable proportions (for my tastes), etc, but still each game has things that we do and don't like and would and would not like to see in a new game with some of their new innovations BUT not a clone of any of them.

T A S C'S Guild FAQ

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lorathir View Post
    You have to admit that the 'burning the flowers' respite was nice.

I got a hundred emails from friends saying that I just body-slammed the flower-abusers on that one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast