+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: This doesn't sound good...

Quote Originally Posted by Zederok View Post
    To each their own. I tried VG and thought it was a very boring game with bad animations and an overly cartoony feel (more so then WoW). The classes seemed cool but every thing else about the game screamed grind and overly complex for complex's sake.

If Rift plays like WoW and has all the bells and whistles that made that game fun then I am overly optomistic about Rift's success.
    You have got to be joking:

VG:

http://www.mysticgd.com/website/media/162.jpg

http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_m...70053/bard.jpg

http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_m...jpreviewth.jpg

WoW:

http://images.fragland.net/screensho.../248755340.jpg

http://wow.zuggaming.com/wp-content/...iend_mount.jpg

http://authoredspaces.files.wordpres...f-warcraft.jpg

Wanted to add another thing, as I've been pondering why the he** this thread exists, it's an opinon of 1 person from another forum.

This thread has huge resemblance to an MMORPG.com thread:
    -Brooding topic, that doesn't really tell you what the thread is about and ends with ... to lure you to read- CHECK
    -A speculative flame bait as the actual post - CHECK
    -Hundreds of pages of people trying to argue about a the above mentioned speculative thing, fanning out in all sorts of directions, derailing into actual flames and discussions of everything and nothing - CHECK

Perhaps we need these threads or not, I don't think they add that much, but yet they are very popular so I suppose people enjoy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyde View Post
    I should have been more clear - there are plenty of people on the server, the big cities are swarming with people - it's the outside world that is empty. And I did forget about one time I used the dungeon finder to group.

I should also mention that I started playing WoW to help two friends level alts when they bought two new accounts (they love WoW - but they've never played any other MMO). I also decided to start my own account to so I could get first-hand experience playing without them around.

Now, let me ask you something, when using the dungeon finder to form groups, how often do you have time to talk to and get to know the other members? Do you continue to group with them for days, weeks, or even months? That is the kind of social interaction that makes a game a real MMO.

In EQ it was not unusual to spend a month in the same zone, and maybe gain 2-3 levels - always in a group, and usually the same people I met in that zone. Sometimes we would continue on to another zone together.

That
    is an example of a good MMO experience. WoW dungeon-finder groups are more like a one-night stand with someone you never care to see again.

So, I'm sorry if I just don't see WoW as a real MMO (but I'm not the only one).
    Yes, I have talked with players that I have meet through the random dungeon finder, if for no other reason than to coordinate what needs to happen for us to succeed at the current instance. I have even had the occasionally really good random dungeon group decide to re-queue together, since we all seemed to get along pretty well. Have I ever grouped with any of them a few days later? No. Then again I haven't gotten to know very many of the random pick up group players from EQ2, that I would on occasion find myself grouping with.

It seems that you are making the argument that a good community makes a game a MMO. I would disagree with you. I think a game can still be massive and multi-player without a good community. I would agree that a good community does vastly improve an MMO though, and I would hope that Rift makes design decisions that will help foster and build community within the game itself, and among the servers.

Badge/Token Systems, 2 factions, Combo Points, Spec's, and almost everything else being compared here might be true for WoW and Rift but a lot of these came before even WoW. Just going to take a lot of patience to see how the game really is and will work in the end.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Xeavn176 View Post
    Yes, I have talked with players that I have meet through the random dungeon finder, if for no other reason than to coordinate what needs to happen for us to succeed at the current instance. I have even had the occasionally really good random dungeon group decide to re-queue together, since we all seemed to get along pretty well. Have I ever grouped with any of them a few days later? No. Then again I haven't gotten to know very many of the random pick up group players from EQ2, that I would on occasion find myself grouping with.

It seems that you are making the argument that a good community makes a game a MMO. I would disagree with you. I think a game can still be massive and multi-player without a good community. I would agree that a good community does vastly improve an MMO though, and I would hope that Rift makes design decisions that will help foster and build community within the game itself, and among the servers.
    As I said before, communities have changed a lot. Your guild is now your primary community. Pickup groups are generally less than ideal, although yes, it's very possible to meet some good people this way. In general, less and less people group or interact with people outside of their guild, so the old notion of a "server community" is becoming less important as time goes on.

That's not to say reputation doesn't matter, though.

I don't see how Rift can change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeavn176 View Post

Thank you for the reply.

I guess it just boils down to our differing opinions on what things make a game a good MMO.

As for EQ2, I don't include it with what I consider the 'classic' MMOs. It has a good community, but that is probably left over from before the game became so WoW-ified.

Like you, I also hope Rift is designed in a way that fosters a great community.

Its to easy to make 5 or so alts, the days of having just one or two toons are long past. Its hard enough to remeber all your friends alts,then some random person you might meet. Then you have to deal with all the DPS healers,tanking mages and hollow DPS tanks.With all the alts it makes it hard to know a community and build a good rep.

Quote Originally Posted by Todai View Post
    As I said before, communities have changed a lot. Your guild is now your primary community. Pickup groups are generally less than ideal, although yes, it's very possible to meet some good people this way. In general, less and less people group or interact with people outside of their guild, so the old notion of a "server community" is becoming less important as time goes on.

That's not to say reputation doesn't matter, though.

I don't see how Rift can change that.
    You're right about that, times have changed, and that bothers me.

In the 'old days', a lot of guild recruiting happened when you met someone you liked in a pick-up-group. You might group with them a few days, get to know them, and then invite them into your guild.

These days it's applications, probation periods, gear checks, blood tests, and giving up your first-born child to get into a guild. And then they turn out to be people you don't even like...

In the 'old days', a lot of guild recruiting happened when you met someone you liked in a pick-up-group. You might group with them a few days, get to know them, and then invite them into your guild.

These days it's applications, probation periods, gear checks, blood tests, and giving up your first-born child to get into a guild. And then they turn out to be people you don't even like...
    Its ok grandpa, we'll give you a senior pass

Rift Disciple

Suga made me take a urine test. True story.

I require credit checks, check stub, and proof of income. Can't have no broke bastards runnin around here!

You mean when pickup group were still a good thing and even people would just join a pickup raid and not think the worst about it, even thinking of it as a valid way to kill something.

Yes, you are old grandpa Slyde. Maybe we should go to the retirement home for old MMO players who have no place to call home anymore .

Quote Originally Posted by Slyde
    Quote Originally Posted by Raive View Post
    Its ok grandpa, we'll give you a senior pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Kindair View Post
    Maybe we should go to the retirement home for old MMO players who have no place to call home anymore .
    LOL, yeah sometimes it sucks to get old and be able to remember when things were better.

When it comes to the newer gamers who only know WoW and WoW clones, I can't decide whether I should pity or envy them for their ignorance.

They do say "ignorance is bliss"...

Well ignorance is indeed bliss...somethings about raid testing in VG I wish I didn't know..

LOL, yeah sometimes it sucks to get old and be able to remember when things were better.

When it comes to the newer gamers who only know WoW and WoW clones, I can't decide whether I should pity or envy them for their ignorance.

They do say "ignorance is bliss"...
    Man I wish the mentality would just change.

The new MMO requirements are what bug me. Now we all need to have our classes match so we can all do the exact same thing to kill the dragon and get a chance to role on loot that will only help us kill the other dragon. After that we can hang around in game and tell all the n00bs how elite we are and how they can't join us because they don't meet requirements. Craaaaaaazy stuff. aaargh... I know, if you enjoy playing like that its ok and opinions and etc - meh, runing the community imho.
    Shagroth, GM of Myth

a Belmont Guardian Guild
    http://www.Myth-Guild.net

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast