Lots of good comments and feedback in here.
I've had the on again, off again pleasure of experiencing RIFT since Beta II. I previously subbed to WOW for a couple years, played WAR, LOTRO and a few others. For me, looking forward to what 2012 could bring that keep me engaged in RIFT:
1) Keep the regular content pushes
2) Continue to refine the sub-systems, especially CRAFTING
a) More synergistic recipies between professions
b) More synergistic materials between professions
c) More recipie option leveraging the Planar themes with +Fire Damage or +Fire Resistance, etc.
3) Make a concerted effort to evaluate and develop a balanced in-game economy
4) Make serious improvement to the Auction House - UI, item organization, searching, historical data (both personal and server), etc.
5) Add a new race or two for each side
6) Add a new soul for each Calling (assumes fixes and balances to existing to certain acceptable degree along the way)
7) Add little improvements like the 'Purposes' - perhaps Barbers, tabbed personal Bank Vaults, shared personal Bank Vault tabs for all my characters (yes I can use mail - this is easier), etc.
Some off the wall ideas:
Crafter's Board - Post LF xxx item. Attach materials. Let crafters create the items for a set fee (preventing theft of materials, etc.)
Sockets or Prefix / Suffix semi-permanent Enchants - Runes cover part of this, but there are obviously prefix / suffix in random in-game generated items, why not let crafters in on this game?
Guild Crafting - High level recipies available at set guild levels - guilds learn the recipies and individual crafters can pay a guild fee to learn to create T1 / T2 equivalent gear (helps progression guilds get new folks into the end-game faster, provides an additional use for guild levels, and helps provide an economy for in-game materials).
Just some random thoughts from someone considering re-subbing if things like Crafting get some attention.