Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: So...I really hate people.

The OP has some valid points unfortunately. In terms of mmo's love it or hate it ToR catters a ton to solo play styles.

But, the sheer ignorance by a good portion of mmo players causes me to have little interaction with them out side of raiding.
    "That's all we expect of man, this side the grave: his good is - knowing he is bad."

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Azreell View Post
    The OP has some valid points unfortunately. In terms of mmo's love it or hate it ToR catters a ton to solo play styles.

But, the sheer ignorance by a good portion of mmo players causes me to have little interaction with them out side of raiding.
    ToR caters a ton to solo play styles because the planets are damn ghost towns and people are forced to solo.

Sure you can solo easily to 50, but what the hell are you going to do once you get there?
    Last edited by Gromph1; 03-11-2012 at 01:00 PM.

SWtor is easier to play solo.. but it is a very lonely game. This is a very different game. If you find the right people its a very enjoyable social place. There are many times we have fun in my guild and forget to play for a little while. We do all types of things.. sometimes as a group and sometimes solo. But its up to you to make this game what you want of it. There is a reason people in guilds try and do guild runs in almost any group instance.... because you know how the other people play... you know if they get on your nerves.. and you know if you will or will not have fun.
    Mariposita - Lead - Order of Paragon - Deepwood - Guild Level 25
    www.paragon.mmochiefs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Gromph1 View Post
    ToR caters a ton to solo play styles because the planets are damn ghost towns and people are forced to solo.

Sure you can solo easily to 50, but what the hell are you going to do once you get there?
    By no means am I a ToR fanboy but just to clarify - I am not sure which shard you play on but I never had an issue finding players.

Back to the point though it's my opinion especially with the legacy system coming out and what has been said about it - ToR would catter more to your needs. It's far more. Solo/story based while rift is the polar opposite.
    "That's all we expect of man, this side the grave: his good is - knowing he is bad."

The more you give people the ability to do everything themselves, the more you defeat the actual purpose of an MMO. Why in the hell would anyone play an MMO if they hate people?
    This would be so if for every one of the former you added, you removed one of the latter.

Giving the ability, or otherwise known as option, is not quite the same thing.

InB4, but people would just take the non-grouped route ; well for the people who did that, what does that tell you? That they would rather?

People who cite nobody would group if there were another option, are either of that way themselves and should maybe think on that and ask themselves why they are doing what they don't want to do, or they are not that way and therefore the statement isn't true.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Anuhart View Post
    InB4, but people would just take the non-grouped route ; well for the people who did that, what does that tell you? That they would rather?
    Add to the fact that NPCs are generally stupid. You can't tell the NPC "tank with your back to the wall". "Jump to the inner ring! Middle ring! Outer ring! Middle! Outer!". They would just stand there... doing what NPCs do (which isn't much).

This would be an awesome addition, IMO. NPCs are too stupid to properly replace players in all instances/raids, so their uses would be relatively limited. It would also allow groups hurting in queue timers to fill up some unfilled slots.

Unfortunately, it's a little too awesome. I can't see Trion putting in that level of time and effort for a brand new feature. It would not be anything even remotely close a small task.

I would love to see it. It'll never happen.
    Rift: 50 Rogue Tank, Two 50 Cleric tanks, and a 50 Mage

[QUOTE=Gumdrop;3659243]The level of complexity involved in adding NPC AI like you describe is prohibitive both with respect to its development and the computational resources that would be required to run said AI. What's more is that it introduces another aspect of the game that can manifest bugs and balancing issues (e.g. NPCs being useless or OP in instances). I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but rather that it's very unlikely to happen in Rift.[/QUOTE}

There's a lot of existing AI, and as it's been said, many other games have made use them. Even a simple pet-based AI would be something. Nobody is exactly for true AI or anything absurd (which has never been achieved, as far as I know). You can always build as you go.

It's not even a particularly new concept. Maybe have been added later in development; FFXI's "Adventuring Fellows were, IIRC, added a few years into the game's existence."

Quote Originally Posted by Gumdrop View Post
    No wait I take that back, I am saying it's a bad idea. It's a bad idea. The problem is in your mind. Learn to be less petulant and more cooperative. Try to compromise with player's schedules or go out of your way to accommodate if you wish to play so badly.

tl;dr: Stop being self-centered.
    Whoa whoa whoa. Nobody's being self-centered for wanting to play a game as they desire when it does not affect others. There are TONS of games that support single player and multiplayer, let's not think so inside the box that "zomg MMO must strictly be defined by player with others, or you're a bad person!"

I've played many MMO's in my day. I'm not going to go through and list my pedigrees suffice to say all the major and most minors are in there. I am most definitely a more solo oriented player in every game I play. I am that way in rift as well. Lately though I've been trying something differently, any time I'm about to do anything in game I'll post a message asking if anyone wants to join me. Whether it's taking care of the crafting rifts I have, doing my ember isle dailies, or even just spamming experts.

After a while I started seeing the same people replying to me and there's something to be said about knowing the people you are partied with. It makes it more fun for me seeing them advance as well as me advancing and it doesn't take much time to do. It has become much less of a headache and suddenly telara feels a whole lot bigger IMO. That being said I am not opposed to this idea at all. It would certainly solve some issues with lower pop shards.

I completely understand about the not liking people aspect but as everyone else has said this is indeed an MMO and sometimes what needs to change is our own mindset. Or you can continue as a single player game with the option of occasionally showing off to people who haven't played as long as you :P
    Pentium 233 (MMX!)
    128k 32 pin simm
    80 mb seagate hd
    external Iomega zip drive
    Intel onboard video (3DFX Voodoo2 Acceleration)
    creative sound blaster 8 bit

I mostly PvP, so an NPC AI party member that is helpful to your side 10% of the time could be a 9% increase in usefulness, in many warfronts....

Telaran

Speaking of hating people...

Had a group today, all from wolfsbane, kick me for being a 'blue wearing scrub' in an expert... with a single blue piece that was better than the t1 equivilent... It apparently shows i was 'too inexperianced to be there'

And then theres the group i had yesterday that had them all quit because they refused to run back after a wipe, because as the healer its my 'job' to run back and res them while they do nothing... yeah, that wasnt happening.
    Last edited by Dragonzord; 03-11-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzord View Post
    Speaking of hating people...

Had a group today, all from wolfsbane, kick me for being a 'blue wearing scrub' in an expert... with a single blue piece that was better than the t1 equivilent... It apparently shows i was 'too inexperianced to be there'

And then theres the group i had yesterday that had them all quit because they refused to run back after a wipe, because as the healer its my 'job' to run back and res them while they do nothing... yeah, that wasnt happening.
    This sounds like an everyday Heroic run in WoW

Hi everyone,

We have closed this thread and would like to take a moment to explain why. We do welcome all feedback, even when it is negative or critical, but we do ask that it is respectful and constructive, please.

If anyone has questions or concerns about this thread closure, please feel free to contact us at community@riftgame.com.

Thank you!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3