+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Koe
  • 1 Post By Koe

Thread: Lack of melee friendly fights

Shadowlander

Default Lack of melee friendly fights

To start I'm kind of irritated by the lack of melee friendly fights in the game. It seems like every single raid encounter with the exceptions of a few, has an extremely unfriendly melee mechanic. I can't name an encounter that has equal footing for ranged and melee, except maybe Plutonus; all though the other fights might be "melee friendly", your dps eats it by another mechanic like a boss jumping out of range. I noticed this on Murdantix mostly, while the ranged are sitting on the outside of the room, smashing buttons and maybe having to move every 30 secs, the melee are on the inside having to dodge the barrage of rings on the ground. If a ranged gets hit by anything on Murdantix it's because they were too lazy to move a few feet, if melee get hit its because we have no place to stand.Vladmil Prime is melee friendly, but that isn't a difficult fight by any standard.

Then you having these snickering ranged classes when you get hit w/ "Duh, dumb melee is dumb", which standing back and smashing buttons and completely avoiding mechanics doesn't take skill.

I'm not asking for the fights to be dumbed down at all, I'm just saying that there should be mechanics that are difficult to both ranged and melee, while still allowing individuals to play what they prefer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellrime View Post
    To start I'm kind of irritated by the lack of melee friendly fights in the game. It seems like every single raid encounter with the exceptions of a few, has an extremely unfriendly melee mechanic. I can't name an encounter that has equal footing for ranged and melee, except maybe Plutonus; all though the other fights might be "melee friendly", your dps eats it by another mechanic like a boss jumping out of range. I noticed this on Murdantix mostly, while the ranged are sitting on the outside of the room, smashing buttons and maybe having to move every 30 secs, the melee are on the inside having to dodge the barrage of rings on the ground. If a ranged gets hit by anything on Murdantix it's because they were too lazy to move a few feet, if melee get hit its because we have no place to stand.Vladmil Prime is melee friendly, but that isn't a difficult fight by any standard.

Then you having these snickering ranged classes when you get hit w/ "Duh, dumb melee is dumb", which standing back and smashing buttons and completely avoiding mechanics doesn't take skill.

I'm not asking for the fights to be dumbed down at all, I'm just saying that there should be mechanics that are difficult to both ranged and melee, while still allowing individuals to play what they prefer.
    Johlen, Aleria, Greenscale, Galenir, Plutonus, Zilas, Sicaron, Vladmal, Gurgonim come to mind as preferring more melee than ranged (e.g. souls which rely on casting to operate, anyone with instant-only abilities with no range can be considered "melee").

Quote Originally Posted by Rounded View Post
    Johlen, Aleria, Greenscale, Galenir, Plutonus, Zilas, Sicaron, Vladmal, Gurgonim come to mind as preferring more melee than ranged (e.g. souls which rely on casting to operate, anyone with instant-only abilities with no range can be considered "melee").

If their abilities can be done in range, then no they can't be considered melee. Range doesn't mean caster, it means their abilities can be done at range, so they don't require getting into melee range to hit their target.
    Last edited by Cyndel; 12-03-2011 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rounded View Post
    The only ones that are correct are Grugonim, and Sicaron/Plutonus. The rest ranged are practically safe from all mechanics from afar..
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizaz View Post
    Your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad for sharing it with the world.
    11/11 HK(World top 10), 4/4 ROTP, Greenscale/RoS Current-Content Conqueror, GP Cleared, TDH Cleared.

Prestige Rank 8 in a weekend baby.

Shadowlander

Johlen: After 25% ranged move to trees to avoid the majority of the mechanics. Melee stack in the middle and avoid the bombs which drop in the only area you can stand in.

Greenscale: Ranged get a large room to move around, if a plant spawns on you move out it, if a bracken spawns on move out of it. Melee if a plant spawns on you move left or right, if a bracken spawns on you you're screwed.

Warmaster Galenir: Everyone stand behind boss. Ranged, if boss jumps out of range you can still hit it. Melee sit there lookng stupid until boss comes back in range, watching your dps drop.

Zilas: Ranged run around the circle blasting Zilas avoiding beam. Melee is cut off from melee range by circle of death around Zilas.

There isn't one fight where it is better to be melee over ranged. Most mechanics can be made less difficult, or completely circumvented by having all ranged in the party.

Koe

Virtually all fights are melee friendly.

It's just ranged do it easier/better.
    Free music! It's legal!
    DISCLAIMER: Some songs may have been taken down.

Rift Disciple

you know i was looking at it and you're right... the grass is greener on the other side. Think ill hop on over there for a while. Oh wait...

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Koe View Post
    Virtually all fights are melee friendly.

It's just ranged do it easier/better.
    It isn't that ranged do it better whatsoever, simply because melee aren't provided a platform to compete with ranged. It generally takes less awareness to play ranged than it does melee mechanics wise. In addition, most ranged/casters can still cast/use the majority of their abilities in melee range. Once melee have to move away from the boss, the majority of their abilities are inactive.

It is a matter of preference. I enjoy playing melee more, and I can compete with ranged for dps, but the fact that as a melee I'm required to do more in order to be competitive is my issue. Standing back and spamming buttons has just never appealed to me. Then ranged classes are begging for buffs and it is ridiculous. Mage is doing upwards of 2,800+ on Murdantix and has to move 5 or 10 feet the entire fight. I can only pull 2,400-2,500 because about 1 min or so I'm standing off to the side avoiding AoE on the ground.

Once again I'm not calling for the fights to be nerfed to make the fights easier for melee, I just want the mechanics to affect all souls evenly. It really isn't that difficult, for every mechanic that adversely affects melee, make one that affects ranged.

Koe

Quote Originally Posted by Hellrime View Post
    It isn't that ranged do it better whatsoever, simply because melee aren't provided a platform to compete with ranged. It generally takes less awareness to play ranged than it does melee mechanics wise. In addition, most ranged/casters can still cast/use the majority of their abilities in melee range. Once melee have to move away from the boss, the majority of their abilities are inactive.
    Ranged do do it better. Less movement required and less raid damage/more safety = doing it better.On zilas, melee are perfectly fine going out to magus' and coming back to zilas. The encounter is still easily beatable like this.

But why do that, when ranged can just sit in the middle and hit everything? They do it better.

Mage is doing upwards of 2,800+ on Murdantix and has to move 5 or 10 feet the entire fight. I can only pull 2,400-2,500 because about 1 min or so I'm standing off to the side avoiding AoE on the ground.
    Mages are doing 4k on Murd top-end.

As it is right now, you can bring all mages for DPS and win every fight.

That is not how it should be. Mages should offer the conveniance of ranged, but do 2-3% less damage than melee builds.

Melee builds NEED to do more DPS in order to do the same DPS as ranged while dealing with the inconveniances of being melee.

However, ranged need to be just that little bit much less so that they end up parsing the same DPS.

So, on a fight like Sicaron melee should parse better.

Period.

On a fight like Molinar, ranged should parse better.

Period.

On a fight like Zilas, they should parse the same.

On a fight like Inquisitor, they should parse the same.

Period.
    Free music! It's legal!
    DISCLAIMER: Some songs may have been taken down.

Banned

answer is no

the current state of melee is LEAGUES beyond the way it was at launch... it was awful then
    Decibel - a really bad bard
    Humiliator - a really bad mage
    Briq - a lowbie cleric
    <Goes Down Easy> Guardians of Shatterbone
    Exquisite Cloth offers a quest!

+ Reply to Thread