+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rokkual

Thread: Get rid of ranks!!!

Shadowlander

Default Get rid of ranks!!!

Is there really a need to go back to a trainer and learn new ranks for your spells & abilities? They should scale with your character's leveling. At least WOW got that right (finally!) Training Rank 2, Rank 3, Rank 4, etc. is nothing but a platinum drainer - especially when you have to go back and reset your souls (for whatever reason). I didn't like the build I was using and had to reset since I had points spent in all three. Then I have to shovel out the plat to learn all the ranks for the new abilities that I learned. <crying as my bank dwindled to almost nothing> Learning the spell/ability itself should be sufficient.

And to be honest, I feel like Trion punishes the player by making us pay for those ranks. With 8 souls to choose from, it is most likely that a player will pick combinations that won't be their final set. Most players have had to respec at some point. The overwhelming number of combinations creates some confusion which, in turn, contributes to a lot of respec'ing. I enjoy the versatility of soul combinations, but a lot of respec'ing wouldn't occur if there weren't so many. As such, players inevitably respec. Unless they follow a predetermined "custom" build that Trion now offers or cookie-cutter builds that are starting to appear everywhere (in which case, they probably won't respec), then each player WILL do so at some time during his/her gameplay to find the right fit for him/her. And what happens? Cha ching, cha ching, cha ching --- your bank goes to "0" as you learn 25 new ranks of your combined new abilities. Thanks, Trion. Nothing like having a built-in money drainer in the game.

On a similar topic --- It would be nice if we could just reset each soul individually rather than the entire 3-soul combination. That's one of the reasons why I delayed doing it so long because I didn't want to have to remember where I spent my points in the two trees that I wanted to keep. I only wanted to exchange my 3rd soul for another one. But, I had to reset the entire combination! Ugh! What a pain! Yeah, I had points spent in all three, so I couldn't just swap that third soul. A shame they only let you do that if you don't have points in the tree.

Telaran

I liked the EQ 2 system in which there were different skill books that were essentially ranks. You could either buy the basic books off of npc vendors or get the master books from mob drops. I thought this was one of the things EQ2 actually did right.
    Last edited by Rokkual; 02-22-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Shadowlander

You actually stated the purpose of having ranks in your initial post. One of the concerns of MMO developers is economic inflation. One of the best ways to prevent this, or at least slow it, is to have platinum drains, NPCs that take your platinum and removes it from player circulation. Skill trainers are one of these platinum drains. It's doing a good thing for the in-game economy. You definitely don't want inflation to start creeping in, and if there is one thing about Rift I have been impressed by, it has been the lack of in-game inflation.

+ Reply to Thread