+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Race Distinction = Failing Grade

Shadowlander

Default Race Distinction = Failing Grade

The one thing I was always disappointed in RIFT has to do with race distinction. Now please don't take this as a comparison, because I am not, but the one thing I did like about WoW was that, even from afar, it was instantly clear which race belonged to which faction.

RIFT made the mistake in making the races look too much alike. In a jumble, aside from the Dwarves, you really can't tell from looking who is who.

Not game breaking, but just a pet peeve with me.

I... what, really? You can't tell the different between a bahmi, kelari, and elf?

I mean yeah, Eth and Mathosian look alike but...

Do you wear glasses?
    Retired from the forums. Enjoy some dubstep.
    100 Likes Received, 55 Likes Given, 7 Infractions, 4 Warnings, 3 forum bans. OOPS.

The races are all humans. That's the style they were going for. It's hard to make them look much different since you're comparing one human race to another human race instead of comparing a human race to cows, wolves, spacegoats, or trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjahax View Post
    The races are all humans. That's the style they were going for. It's hard to make them look much different since you're comparing one human race to another human race instead of comparing a human race to cows, wolves, spacegoats, or trolls.
    this is how i see wow

alliance:
    humans
    short humans
    shorter humans
    purple humans
    spacegoats (ill give them this one as "different")
    werewolves (ill give them this one too, provided they realize it does have a human form)

horde:
    green arnold humans
    lanky humans
    dead humans
    short green humans (ok ok, this is a stretch)
    prancy humans
    cows (this one too)

so basically i see wow as having 4 non-human races, out of 12

but all 12 are bipedal, sentient species

that said, if you cant pick a bahmi, kelari, high elf, and dwarf apart from each other in a line-up, somethings wrong with you, mathosian and eth are similar because they are humans, just from different parts of the world (as far as i know, anyway)
    Last edited by xanduin246; 01-03-2012 at 10:45 AM.

ugggh everyone belittling the OP must be JUST ABOUT as deficient as they think he is

look at the diversity of the races in RIFT compared to other MMOs. Clearly the point is not that you literally cannot tell the difference between them. The fact is they all use very similar models and look the same at a glance. Compared to FFXI or WoW where most every race has a distinct shape, posture, features.

TRION put a lot of work into detailed & realistic models though so were no doubt limited in this regard. I would really like some more diversity instead of just "yeah defiants are minorities" but whatever.

How can you not tell? O_O
    Hoss

http://www.team-vip.com/wp-content/u...fxiv_race3.png
    http://theirisnetwork.org/wp-content...05/figure3.jpg

vs

http://www.arksark.org/blog/wp-conte...s-Arks-Ark.jpg
    http://www.arksark.org/blog/wp-conte...s-Arks-Ark.jpg

bahmi males should be noted with dwarves for offering some diversity

having 3 real variations within 6(or 12) options is not very exciting though

I cant tell the difference between a female or male dwarf.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by xanduin246 View Post
    this is how i see wow
    SNIP.. I assume you were joking. Not one of the creatures, humans etc in WoW looks or more importantly moves the same as another. How many fights you been in with the opposing faction. I think the term humanoid is used too liberally in WoW just to bunch mobs into reward and attack catagories. But the OP was making the point that the races do look the same in RIFT. Other than one being shorter I guess when players are kitted up you do have a hard job spotting one race from the next.

Thing is it don't matter anyway cus they all play the same.... Couldn't play an elf though cus they run very strange. And I couldn't play a dwarf cus they run very strange. I tried defiant but found out I couldn't look like Asha Catari. What I actually would like to look like is Alsbeth.. including the gear. Come to think of it we need voice emotes in this game... thats what is missing. My Belf in WoW had some classic lines.. Like when she starts going on about the undead giving her a facial in UnderCity. And my Draenei.. "Are you thinking what I am thinking? Good. Bring an ample supply of butter, and Goblin Jumper Cables" .... Alsbeth has some cool lines in game. She's actually standing behind Cyril in the Guardian starter area before she became really bad.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Heckubuss View Post
    RIFT made the mistake in making the races look too much alike.
    Actually they made no mistake, because there aren't as many races in the game as you think. What some don't realize is that there aren't 6 completely different races in the game and as such most of them should look similar given their backstory. Allow me to explain:

Elves and Humans - Both in books, movies and games, Humans and Elves look the same with the distinction of the elves being taller and leaner. Such is also the case in Rift; Elves are a big-eared taller and thinner version of Mathosians.

Mathosians and Eth - Mathosians are humans who went to live in the north while Eth are humans who went to live in the south. As such, they should look the same with the distinction of the Eth having much darker skin and that is precisely the case.

Elves and Kelari - Kelari are Elves who turned away from the Vigil and left to live in the jungle interacting with spirits, lesser gods and other spiritual beings. Being exposed to the planar magic over a long period of time resulted in their appearance slightly changing, but remaining essentially elvish.

Bahmi and Dwarves - Bahmi are their own race who mixed with humans giving them their large and distinct appearance while having retaining some human traits. Dwarves are self-explanatory. Nevertheless, these last 2 look quite distinct to others given their body physique.

That's what Ninjahax referred to - Nearly all races are human. There's no cows or wolves walking on 2 legs. Save for the Dwarves and Bahmi, there's no standalone races like Trolls and Orcs. That is why 4 races look somewhat similar - As they should.

As for how races look from afar - With the exception of characters which were customized to be tall thin Mathosians or short butchy elves, it's quite easy to tell which race is which.
    Last edited by Darkai; 01-03-2012 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkai View Post
    As for how races look from afar - With the exception of characters which were customized to be tall thin Mathosians or short butchy elves, it's quite easy to tell which race is which.
    which is exactly the point! there should be more to it than this. there should be no mistaking the different races for eachother that easily.

the things you are pointing out is exactly the problem. whatever the reasons for the lack of it, players would still enjoy more diversity. Telara does have talking wolf people and all that jazz so I dunno why we are restricted to playing the "human" races even if the "human" races all have to look so identical to the humans for some reason.
    Last edited by kirsch; 01-03-2012 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AsphyxZero View Post
    Do you wear glasses?
    So you think that just because someone wears glasses, they got bad eyesight all the time, even when wearing them?

Derp.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by kirsch View Post
    the things you are pointing out is exactly the problem. whatever the reasons for the lack of it, players would still enjoy more diversity. Telara does have talking wolf people and all that jazz so I dunno why we are restricted to playing the "human" races even if the "human" races all have to look so identical to the humans for some reason.
    I'm quite split on that to tell you the truth. To use your comparison from earlier - Games normally either go the FFXIV way and make all characters look like humans of different sizes with minor differences[like ears] or they go the WoW way and every race is entirely different. Rift went the FFXIV way. Looking at the FFXIV picture you linked to and having played quite a bit with Rift's character appearance custominization, I'd have to say the races in Rift look more distinct from one another than the races in the picture you've linked to. Also, you choosing similar hairstyles and skin color for the Mathosian and High Elf, presenting them at similar height as well as picking one of the lightest skinn colors for the Eth from the available palette hints to the notion that you set to make them look similar rather than show them objectively, as they are in fact far more diverse.

All in all, I'd say there's too much unnecessary criticism as Rift modeled the races quite well with sufficient diversity given the backstory and in comparison to other "human-appearance" games like FFXIV. With that said, I'm all for diversity and would be glad to see some new interesting races. I'd prefer not to have werewolves and cow races but having humans who look nothing like the other races already in the game[Bahmi being a good example of such] would be great.

those are just results from google searching for "_____ races" - which illustrates my point perfectly. People love the different looks of the FFXI races so those images are easy to find. Finding the images for RIFT... They are not as abundant, and no one bothers to showcase the races in a similar manner.

I could not disagree more - the point is that when you are running through a town you can immediately identify a tarutaru from an elvaan from a hume from a galka from a mithra. Distance & gear are not factors. Whether you think the little details in rift offer more variety or not, the fact is that the groups of players standing around in cities all look the same as you run through them.
    Last edited by kirsch; 01-03-2012 at 05:30 PM.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimaetus View Post
    I cant tell the difference between a female or male dwarf.
    Neither can the Dwarves........

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast