+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: This doesn't sound good...

Quote Originally Posted by ignitus View Post
    Everything is relative.

If it felt a bit like Everquest or a bit like Vanguard or a bit like FFXIV -
    then there is cause for concern.

Being concerned that it is a bit like WoW is a disability felt only by gamblers.
    Not everyone likes EQ, VG, FFXIV, LOTRO, WAR, or even WOW. Yes, that must be a shocker.

There are different games on the market to try and capture that gamer that does like one of the games. Gamers expect games to be made for them, but they are made for more than just them.

And yes, a few games go more towards the EQ games and more others try to either copy or try to ride on the success of WoW. None are bad or only missed by gamblers or some crazy comment like that. Games aren't meant to please everyone. If they were, we all would be playing WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilligan View Post
    Promising preview! The less Rift conforms with the preferences of someone who still plays VG, the better for the vast majority of potential customers out there.
    You are right...but that sounded so mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyde View Post
    I don't mean to be rude, but that statement just screams of ignorance.
    Perhaps, but the guy is right....
    Last edited by cYan; 09-06-2010 at 11:48 AM.
    Promising preview! The less Rift conforms with the preferences of someone who still plays VG, the better for the vast majority of potential customers out there.
    Winzhi Defiant Mage

Because of wow's popularity, and the fact that everyone has played it, it's no surprise it would be a quick comparison for most people to jump to when describing any MMO. Wow, though popular and played by countless, had many flaws- and chose not to take advantage of many features it could have used. However, that said, it also did a number of things right, and I think a FEW features in common isn't the end of the world.

And a limited class tree? I've seen the class trees myself, they look pretty legit, and that complaint sounds pretty personal in taste. Eh, maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem likely.

Critiscism is good, and the game is still well in place to make adaptations, so if there is a limited class tree it can be updated. If it is, really, too wow-esque, it can be tweaked.
    "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

I don't mean to be rude, but that statement just screams of ignorance.

Are you causing hassle again cYan ?
    Exiled
    Web Monkey
    Mystical Awakening

My biggest problem with what was in the review was that he said it looked too much like WoW. The same thing could have been said about wow before it came out. It looks like EQ and other such nonsense. This is how mmos look. You don't see a FPS game and say hey that looks exactly like this other FPS. Of course they're going to look similar but they can play completely different. Judging anything at face value is wrong and unfair. Wow is just what a majority of 'newer' mmoplayers have experienced first so of course they're going to assume that every other game is just like it. We're all here to play an mmo. You don't go buy a detective book and get disappointed because its a detective book with a detective and a murderer in it. Its the details that make the game something you want to keep playing. If you're going to eat porridge you'll find some too cold, some too hot and some just right, but it the big picture its still all porridge.

Can someone please tell everyone screaming stuff about WoW, easy, no grind etc etc to consider that WoW is basically 3 separate games: Vanilla, TBC, WotLK and now the fourth: Cataclysm. Vanilla and 50% of TBC are radically different than the zerge-fest of WotLK.

I've said it before, that for me if Rift is like a modernized Vanilla wow, with a bunch of innovative new features and enhancements, I believe it will appeal to a huge number of people, incuding me. But no matter how many % similar to WoW it will eventually be, I guarantee you guys, there will be people that play it, and people who won't play it.

Quote Originally Posted by cYan View Post
    Perhaps, but the guy is right....
    True, but only because "the vast majority of potential customers" that he is referring to are people who have only played WoW or WoW clones, and therefore have no basis of comparison with the older classic MMOs.

The "vast majority of potential customers" are in fact ignorant when it comes to MMOs.

That's why Blizzard has been able to fool most of them into thinking WoW is a MMO.

Quote Originally Posted by charlionfire View Post
    <snip>
    I've said it before, that for me if Rift is like a modernized Vanilla wow, with a bunch of innovative new features and enhancements, I believe it will appeal to a huge number of people, incuding me. But no matter how many % similar to WoW it will eventually be, I guarantee you guys, there will be people that play it, and people who won't play it.
    That's what I've been saying as well. I'll play Rift if it is WoW+Fun+Challenge.

Once you newbies get over playing one or two MMO's - you'll realize that virtually ALL MMO's have something or other in common with other MMO's. There may be this unique feature here and there - and the graphics may be different on when the MMO came out vs the one it's being compared to - or whatever - but - basically there's only so much variation available with current capabilities than what started 12 years ago. Get over it - and enjoy the game for what it is - and stop hyperventilating over specific features or reviews or comments.

Take A Deep Breath and Let It Go......
    Veteran MMORPG Player for 10 years. Played almost all of them at one point. Played variety of races and classes and am good at most of them also.

Like I said before, people are going to hate just because they can hate. But in the end they don't even know what the thell they are hating. Saying something is WoW/WoW clone imho is a weak excuse for not backing an arguement. Nothing can be a WoW clone until 1-2 years in because like those who have played WoW said. WoW-vannila and TBC are different from WOTLK and so on. So calling something WoW...that kinda shows ignorance too doesn't it?

Of course it's interesting to read others' opinions. Everyone has a comparison point to work from and how "beta" products match up to that is going to vary dependent on their experience.

There is a general base-line that all MMO's are going to work from. "What drew the player base to that game?" followed by a "What were the majority of complaints/wishes form the general player base of that game?".
    While I have to agree that the art is a little reminiscent of WoW (from what I have seen so far - high fantasy), the art style in WoW was/is one of the draws for its popularity.

I'm not drawing any conclusion beyond I like how the previews look until I can get my hands into the actual game, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Keilana View Post
    I found this on another set of forums ...

I played Rifts at PAX and was sorely disappointed. It felt a lot like WoW, both in play style and in art
    This guy need eye surgery.

Wouldnt read too much into it in all honesty.

Possible reasons for said review are:
    1. Person doesnt want more folks leaving the game they play right now so is giving bad review/impressions and posting it where they know others who play their game will read it. Vanguard is clinging to life as it is, the last thing they need is alot of people leaving for Rift.
    2. They genuinely dont like it based on their current experience of loving Vanguard and its mechanics. Hey even I would have loved Rift to be alot more similar to Vanguard than it turns out it will be, I really was hoping this (no I wont go play Vanguard then as im way too late in the game to start that now, if only it had shipped as it is now back then and built upon its current state).

Regardless, they are entitled to their opinion and good luck to them in Vanguard. Me, im still looking forward greatly to Rift but my anticipation has diminished I'll admit that. I do have real concerns these days, but the game has so much promise and is being released at such a good timeframe (many many people are looking for a new mmo 'home' right now) im sticking with it. Nothing else remotely compells me to play right now as Rift does.

Quote Originally Posted by hydd View Post
    No game is perfect for everyone. That post was from the Vanguard Official Forums and like the OP I'm convinced this game won't match up to Vanguard, BUT at least it'll have devs!
    Yep Exacly ...
    Royal Legion - www.royallegion.pl

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast