+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 177
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Is Rift specifically designed for WoW players?

  1. #16
    Prophet of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,025

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    You do realize that there are an awful lot of adult gamers who can afford to play two, three, five, or six MMOs at the same time right?
    Cost is very rarely the issue, as an MMO subscription is cheaper than a night out. Its the time factor.

  2. #17
    Rift Chaser ShinEmperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Montreal,QC,Canada
    Posts
    371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    You do realize that there are an awful lot of adult gamers who can afford to play two, three, five, or six MMOs at the same time right?

    I'll tell you what makes you more respectable in games... and it is learning to type "you" instead of "u" and "people" instead of "ppl." That's because anyone who types like a kid generally gets ignored... whether you're a kid or not.

    That is just plain fact.
    I disagree with the typing bit... it's not how you type.. it's the content of the message. Personally, I look at the content of the message...

    Just generally, sometimes it's a language barrier or in some rare instances... learning disabilities... that can be at play. Some people type that way for the sake of efficiency... others are just used to the "textese" of the internet...
    Last edited by ShinEmperor; 01-30-2012 at 05:47 PM.

  3. #18
    Ascendant Laeris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,873

    Default

    Well, times have changed. Children are products of both their parents' upbringings and society norms. We must remember that kids today grew up in a faster paced technology heavy era. The average parent spends 60% less time with their kids than our parents did (I too am in my 30s).

    That's because parents are also tech junkies. There's TV, the internet, social networking, telecommunication, etc. All of these things were designed to make life easier and more enjoyable... yet instead of enjoying them for what they are, people use them to do more in less time. The end result is even less time at home and the time spent at home is often doing something that has little to do with child rearing. It's easier to buy them something to make them shut up and leave mom and dad alone. This leaves kids to be raised by complete strangers... IE, the Internet.

    They echo their parents' actions. They see mom and dad yelling at the slow drive-thru window cashiers. They're used to fast checkouts in the super market. They're used to broadband internet for crying out loud. Everything a modern teenager has today is delivered faster, easier, and with less effort than anything we had as kids. Grocery store? I remember cash registers that used to go "ding" when they rang up an item on a mechanical cash register. It took 10 minutes to ring up a full grocery cart sometimes.

    All of this convenience leads to "softness." Many teenagers are completely spoiled by society. Most have never had to work for anything (thanks even to government welfare programs for underprivileged families). Kids go to school almost 50% as long as we did. When I was in school, we went from 7:30 to 3:30 five days per week. My local high school nearby is 8:45 - 1:30 MWF, then 8:45 - 11:30 Tues and Thurs with summer breaks off.

    It might be me just being crusty and nostalgic, but I compare my days as a teenager to now... and I just can't relate. Every kid has a cell phone. Every kid has internet access so and they have more knowledge at their fingertips than I did until I started college. The sad thing is, they have shorter attention spans now. They never learned to type or to spell outside of, "things u ppl say wen u r txting ur frienz. I H8 this." Rather than learn things for themselves, develop their personality and speak for themselves... they turn to Wikipedia. Result: Dumbarses who have no voice of their own.

    Then... they come on the internet armed with all of this faux knowledge and short attention span driven by the "give it to me now" attitude they learned to accept as normal when growing up... and that's how we get the following today:
    "U ppl just need to **** and go play wow bcuz ur morons. Why u can't see my point? its cuz ur dum. i said this game will kill wow bcuz it has lightsaybroz and wow dont. if u dont like this game then go back to wow bcuz if ur trolling then ur waisting ur time. go and eat a d***"
    I copy/pasted that from the SWTOR forums. Kids have grown up on the world community... the Internet. That's why there's so much mindless hive-thinking going on with them. They have no individual voice because they never learned to find one. That's why there's so much, "X game will kill Y game because population going down" threads started by kids. Important to them means, "how many people are doing this?" If it's a lot... it's important. If something else has more people... it is more important. Anyone not doing the most important thing is dumb.

    People say Rift is dead all the time (even when the server charts show increasing pop on every single server). The problem is, they're comparing it only to WoW in terms of population. To them, being a member of hive-mind is about the closest thing to an honest to goodness family that they'll ever have. That's why they get so offended when someone talks ill about an activity they're taking part in.

    They have no real community ties. Their family life is ambiguous (blame society) and the only things they take part in are wide-scale popularity contests. Their persona is being defined in live time by what they're doing... and for teenage gamers... that is often their MMOs, their FPS clans, and their raid progression*(insert whatever trivial stat that kids take far too seriously...WAY too seriously). If you offend their guild, their game, or whatever it is they're doing... to someone without a proper sense of self... they see it no differently that you offending their mother, their family, or their religion.

    That's because they never learned any different.

  4. #19
    Ascendant Laeris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShinEmperor View Post
    I disagree with the typing bit... it's not how you type.. it's the content of the message. Personally, I look at the content of the message...

    Just generally, sometimes it's a language barrier or in some rare instances... learning disabilities... that can be at play. Some people type that way for the sake of efficiency... others are just used to the "textese" of the internet...
    Type a resume and use "ur" instead of your or you're and see if you get the job. "I am the best employee ur ever going to have. U won't be disappointed."

    When I interview people, I usually sit the person down at Microsoft Word on the spot and have them dictate the following:
    Mister Smith,

    Today, you're going to the store to get your mother some cranberries, jam, celery and Worcestershire sauce. Then, you're going to take the groceries to your parents' house and fix their T.V. before supper. After supper, you're scheduled to meet Mr. Brady at Mrs. Johnson's house to discuss Carl Adams' report when you get there. Please tell your wife it was nice meeting your children. They're wonderful and their visit was such a treat!
    I read it aloud three times slowly. I am sure to tell them ahead of time that It needs to read well. If they misuse your and you're or their/they're/there... they don't get the job. The rest of it I use to give me a bearing on their intellect really... and Worcestershire sauce is one of the most misspelled things in the entire English language. I like to see how people respond. All I care about though is proper use of your, you're, their, they're, and there.

    One thing I've noticed... I've never seen a younger person ask for help when spelling Worcestershire. They'll just misspell it. Older clerical workers with some experience will ask for a spelling. I don't tell them they can't ask questions... it's just that kids don't. They'd rather fail than do it right.

    That also makes me not hire them.

  5. #20
    bah
    bah is offline
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    You do realize that there are an awful lot of adult gamers who can afford to play two, three, five, or six MMOs at the same time right?
    And you realize that this rarely happens, right? The vast majority of people play a single MMO at a time, unless one of them is F2P. There are a small portion of people willing to pay for more than one, but not enough for a company to risk millions of dollars on.

    To the Op, yes, Rift is specifically designed for not only WoW players, but the kind MMO players that WoW brought to the genre. They certainly weren't targeting old EQ, AC, or AO fans with this game. The tagline was, "We're not in Azeroth anymore" but obviously they just meant the location, because gameplay play wise it might as well be Azeroth.

  6. #21
    Ascendant the_real_seebs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    16,859

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bah View Post
    To the Op, yes, Rift is specifically designed for not only WoW players, but the kind MMO players that WoW brought to the genre. They certainly weren't targeting old EQ, AC, or AO fans with this game. The tagline was, "We're not in Azeroth anymore" but obviously they just meant the location, because gameplay play wise it might as well be Azeroth.
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

    If you're still playing this game the way you played that one, you are missing most of the fun of this game.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

  7. #22
    Ascendant Skidrow Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    you are missing most of the fun of this game.
    If you assume face rolling content is fun..........
    Strive for Peace with acts of war
    The beauty of death we all adore
    I have no faith distracting me
    I know why your prayers will never be answered

  8. #23
    Ascendant Laeris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bah View Post
    And you realize that this rarely happens, right? The vast majority of people play a single MMO at a time, unless one of them is F2P. There are a small portion of people willing to pay for more than one, but not enough for a company to risk millions of dollars on.
    I'd believe this if you added a * at the end and then said,

    *if you're under the age of 18

    15 bucks a month... is pocket lint for a lot of people. For someone who is on an allowance or in university... then sure. I can see a 1 MMO thing. However... there are an awful lot of adults who play MMOs (my guild is full of them). On any given week we might do a couple hours of Rift, an hour or so on SWTOR, some time on STO and then some PvP on EVE... all in the same day.

  9. #24
    bah
    bah is offline
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laeris View Post
    People say Rift is dead all the time (even when the server charts show increasing pop on every single server). The problem is, they're comparing it only to WoW in terms of population.
    Not hard for servers to show increases when you close down 80% of them and give everyone who isn't playing a 3 day free pass to check the game out again. Even further, the pops are not increasing on every server anymore. That lasted all of a week after the servers were closed and now they are starting to go down again.

    Rift isn't dead, and it won't die, but is sure as hell isn't getting bigger. It's been hemorrhaging players for months. Growing games don't shut down servers. Of course I said that last round of server closures, when people like Seebs were claiming the game was growing, and told people they would have more closures over the holidays...and here we are, more servers gone.

    I get it, you guys like the game, but how you guys can go on pretending that the game is getting bigger is beyond me. Denial is strong on these forums.

  10. #25
    Ascendant Skidrow Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bah View Post
    Not hard for servers to show increases when you close down 80% of them and give everyone who isn't playing a 3 day free pass to check the game out again. Even further, the pops are not increasing on every server anymore. That lasted all of a week after the servers were closed and now they are starting to go down again.

    Rift isn't dead, and it won't die, but is sure as hell isn't getting bigger. It's been hemorrhaging players for months. Growing games don't shut down servers. Of course I said that last round of server closures, when people like Seebs were claiming the game was growing, and told people they would have more closures over the holidays...and here we are, more servers gone.

    I get it, you guys like the game, but how you guys can go on pretending that the game is getting bigger is beyond me. Denial is strong on these forums.
    Well if you compare the population to other mmo's besides WoW, ya rift looks like it's thriving
    Strive for Peace with acts of war
    The beauty of death we all adore
    I have no faith distracting me
    I know why your prayers will never be answered

  11. #26
    bah
    bah is offline
    Rift Chaser
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

    If you're still playing this game the way you played that one, you are missing most of the fun of this game.
    No, more like when you have perfect vision and aren't clouded by rose colored glasses, you can see that a nail is a nail is a nail.

    Rift has more in common and is more similar to WoW than any other MMO on the market. To say that they both aren't catered to the same people is asinine.

  12. #27
    Shield of Telara EranB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    715

    Default

    All those people who have never played WoW and enjoy Rift, would have absolutly loved WoW had they played it.

  13. #28
    Ascendant Laeris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bah View Post
    Not hard for servers to show increases when you close down 80% of them and give everyone who isn't playing a 3 day free pass to check the game out again. Even further, the pops are not increasing on every server anymore. That lasted all of a week after the servers were closed and now they are starting to go down again.

    Rift isn't dead, and it won't die, but is sure as hell isn't getting bigger. It's been hemorrhaging players for months. Growing games don't shut down servers. Of course I said that last round of server closures, when people like Seebs were claiming the game was growing, and told people they would have more closures over the holidays...and here we are, more servers gone.

    I get it, you guys like the game, but how you guys can go on pretending that the game is getting bigger is beyond me. Denial is strong on these forums.
    Denial is me sitting in a login queue on a Monday and you still telling me the game is dead.

  14. #29
    Ascendant Laeris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    2,873

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EranB View Post
    All those people who have never played WoW and enjoy Rift, would have absolutly loved WoW had they played it.

    I'm sure WoW is a fine game... however, it is known as the preschool MMO for a good reason... And that's why I choose not to play it.

  15. #30
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    37

    Default

    I personally enjoy playing Rift, WoW and Skyrim. I never understood the reason why people seem to think one game has to be better than any other game. Honestly, I like having the option to choose which game I feel like playing at any given time. Regardless which game you are playing, the important thing is that you have fun doing it and don't feel as if you "have" to because everyone else is doing it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts