+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 58
Like Tree26Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Can we PLEASE have events be more in tune with the storyline?

  1. #31
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    18

    Default

    So...you're trying to tell us that the Ascended, with all they have done (by defeating dragons, Alsbeth, and Akylios) should not be able to relax and celebrate with a carnival? I can't honestly believe that the ascended were brought back only to fight, non-stop. I would think this should truly be a time for celebration! Have you never gone to a fair, just for a break?

    Now, if you missed out on the other events that really did immerse you in the story line at the time, well, that's really too bad, because they were quite fun. But many of us are very much enjoying the events that have happened and will happen in the future. (especially since Trion likes to lead up to new content with a world event!) And if we have a carnival type event yearly that lets us catch up on the items we may have missed in the prior years events, i think that is totally awesome!

    And btw...they weren't celebrating christmas, they were celebrating the Fae Yule. I dont recall any mention of "Christmas". Yes there were costume items that many of us loved, and many items that were remarkably similar to Christmas-y items, but sometimes you need fun things in an event too. I don't know why a red and white cap has to be associated with "Santa". That is just how you percieve the association. Trion offered up a completely different costume for the event as well.

    You might want to take a look back at the other events and everything the ascended have done in the past year, and then try to tell us they do not deserve to have a break and take part in a carnival.

  2. #32
    Soulwalker Somber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    8

    Default

    What Mr. Noudamarye says is entirely reasonable and of sound logic, however therein lies the problem. 90% of the gaming community lack reason and logic (or play games for the sole purpose of avoiding reason and logic). Rift, understandably, caters for the 90%. They'd rather 100 people subscribe for a month to check out the silly santa hats than 10 hardcore role players maintain their subscription because they're so wrapped up in the faultless lore. I say enjoy the lore and depth that's there and brush over the silly stuff. Lighten up a bit! If it weren't for the 90% bouncing around on their reindeers, Trion wouldn't be able to pay their developers and the developers wouldn't be able to develop your lore.

  3. #33
    Ascendant Xenoheart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,532

    Default

    I really dont mind what they do or dont do for world events. This one however is very very very VERY storyline related compared to most the others so pay attention to the phases that come and how each will impact the lore.

    However, if you dont like it and want to log out for 6 weeks thats one less person on my pinatas!

    I mean if you don't like the events because they are too silly, there is no one saying you have to participate in them. It's totally sideline.

    Of course you are entitled to your own opinion and I respect it.

    (but seriously, dont pass judgement based on fae yule, every other event was intensly story line related and this one will be the most).
    Xenohart
    http://www.fractureguild.enjin.com/ | twitch.tv/xenohartgaming
    4/4 TDQ | 4/4 FT | 5/5 EE | 4/4 GA | 3/3 IG | 4/5 PB | 2/4 BOB 4/4 minis
    I just make it look easy sometimes. ~Daglar

  4. #34
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noudamarye View Post
    Guys,

    After playing for a few months, I can see the devs are trying to keep the game light hearted, but I believe this detracts from the game itself. Especially for those of us that view it as a place to role play in a fantasy setting.

    The world is being torn apart by conflict - and at xmas - we have boglings with santa hats.

    Now, we have dragon pinyatas...

    I love that you're making events... But how about the same idea, but perhaps with some sort of planar souls that are making it into Telara that need to be slain?

    Seriously, for those of us that want to believe we are in Telara - fighting for our lives - this silly stuff ruins immersion.

    I brought this up in channels - and pretty much got told - don't like it - leave. Hey, can't we all get a better game by combining thoughts? I'm not saying get rid of world events... devs... Just take your own world a litle more seriously. There are some of us out here that are trying desperately to find an RPG with a story line with decent immersion.

    Silly santa hats, pinyatas, artifacts like deer tear (with comment that say "you monster") all ruin immersion. If the devs are doing that - how can we discourage names like "leetdude" from players?

    You've got a very beautiful world, storyline, and dynamic events. Please take the world a little more seriously. I logged off today because I felt like I was playing a coin op.

    Noudamarye
    Sadly its all fluff and nonsense now. Been like it for quite a few months. As I have said before I lost heart when the creators thought that killing dancing girls in Sanctum was entertaining. Other than being rather a sick concept there was no reason for it. The game went off the rails around that time. And looking at the stuff to come its going to be much of the same. But then players of Rift seem to like it I guess, so its just tough **** for the rest of us.

  5.   This is the last Rift Team post in this thread.   #35
    Rift Team ExcelsiorH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Hey all - lots of good feedback from all sides here.

    I'd love to hear this same conversation happening/continuing in a few weeks after the events of the Carnival had a chance to play out - not sure how much people peaked at the world event UI for the names of later phases (or had a chance to play them on PTS), but there is more than just a party.

    We had a very good discussion about the content of world events after Fae Yule, but only a part of that touched on lore - read here if you missed it: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...e-tedious.html

    As for The Fae Yule, it was a more light-hearted event, after a series of much more intense ones - River of Souls, opening of Hammerknell, Creating the travel gates to Ember Isle. But we still did try to ground it in lore, which it sounds like, didn't come across very well - that the Fae, in thanks to the Ascended for the slaying of Greenscale, were bringing the forgotten Yule Festival back to Telara, with a Fae twist.

    But the feedback is noted - a connected world is something we always try to keep a focus on.

  6. #36
    Champion BehemothDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    520

    Default

    LOL at people complaining about an event that as the dev's said hasn't even started.

  7. #37
    Ascendant Trisian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,498

    Default

    I completely agree with the OP.

    The vendor selling pendants made from the ice in Crucia's lake is something that fits the world and the lore.

    Dragon pinatas... not so much.

  8. #38
    Plane Walker Odnoc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    453

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noudamarye View Post
    No, it doesn't. Read Telara lore. A Christian God does not exist. The lore says its different - read it.


    Didn't see santa? I saw the santa hats everywhere. reindeer - don't see all those reindeer mounts?

    You say there are lots of reasons they'd celebrate the birth of Christ? Hmm, maybe not, since it never happened on telara. The Gods of Telara are well documented in the lore. Since Christ never existed - its hard to imaging a celebration of his birth.

    But since no reasoning skills seem to be needed to argue for the Christmas event by some of you - I'll stop using logic and common sense. You're right, all of telara woke up one day and said "Hey, lets have a big celebration for some God we've never heard of..." Yeah, that makes complete sense.

    Again - you're showing no clue of separation of player and the character he/she plays.
    Ok, Jesus came through a rift and is a celebrated prophet, better?

    Santa hats? yes, Santa? no...

    Reindeer? Tawny Fae Yule Vaiyuu? That isn't like any reindeer I have ever seen...
    Last edited by Odnoc; 02-23-2012 at 12:06 PM.

  9. #39
    Ascendant -Swag-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noudamarye View Post
    Can we PLEASE have events be more in tune with the storyline?
    Hang on a minute...

    ...There's a storyline?

  10. #40
    Ascendant nemecis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Canadia
    Posts
    2,168

    Default

    What does it say about a person when even in their RP-fantasy they're not satisfied?

  11. #41
    Plane Walker Zsokorad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    416

    Default

    1.1 - River of Souls
    Alsbeth unleashes the Endless Court on Telara
    Ushered in the arrival of the River of Souls raid
    1.2 - Spoils of War
    A lull in activity after having defeated Alsbeth
    Just fine-tuning of existing content
    1.3 - Waves of Madness
    Akylios attempts to drive all of Telara insane
    Ushered in the arrival of the Hammerknell raid
    1.4 - Legacy of the Fallen
    Telarans celebrate the defeat of Lord Greenscale and Akylios
    Spawned dragon motes across Telara for special items and event currency
    1.4.1 - Half-Birthday Celebration
    Telarans celebrate 6-months of the presence of the Ascended
    Bonus rewards while playing
    1.5 - Ashes of History
    The Golden Maw and the Wanton cults attempt to gain control of the ancient travel stones
    Ushered in the arrival of Ember Isle
    1.6 - Ember Isle
    The ascended rebuild the ancient travel stones and discover the lost Ember Isle
    Huge new zone and a ton of new things to do in all aspects of the game
    1.6.1 - Fae Yule Festival
    Telarans finally feel safe enough to celebrate the lost Yule Festival with help from the Fae
    A relaxing break from the serious events
    1.7 - Carnival of the Ascended
    A carnival starts to help celebrate a year of the presence of the ascended
    Just how long will this moment of peace and fun last?
    Ushers in the arrival of the Infernal Dawn raid
    -----

    Only one event was immersion-breaking: 1.4.1's Half-Birthday Celebration --- and it wasn't even an event. It was a single non-repeatable quest plus two weeks of passive reward bonuses while engaging in normal play.

    If you want to see an immersion-breaking event, check out a certain unnamed game's Valentine's Day event, which somehow lasts a couple of weeks. Goblins hovering with cupid wings and love potions. Lame.

    Rift is doing perfectly fine with the events. However, I really, really miss the atmospheric effects that were used during Waves of Madness. I'm still angry at all the players that complained about it, saying it made them depressed and other nonsense issues. The spines from the plane of death appearing everywhere, the constant overcast of fog effects and rain in every single zone was amazing to experience with regards to immersion. I hope to see some more atmospheric effects for world events in the future as well.
    Last edited by Zsokorad; 02-23-2012 at 01:07 PM.
    Deepwood | Aschana | H1325 | PA1427 | R94 | 20017 pts
    ~ Dedicated Chloromancer ~

  12. #42
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    9

    Default

    I loved the atmospheric ambiance from the water event too, wasn't playing for the Death Event so I can't comment on it and would like to see it used for the upcoming release of the Fire/Earth dragons. Maybe some burning skies and fire rain perhaps? That's be neat.

    I like this celebration - it's the 1 year anniversary of Rift and I for one find the pinatas adorable
    Last edited by shandi235; 02-23-2012 at 01:10 PM.

  13. #43
    Rift Disciple Nepentheia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorH View Post
    But the feedback is noted - a connected world is something we always try to keep a focus on.
    Here's MY feedback:

    I got it. I understood all the connections to the lore and the entirety of the storyline.

    Why? Because I paid attention to the dialog, the text, the whole of it.

    I resent the fact that people go out of their way to *****, yet DON'T go out of their way to be wholly present and invested by reading the text, the dialog and paying attention to the obvious and the more nuanced aspects of the World Events. It IS all there, one just needs to make the effort, dammit! *grumble grumble*
    You live, you learn.
    You die, you learn faster.

  14. #44
    Rift Chaser Greenmantle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noudamarye View Post
    Seriously, for those of us that want to believe we are in Telara - fighting for our lives - this silly stuff ruins immersion.

    Noudamarye
    look into the history of Carnevale its not fluff or silliness its the one last fling before a period of hardship.

    What could be more in line with the the story of a battle weary Telara partying hard fora few days before the proverbial hits the fan again.

    I.C: Drink eat be merry for tomorrow we die.

    OOC: Grab all the goodies you can now because it seems soon there are going to be a bunch of R8 Guardians on my ***

  15. #45
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ExcelsiorH View Post
    Hey all - lots of good feedback from all sides here.

    I'd love to hear this same conversation happening/continuing in a few weeks after the events of the Carnival had a chance to play out - not sure how much people peaked at the world event UI for the names of later phases (or had a chance to play them on PTS), but there is more than just a party.

    We had a very good discussion about the content of world events after Fae Yule, but only a part of that touched on lore - read here if you missed it: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...e-tedious.html

    As for The Fae Yule, it was a more light-hearted event, after a series of much more intense ones - River of Souls, opening of Hammerknell, Creating the travel gates to Ember Isle. But we still did try to ground it in lore, which it sounds like, didn't come across very well - that the Fae, in thanks to the Ascended for the slaying of Greenscale, were bringing the forgotten Yule Festival back to Telara, with a Fae twist.

    But the feedback is noted - a connected world is something we always try to keep a focus on.
    Thanks for the information and the response. It's most appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts