+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: This doesn't sound good...

Quote Originally Posted by IDDQD View Post
    You have such high standards.
    Agreed, dual targeting & reaction chains are the standard.

Quote Originally Posted by hydd View Post
    No game is perfect for everyone. That post was from the Vanguard Official Forums and like the OP I'm convinced this game won't match up to Vanguard, BUT at least it'll have devs!
    HyiHydd, Glad to see you all are still raiding in VG.

I agree Hydd its about managing expectations. If one is expecting anther Vanguard one will likely be greatly dissapointed. Sadly, no new game will be as a good as Vanguard. No game will have the mechanics of combat, crafting and classes as well done as Vanguard. But that does not mean a new game whether Rift or whatever cannot be a lot better.

I don't expect Rift to be as complex or have as much 1-50 content as Vanguard. But I do have hope that Rift will have much better endgame content, will not bleed subs, will provide new and supported raid content and will be continued to be developed. In other words it will never be close to my perfect game or in many ways never as good as Vanguard but I have high hopes it will be a much better game where it counts, at endgame.
    Last edited by Zinn; 09-07-2010 at 05:52 PM.

To each their own. I tried VG and thought it was a very boring game with bad animations and an overly cartoony feel (more so then WoW). The classes seemed cool but every thing else about the game screamed grind and overly complex for complex's sake.

If Rift plays like WoW and has all the bells and whistles that made that game fun then I am overly optomistic about Rift's success.
    http://www.silkyvenom.com/forums/gallery/files/1/8/Zederok-sig.jpg

Death is fleeting but Glory is eternal!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGdGM...layer_embedded
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyxFS...layer_embedded

Make a game that fans love and you will get the followers.

Shield of Telara

I relish peoples opinions on Rift, both positive and negative. Its a great big world out there where everyones different. I'm not going to close my eyes to any of the negative opinions.

I have low expectations for Rift because Rift is an MMO and recently all the MMO's I've tried have sucked, or started out well and ended up sucking. I'm not fool enough to think Rift is going to be the next big thing in MMO's. If it is, I will be pleasantly surprised. If it isn't, what do I care lol. There's plenty more games.

Don't pin all your hopes and dreams on one game. There's a very high chance Rift will never be the game your mind imagines it to be. The worst thing you can do is let your imagination run riot because you're asking for a crushing disappointment, and it won't be the games fault, it will be yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Zederok View Post
    To each their own. I tried VG and thought it was a very boring game with bad animations and an overly cartoony feel (more so then WoW). The classes seemed cool but every thing else about the game screamed grind and overly complex for complex's sake.

If Rift plays like WoW and has all the bells and whistles that made that game fun then I am overly optomistic about Rift's success.
    Pretty much my feelings exactly.
    Crowl - Bahmi Justicar/Shaman/Purifier Tank
    Aramon Alshan 32 Riftstalker/34 Nightblade PVP setup
    Sunrest RP-PVP
    Foe's Watch

Well again I think it shows what crowd this game will be aiming to. Less of the VG/EQ1 classic gaming feel and more to the EQ2/WoW/Warhammer feel.

Is it bad or good? Good for those who favor EQ2/WoW/Warhammer. Bad for those who favor VG/EQ1. Think its simple to gauge. Calling something "better" than another is too just an opinion..lets not force it down people's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorathir View Post
    I relish peoples opinions on Rift, both positive and negative. Its a great big world out there where everyones different. I'm not going to close my eyes to any of the negative opinions.

I have low expectations for Rift because Rift is an MMO and recently all the MMO's I've tried have sucked, or started out well and ended up sucking. I'm not fool enough to think Rift is going to be the next big thing in MMO's. If it is, I will be pleasantly surprised. If it isn't, what do I care lol. There's plenty more games.

Don't pin all your hopes and dreams on one game. There's a very high chance Rift will never be the game your mind imagines it to be. The worst thing you can do is let your imagination run riot because you're asking for a crushing disappointment, and it won't be the games fault, it will be yours.
    Better to walk in with low expectations and be surprised than to go in with high expectations and be disappointed right?

Quote Originally Posted by Raive View Post
    Well again I think it shows what crowd this game will be aiming to. Less of the VG/EQ1 classic gaming feel and more to the EQ2/WoW/Warhammer feel.

Is it bad or good? Good for those who favor EQ2/WoW/Warhammer. Bad for those who favor VG/EQ1. Think its simple to gauge. Calling something "better" than another is too just an opinion..lets not force it down people's throats.
    Yes, I agree with that.

And like I said before, even if Rift is a lot like WoW, but fun and challenging (which WoW is not) then I'll probably play it.

Eh, I much prefer EQ1/DAoC to what has been on the market the past few year. Guess I just came to grips with reality and the knowledge that the days of those games are over and make the best of whats offered.
    Crowl - Bahmi Justicar/Shaman/Purifier Tank
    Aramon Alshan 32 Riftstalker/34 Nightblade PVP setup
    Sunrest RP-PVP
    Foe's Watch

Quote Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
    Eh, I much prefer EQ1/DAoC to what has been on the market the past few year. Guess I just came to grips with reality and the knowledge that the days of those games are over and make the best of whats offered.
    I meant to put in EQ1/VG/DAoC but I guess you got my point heh. I was at such a crossroad of going to DAoC from EQ1 but I stuck with EQ1.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Keilana View Post
    I found this on another set of forums ...

I played Rifts at PAX and was sorely disappointed. It felt a lot like WoW, both in play style and in art. The class/ability tree was very limited, and the namesake mechanic was a rather bland and un-inspired copy of the dynamic spawns that SWG was so well known for. I'm sure they're tweaking the UI/controls, so I won't comment on that.

I really have high hopes (different from high expectations, but I have those to a degree as well) for Rift so I am hoping that this is not the general consensus?

C'mon we get people commenting on how like WoW this game is here. Some people will believe it's a WoW-clone regardless. They are convinced no game will match up to the old of EQ.

I'm not going to worry about one comment. When a whole bunch of people start to moan and groan then it may be time to think.
    We Were The Defiant

Then Rift went Trivial and Dull

Banned

Everything is relative.

If it felt a bit like Everquest or a bit like Vanguard or a bit like FFXIV -
    then there is cause for concern.

Being concerned that it is a bit like WoW is a disability felt only by gamblers.

Shield of Telara

Better to walk in with low expectations and be surprised than to go in with high expectations and be disappointed right?
    Absolutely!

(i expect rift to be pretty good if i'm completely honest, but i like to remind myself nothing is ever guaranteed, especially in this genre)

Plane Touched

Promising preview! The less Rift conforms with the preferences of someone who still plays VG, the better for the vast majority of potential customers out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
    The misconception is that devs, producers and investors believe that we enjoy challenges they create, but forget that frustrations are a great way to add to a feeling of a real world. While leveling is no fun in itself, the reward of leveling and getting to new content is a big reward.

Spending hours and hours to do something is boring, but when you get the reward, you notice how much worth the time was that you spend. Of course it doesn't always work. Grinds are not good or bad, there are just good grinds and bad grinds. WoW devs thought it was best to remove everything players complained about, but at the same time they did enjoy beating the things they didn't like.

The thing players hate most of all are bugs. That's why vanguard failed and why Rifts will be a successful game. The number of bugs are so low already and when released it will be near the level of WoW of bugs. Does it mean it will be a WoW killer, who knows. It's time for players to move on from WoW and they are already looking for other games. Some will turn off the lights, but some will leave, but the word WoW killer, no we can't say yet.

And yes someone doesn't like the game. As someone else said, try to please everyone and fail for everyone. If you want to make a game close to WoW then that means it's not close to vanguard. Players who enjoyed the complexity and other things from vanguard won't see those back in Rifts. Is that a bad thing, well yes for the Vanguard players looking for a new home. No for the WoW player who is looking for a new home. Some players won't like it, just like some players don't like wow, but wow is the most successful MMO out there or something like that for a western product.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast