+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 132
Like Tree26Likes

  Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Developer Q&A - Planar Attunement Respec, Upcoming Gear Changes & More!

  1. #61
    Ascendant Galibier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    10,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elrar View Post
    Adding Wardrobe weapon slots is a topic that comes up pretty frequently around the office. That being said we won’t be adding them in the near future =( Overriding a weapons appearance is much trickier then changing the appearance of a helmet or a pair of boots. It effects the players animations since not all weapons support all animations, as well as being a key indicator to what type of opponent you are facing in PVP. As such it’s not quite as easy to just toss in as people might assume.
    This was said to be an issue in EQ2. SOE's solution? First they were simply going to limit people to equipping appearance weapons that were the same type as the one they have "really" equipped. This was actually my prefered solution because I thought it silly my mystic with a main hand and off hand item could equip a two hander in appearance. I just wanted to make some of the bland hammers look flash. This is an EASY solution. just do what you do with appearance armor. I can't put on cloth so don't let me put on a sword and make the server and client check if I have a one hander or 2 hander equipped.

    SOE's implemented solution? They simply had the appearance item override the animation of the actually equipped weapon. That doesn't seem amazingly difficult as long as you keep the items to be equipped so as items the calling can use.
    Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

  2. #62
    Plane Walker
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elrar View Post
    Hail Ascended!

    Welcome to the first Developer Q&A - a new feature aimed to give you a closer look at the development of RIFT while answering common questions & suggestions. This list will never be exhaustive and we realize you all might have many questions but we aim to cover as many different areas of the game with each one as we can.

    Whether on the forums, facebook, twitter, fansites, or in game - we appreciate all of your feedback and encourage you to continue to share, thanks!

    Do you have any plans to make Hammerknell more accessible to more raiders?

    We’re fairly pleased with the current state of Hammerknell. That said, we always want to see more and more players get a chance to experience the zone while still being challenged and having a sense of progression. We always keep a close eye on how the community is progressing through the zone and individual encounters – for example, as you may have noticed, we recently implemented an additional reduction to the Toughness, Hit, and Focus required to be affective against Jornaru and Akylios, the final encounter in Hammerknell.

    Another project we are currently working on is reducing the massive jump in power between Hammerknell (and PvP Rank 8 players) and the rest of the game. Not to worry we’re not nerfing anyone! Hammerknell and Rank 8 gear will stay as is, however most of the other 50+ gear will get upgrades. Those players who are just starting Hammerknell will thusly find it a bit easier to get started in the zone and do glorious battle with the vile denizens found within.

    We know you’re undoubtedly excited to learn more about everything we just talked about – once we have more specific details you’ll be sure to know!



    Crafting Rifts are a great idea but can be frustrating when your rift is closed faster than you can get contribution and you can wind up getting little to nothing from them, any quality of life plans for this feature?

    Our solution to this is a bit broader than crafting rifts, but they’ll benefit as a result of some changes we have planned. The plan is to implement Rift NPC health scaling based on the gear level of participants in the rift.

    What does this mean? Right now NPC health only scales with the number of players at a rift, meaning that when players with very good gear start running rifts our scaling falls apart causing rift stages be completed almost instantly in some cases. This new change will make it so that better gear = stronger NPC’s in addition to the number of players. This should make each stage last longer and give you the chance to earn more contribution.



    A recent interview hinted at “driving a wedge” between Guardians and Defiants – anymore details you can share yet? Inquiring minds want to know!

    Ever read a news article that took one tiny bit of information and blew it up out of context for a catchy title? Happens to RIFT too! This statement was made in the context of the World Event being planned for RIFT’s first anniversary – during which a schism develops which results in Guardian and Defiant NPC’s getting into a drunken brawl (too much merrymaking). During this chaos PvP will be an optional method to the madness, but those who wish to stay strictly PvE are more than able to.

    Of course, what would a world event be without a culminating massive planar invasion that challenges the two sides to come together for the greater good? Until then - check out the article for more general info about what we've been working on!



    Is there anything roleplayers have to look forward to in the near future?

    It’s cool, we don’t like stabbing stuff all the time either – well, most of us probably...

    Homicidal tendencies aside, we feel you when it comes to fluff, and many here are avid role-players or RP supporters. We just posted the Notes from the First RP Town Hall, this should give you great insight into the discussion we’ve already had. To recap from it – we’re looking at ways to empower roleplayers to have the ability to run their own events and control over their RP experience. What that means is still being defined but to start things off we’re proud to announce that weddings will be making their way to Telara. You’ll have the dress, rings, and even an instance with a ceremony if you decide to use it! Expect to see them pop up on PTS in the near future and we’ll keep in touch as our plans for improving your RP develop.



    What’s the philosophy behind Planar Attunement? Are the points intended to be complimentary to gameplay or a form of it?

    While Planar Attunement can be used as its own form of gameplay, it’s really intended to complement existing gameplay by giving players more rewards for doing the activities they already know and love. This is why we’re constantly tweaking just how much PA XP players get from various endgame activities. In addition we’re making a few other tweaks to PA that will it to mesh better with a players particular playstyle, the most exciting of which will be adding a re-spec option!



    Getting Bind on Pickup recipes outside of raids makes me sad – any chance some of these can be made Bind on Use and brighten the days of crafters in our lives?

    Thanks for pointing this out, good news is we’ve noticed it as well. A number of our BoP recipes will be switching to BoE within the next few patches, so keep an eye out for it!



    Why are creatures on Ember Isle so much more powerful?

    As our 50+ population grows so does the difficulty of 50+ content we release. Ember Isle was designed to be more of a challenge for players that have been 50 for a while and that are actively engaged in some of the higher end content. Of course,Fresh 50 players too can definitely take advantage of all that EI has to offer, but they should probably bring a few friends!



    I’ve been enjoying Instant Adventure but with the exception of defending the wardstones you don’t do any rifts or invasions – what does the future look like for IA?

    Instant adventure is a pretty new feature so we’re still watching how it plays out on live, but we’re pretty excited about it around the office and have in fact been working on even more improvements. If you haven’t noticed already we’ve improved the XP payouts for 50+, and we’re also working on integrating dynamic content (rift, invasions, etc.) into instant adventures but we don’t have a set ETA on that quite yet!



    Chronicles and the latest World Events have awesome looking costume weapons, but no wardrobe slot for them – are there plans to allow you to change the look of your weapon through the wardrobe feature?

    Adding Wardrobe weapon slots is a topic that comes up pretty frequently around the office. That being said we won’t be adding them in the near future =( Overriding a weapons appearance is much trickier then changing the appearance of a helmet or a pair of boots. It effects the players animations since not all weapons support all animations, as well as being a key indicator to what type of opponent you are facing in PVP. As such it’s not quite as easy to just toss in as people might assume.
    (insert sad face here) oh and i dont see the problem with it in Pvp..what if you have r8 gear with costume on but use pve weapons??
    {WinterXI >>>> 13th Edition}

  3. #63
    Shadowlander UnRivaled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Elrar View Post
    Hail Ascended!

    It effects the players animations since not all weapons support all animations, as well as being a key indicator to what type of opponent you are facing in PVP.

    I have a hard time with this. All I am looking to do is replace a shield or weapon skin that you have reused over and over. Nothing like getting the engine casing out of hammernell and it is the same skin as the BOE from t2. I will gladly not be upset with no weapon wardrobe slots if you stop using the same skins over and over. Also your PVE players should not be punished because of something you say would not be fair in PVP.

  4. #64
    Sword of Telara Kutiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    805

    Default

    Not fair in PVP? Just don't let people using a MH/OH wield a 2hander and the other way around as well. It's not hard. e_e
    Be careful of the words you speak. Keep them short and sweet! For you may never know, from day to day, which ones you will have to eat!

  5. #65
    Ascendant Shattered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    3,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alessar View Post
    Hm, I thought if such a feature went in, it would strictly be type-for-type. In other words, I want to cover my ugly shield up with a prettier shield, or have my ugly staff that just looks like a dead stick be replaced by the Light of Meridian with its glowy top. You guys may be overthinking this feature.

    Overall great info! Thanks!
    Exactly! My Rogue doesn't care about appearing to wield a warhammer- she simply wants to sub in a better looking dagger skin for the daggers she is wielding. By over-complicating this, you ensure we'll never have the weapon wardrobe feature. :-(
    RIFT- now Pay 2 Gamble 2 Win
    <Shattered Chain> of Faeblight .::. currently enjoying Guild Wars 2

  6. #66
    Plane Walker Zsokorad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    416

    Default

    Extremely disappointed.

    Another project we are currently working on is reducing the massive jump in power between Hammerknell (and PvP Rank 8 players) and the rest of the game. Not to worry we’re not nerfing anyone! Hammerknell and Rank 8 gear will stay as is, however most of the other 50+ gear will get upgrades.
    This seriously sounds like a joke; punchline and all.

    Overriding a weapons appearance is much trickier then changing the appearance of a helmet or a pair of boots. It effects the players animations since not all weapons support all animations, as well as being a key indicator to what type of opponent you are facing in PVP. As such it’s not quite as easy to just toss in as people might assume.
    ...what?? Are you seriously trying to think of ways to make a sword and shield do staff animations? This is ridiculous. A staff is replaced with a staff. A sword is replaced with a sword. A shield is replaced with a shield. Simple! People have been saying this for months now. If a sword and shield is in the wardrobe slots and the player changes their real weapon to a staff, all you have to do is make the sword and shield icons in the wardrobe page turn red and they don't override the staff. Simple! I don't understand how this hasn't even been done yet.

    Extremely disappointed.
    Deepwood | Aschana | H1325 | PA1427 | R94 | 20017 pts
    ~ Dedicated Chloromancer ~

  7. #67
    RIFT Community Ambassador Talila's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    Very nice update It means a lot to have some answers to stick to now and then
    Looking forward to testing the roleplay features on PTS ^_^
    I went off to FFXIV. Here's my blog.

  8. #68
    Champion of Telara Sargonnas_KoA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaliguwra View Post
    Seems pretty safe, doesn't answer some really nuts and bolts questions.
    I feel the same way....

  9. #69
    This Space For Rent Scormus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    679

    Default

    Now, when it comes to the events scaling to gear, I'm all for it. Why? Simple...

    Shouldn't content remain a challenge?

    Now I understand people want to get better gear, but does it need to trivialize content? I don't think so. The topic in specific here was regarding Crafting Rifts, and people not being able to contribute enough to get decent rewards before someone else with awesome gear defeats the stage. By scaling the health of the target to the relative gear levels of those taking on the event, everyone - whether they have great gear or not - should have time to get in their contribution.

    Maybe its just me, but I like fighting an on-level Rift and feeling like it was a tough fight. But the longer we sit at level cap, and over time better gear comes out, we will end up being in a place where we are routinely facerolling these events, and that's no fun. At least it isn't for me.

    I want a challenge, even if I'm decked out in BiS gear all around. Scaling the health of targets in Rifts to not only the size of the group but also to the relative gear levels of the group will help keep these events a challenge, even as we get better gear sets over time.

  10. #70
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,954

    Default

    Trion, please don't listen to the people complaining. As a P8, HK-geared warrior, I can only be happy with all of these upcoming changes...Though I'm obviously disappointed I can't wield my epic two-handed flower of awesome while killing HK bosses for a while.

    My take on a few of the changes people are complaining about:
    --For PvP, bringing lower rank gear closer to the levels of P8 gear means I can finally have a challenge in PvP instead of facerolling low-ranked guardians all day. Yes, it's harder...but when I still faceroll them? It's going to be three times as satisfying. It does not make P8 useless, it makes it less overpowered -- I'd assume P8 would still give a decent advantage. But can anyone seriously say it's fair that, because you're rank 8, you should be able to 1/2-GCD a rank 1? Because in the current state of Rift, I do that. A lot. As a warrior. It makes the game completely unfair for anyone not already rank 8, and completely detracts from new PvPers getting in to PvP.
    --For PvE, gear scaling sounds awesome. I completely loathe 1-shotting rift creatures. Where is the fun in that? The challenge? Hell, the game? Yeah...It means I probably won't ever be able to solo major EI rifts (Really, I can't now). I would love if you still made that possible in some form via capping scaling at a certain gear level (Say, T2 RR levels).
    --I really, really don't get why anyone would complain about PA resets. I've been dying to have one lately, and now that I know I'm going to be able to get one, I can't wait.
    Maza the Mage <Damaged PvPness>
    Not playing a warrior anymore because it's boring.
    11/11 HK | 4/4 ROTP | 0/8 ID

  11. #71
    Ascendant BlackZodiac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,581

    Default

    if its a concern about changing weapon appearances for pvp, keep it seperate from pvp and give it to pve. seems that many pvpers complain about knowing what class they are up against, so why not give them what they want and give it to pve players who actually want it.

  12. #72
    Champion of Telara Alessar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,251

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Yeah, but this implies having to have wardrobe slots per weapon type, roughly, since people can swap weapons and that changes what they've got equipped.
    The way I see it, if you change to a weapon type that doesn't match what is in your wardrobe slot, the skin overlay just shuts off.

  13. #73
    Gro
    Gro is offline
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HairyBrogan View Post
    LOL I am so glad to be done with this game.
    the game is fine, its your perception thats screwed up.



    Why even give better gear then? Why not just remove gear from the game since it will be less trouble for your scaling functions... definition of backwards.
    some people have high unrealistic expectations, and disappointed when they can't have it all.

    you are still going to be stronger with rank 8 gear (if you're talking about pvp competition, and being better than others, because you feel you earned and deserve to) though I think the idea is that rank 8 gear and HK gear inflates the character scaling way too high, in pvp rank 8 can kill anyone else in 1-2 seconds that isn't rank 8. is that fun for either side? if you grinded rank 8 pvp gear so you could 1 shot people and not even give them a chance, or not have to use more than auto attacks and 1-2 spells, you did it wrong. the fight should still be a fight, though you should have an advantage.

    why should someone work for gear to trivialize the game? if the point for you is trivializing the game, I'm sure that wasn't their intention.

    in pve a geared player can trivialize all content below them, close rifts in 1 second, other players don't have a chance to participate, and for what, your ego? you overgearing content to deny other players gameplay, closing rifts easily because you're tiers above it is not the point of rifts.

    more to say, but won't bother, I'm sure it falls on deaf ears. don't need players who think like you
    Last edited by Gro; 12-22-2011 at 10:05 AM.

  14. #74
    Gro
    Gro is offline
    Soulwalker
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gro View Post
    the game is fine, its your perception thats screwed up.





    some people have high unrealistic expectations, and disappointed when they can't have it all.

    you are still going to be stronger with rank 8 gear (if you're talking about pvp competition, and being better than others, because you feel you earned and deserve to) though I think the idea is that rank 8 gear and HK gear inflates the character scaling way too high, in pvp rank 8 can kill anyone else in 1-2 seconds that isn't rank 8. is that fun for either side? if you grinded rank 8 pvp gear so you could 1 shot people and not even give them a chance, or not have to use more than auto attacks and 1-2 spells, you did it wrong. the fight should still be a fight, though you should have an advantage.

    why should someone work for gear to trivialize the game? if the point for you is trivializing the game, I'm sure that wasn't their intention.

    in pve a geared player can trivialize all content below them, close rifts in 1 second, other players don't have a chance to participate, and for what, your ego? you overgearing content to deny other players gameplay, closing rifts easily because you're tiers above it is not the point of rifts.

    more to say, but won't bother, I'm sure it falls on deaf ears. don't need players who think like you
    can't edit my own post without contacting admin, lol. I don't mean to be rude in that last sentence, but it really peeves me when people selfishly exploit others, as is the case with rank 8 pvp gear killing people in 1 second. the scaling is way too strong, and high gear trivializes the game for others because content wasn't designed for overgearing.

    the causes that lead people to exploit others bothers me because rift is mostly an inclusive game as you can see with open group, everyone receiving loot for participating, its not elitest or exclusive, and I think that ruins other games. if you want to spend time gearing so you can make content easier for you, thats fine, but if you want to take advantage of others that don't or ruin their lower level rifts with your hammerknell gear, thats not okay

  15. #75
    Rift Disciple Mushy2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackZodiac View Post
    that is very true to a point. that is why each item is character based and not all items are useable for each class and when coding it must remain the same. dagger for dagger, staff for staff etc. the "only" exception is the unusual items such as the flower, candy cane vanity weapons etc. they need to be coded differently to where they are labelled as a base item, used by any class and coded to when changed to that look on any weapon. its not that tough to do and yes like all things takes time to do. it "can" be done. btw, you obviously have not paid attention on the forum or in game. many have posted about this and 99% of the people use the wardrobe and would use the weapon wardrobe slot if added.
    Quite frankly I don't care what other people have to say about what I have to offer. If the devs read it and agree then I'm glad. I'm entitled to my opinion just as much as you, trion will do what is best for them. If you quit over not having a weapon wardrobe slot then go play a korean MMO like rose online where you can have a weapon wardrobe space, but only if you pay for it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts