Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: How many people has Rift lost?

Soulwalker

Default How many people has Rift lost?

I recently popped back into the Rift world for a 4 day bonus I found my account had along with spare items they gave me .... so that's all neat, and my computer is fresh so I wanted to run a decent game and have a little Rift Fun again ...

I logged into the world today, and besides the basic changes, which I neither find good nor bad .... I do find one change BAD, and that is that everyone is gone ... Almost every person I played with has been "Killed Off" ... None of my local friends play, and only one person exist in a once strong Guild of about 45 people ... So what happened everyone?? New Shards?? ...Upgrades?? ... What went down to make the Rift World Empty?... I checked a couple shards, and nothing ... its like a blank world ...

Ascendant

Well, the game is 9 month old, you cant expect people play it forever, Ive had 3 break myself. Choose one of the medium/high servers you're good.
    Last edited by June; 01-17-2012 at 01:52 PM.

Telaran

This website tracks server population based on the "low", "med", and "high" status exposed by Trion. You will find the servers that actually have very healthy populations there. 1 US shard has nightly queues and I believe a few others are approaching queues as well. If the shards that you checked have been designated trial shards, then yeah, you will not find anyone on there.

This portion of the website specifically shows you the week-to-week change on shards.
    Last edited by kschoe2; 01-17-2012 at 01:55 PM.

A VERY awesome troll. But, to help you along...here is some data for you...

Unless you are playing an an EU server, which you really never offer (and also suspect is the absence of WHICH server), you are NOT in prime time. This is not WoW...thus, you do not have players on 24/7.

To really see if you're having an issue (and are actually NOT a troll), why not try and look here...

http://www.riftstatus.net/shards/na/stats

Any server @1.0 or below is empty and will eventually be removed, as they have become "trial" shards. Now, look at the GREEN numbers...those belong to servers that have INCREASED pops lately...

Now, for a final bit of news...why not head here.

http://www.xfire.com/games/rft/RIFT/

See that large spike? That is from people PLAYING (and actually returning) to Rift.

All I know is I play on Faeblight, and the pops are out of this world. Very happy...and a very busy server.

Thanks for playing though, and good luck finding a server that's right for you...
    The biggest little guild this side of Texas - Simple Complexities
    WEBSITE

RIFT Guide Writer Sinfullysweet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FridgeMoney View Post
    I recently popped back into the Rift world for a 4 day bonus I found my account had along with spare items they gave me .... so that's all neat, and my computer is fresh so I wanted to run a decent game and have a little Rift Fun again ...

I logged into the world today, and besides the basic changes, which I neither find good nor bad .... I do find one change BAD, and that is that everyone is gone ... Almost every person I played with has been "Killed Off" ... None of my local friends play, and only one person exist in a once strong Guild of about 45 people ... So what happened everyone?? New Shards?? ...Upgrades?? ... What went down to make the Rift World Empty?... I checked a couple shards, and nothing ... its like a blank world ...
    We are now allowed free transfers, so majority of folks transferred to the higher population shards. (IE Wolfsbane, Greybriar, Faeblight etc) Plus there has been a lot of games that have come out, that people are more than likely juggling their time with. =)

Sinfullysweet of Grievance on Wolfsbane
    PLAY ~*~Twitter ~*~ Raptr ~*~ Sinfullysweet's Steam ~*~ Sin's Xbox Profile
    WorldofWardrobes.net is no longer available due to hosting issues *RIP*.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by RankNVile View Post
    A VERY awesome troll. But, to help you along...here is some data for you...

Unless you are playing an an EU server, which you really never offer (and also suspect is the absence of WHICH server), you are NOT in prime time. This is not WoW...thus, you do not have players on 24/7.

To really see if you're having an issue (and are actually NOT a troll), why not try and look here...

http://www.riftstatus.net/shards/na/stats

Any server @1.0 or below is empty and will eventually be removed, as they have become "trial" shards. Now, look at the GREEN numbers...those belong to servers that have INCREASED pops lately...

Now, for a final bit of news...why not head here.

http://www.xfire.com/games/rft/RIFT/

See that large spike? That is from people PLAYING (and actually returning) to Rift.

All I know is I play on Faeblight, and the pops are out of this world. Very happy...and a very busy server.

Thanks for playing though, and good luck finding a server that's right for you...

Not Trolling, but also did not care to look when I knew you guys would answer my question quite quickly ... I originally started on US Wolfsbane ... I do believe however once Beta ended I switched, but I actually did not take even a second to look, I wrote instead ... But no Troll Intention ... It was just unique to pop back into the World and not find 1 single character even in Merdian running around ... But if there is a transfer for free, which no I have not done yet, then that seems like my best option ... and that is the best answer for my situation ... so thanks on that one .... So much has changed, Beta lasted a couple months, then the entire group I believe fell apart in about a month to two after ..... But anyways, thanks for the answers ... that's good enough answers for me so I didn't have to look around and BS ... I'll just transfer ....

Soulwalker

Yea I was on ShadeFallen RPG ... wow ... so I switched to Greybriar ...

Plane Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfullysweet View Post
    We are now allowed free transfers, so majority of folks transferred to the higher population shards. (IE Wolfsbane, Greybriar, Faeblight etc) Plus there has been a lot of games that have come out, that people are more than likely juggling their time with. =)
    yea sadly...my mind is set on Diablo 3 and GW 2 when they come out at the moment. but seastone is a decent server.

i'm still loyal to rift (have 1 year sub still togo) but i'm waiting for something else todo on it, I've played since day 3 and all ive got now is raid progression...which isn't my forte to begin with
    {WinterXI >>>> 13th Edition}

Apparently I am going to be the only person in this thread who will give you an honest answer.

Rift has lost a very large amount of it's player base.

Tomorrow they are shutting down a decent number of shards and forcing players to consolidate on the remaining servers.

So after tomorrow there will be a handful of shards with med/high pops - at least for the time being.
    "That's all we expect of man, this side the grave: his good is - knowing he is bad."

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Azreell View Post
    Apparently I am going to be the only person in this thread who will give you an honest answer.

Tomorrow they are shutting down a decent number of shards and forcing players to consolidate on the remaining servers.

So after tomorrow there will be a handful of shards with med/high pops - at least for the time being.
    I knew that was the case .... thanks for the honest answer ... I saw everyone was being Captain Save a Rift ... but I actually did want to hop in and wanted to enjoy some good gamng .... but i saw where they lost lots of players

RIFT Community Ambassador the_real_seebs's Avatar

There are a few separate questions.

Participation (people logged in) is way down. Population (people who log in sometimes) is down, but we don't know how much.

To put it in perspective, the planned launch list had 17 servers in NA, with population caps of around 1800 (according to census data). As of Thursday, we'll be to 16 servers in NA, with population caps of at least 2000.

A ton of people left for ToR; some have come back. The consolidation to a smaller server pool leaves us with much more populated servers, and rift really does benefit a lot from a server with more people on it. (If you're not on one of the 16 servers they're directing people to, you're gonna see a pretty empty game now.)

Long-term? They're hiring 28 more people in the office where Rift is. Developer morale is high. My guess would be that they are WAY over projections, but not as far over as they used to be. What happens next, we don't know; I continue to think that the game will do pretty well and may start growing overall again now that the people who were just waiting for ToR have left.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

RIFT Guide Writer Sinfullysweet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FridgeMoney View Post
    I knew that was the case .... thanks for the honest answer ... I saw everyone was being Captain Save a Rift ... but I actually did want to hop in and wanted to enjoy some good gamng .... but i saw where they lost lots of players
    Not really save a rift, love the term though. People have consolidated to higher population servers, new games have come out that has pulled attention away, and the initial honeymoon phase is over is true. Guess I am one of those glass is half full types.

Sinfullysweet of Grievance on Wolfsbane
    PLAY ~*~Twitter ~*~ Raptr ~*~ Sinfullysweet's Steam ~*~ Sin's Xbox Profile
    WorldofWardrobes.net is no longer available due to hosting issues *RIP*.

Telaran

A few big guilds in the german server pool decided to transfer to 2 servers. On my shard there are a ton of players - Every evening we're listed as highly populated for the first time since launch.

There is a nice website which tracks the european server population based on an add-on, some players are running. It seems to be a fairly good representation, as far as I can gauge the server population. Currently it's only available in german, although the website will be translated to english soon, according to the programmer. (Here's the thread if someone is interested to get in touch with the author)

So... Now a few german shards are nearly dead. But on two shards it's like launch again.
    Last edited by LeCorbeau; 01-17-2012 at 03:55 PM.
    Indy - Underdogs - P8 - Warrior - Brutmutter[PvE - EU]

Quote Originally Posted by Azreell View Post

And wow has lost 2 million subs in the past year. I really doubt that we will see any more p2p mmos with a huge sub base like WoW was. It looks like all the games are either going f2p, or just sticking with 100k-200k subs max after the launch hype goes away. There are just soo many games to play, most people will not stick with one game for years and years anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    As for folks calling me a carebear, I've got 99 problems and being a carebear ain't one son. I've done far more than my share of virtual murder over the years. I've been part of alliances that have so heavily destabilized server balance in games that the other sides ceased to log in due to being so massively dominated.

Shield of Telara

While Rift seems to be losing more and more players every month, I can safely say that the drop has been very very slow.

The only time where the drop was massive, was after the first free month ended, where we had hundreds of thousands of players quit.

Since then, the decay rate has slowed down by a lot.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast