+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Plane Talkin' - People still read?

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1

Default Plane Talkin' - People still read?

Hey everyone!

So we're trying out a new regular feature called "Plane Talkin'" (pun intended) - this is just an informal discussion around a specific subject, sometimes it will be topical other times it will be for the laughs. We won't be hand-holding the discussions and are interested to see where the conversation goes.

The only rules are -
    - Keep it constructive
    - Respect the opinions of others (even if you disagree)

So, without further ado - here's this weeks topic:

Do you read quest text and why? Do you feel you understand the basics of the story without reading, is the story unimportant to you? Are there any quests you remember reading/wanting to read - what set those apart?

Talk amongst yourselves

I try my best to read the quest text, but don't always bring myself to finish em all. I've been told by my RL friends that play that reading the quest text will help you get more engaged with the story, enjoy the game more, stuff like that. My gf outlevels all my alts by twice my leveling speed. When I ask her "how?!" she simply says "The story is so good!"

Sometimes, however, I get set on stuff. Like my cleric alt, trying to get him to his satyr pet- I quit reading the quest text, even though it was my first defiant character, simply because I was DYING to get to that Satyr.

From what I have seen, the story looks amazing. It is just that some bits of it do lose my interest for a while. I ALWAYS try to read the story quests, though. If I see that offcolor, that screams "read me!" lol

Also, this might be affected by me being a PvPer. I focus more on the PvP aspect of the game, so may not focus as much on the PvE aspects like quest stories and such. Other times I quit caring about quests entirely and just Rift.
    Last edited by Tolmos; 11-10-2011 at 01:56 PM.
    Rift: 50 Rogue Tank, Two 50 Cleric tanks, and a 50 Mage

I always, without fail, read any quest marked as story (convienient tag). I will not always read all others, but I average more than not most of the time. However, I will often pick up a bunch of quests without reading them, then read them one by one as I go to start doing them.
    Characters:
    Sir Atair the Hurricane <The Platinum Order>: Lvl 50 Rogue - Guardian on Faeblight
    Formerly Sir Altair the Hurricane <Pulse> of Shadefallen

I've read The Wheel of Time series (excluding the newest book which I've only read once so far) 7 times. Reading quest text is mere child's play to me. CHILD'S PLAY!!!
    Even free cost too much now

usually ill read everything on a specific "main" character that i will try to do everything with. on other characters, if i quest, i simply hand them in.
    i feel like there isnt very much story tied into rift yet. it almost feels like it had no past.
    story is very important in an rpg of any kind. most people who play rpg's enjoy being immersed into a different world, and the richer that world is, the more rewarding it is to be there.
    i really wanted to read each soul's quest, but it was removed instead of improved. i enjoyed reading about the boar spear guy. im still hoping "soul chronicles" make a comeback in the future.

I am sorry to say, no I do not take the time to read or follow the lore (story in quest)- I come to play and be entertained via playing. When I want peaceful relaxation I read a book. But I respect some people, like my husband, are very much into lore and the how and why...
    Have you ever wanted to?

Champion

Almost all of the quests in this game:
    - are amazingly short
    - have indicators on where to go
    - have an icon on what to do when there. Eg. clicky in the summary if there is an item to use

As a result of that degree of simplicity, you do not need to read the quest. In fact, there is not a single quest in this game I have read, including the epic sagas.

You do not need to get attached to any quest in the game because it is over before you get any emotional commitment to it. You do not need to read the quest because there is no complexity to it as all you need to do is follow the star.

In Eq1, I had to read the quests and greatly enjoyed them. Discovering the shaman epic, finding where to go, identifying what keyword you needed (e.g /say "what spear of fate") to succeed made the quests a lot of fun. Rift will struggle with that because it's all designed to be so simple - effort is not required, so neither is emotional engagement. I could still many years later describe the lore in the shaman epic. I can't explain the lore involved with something I did 5 minutes ago in Rift.

Having some quests which were much harder, took much longer per segment and which were unlikely to be completed by everyone capable of merely logging into the game would add some depth to my play experience.
    Last edited by Fafryd; 11-10-2011 at 02:16 PM.

I read every quest I do the first time through - kinda obsessive about it.

Still, I do not feel I have a good grasp on the story, progressing through the zones it seemed all over the place... Lots of little stories, not getting the bigger picture yet... I have a lot more to do, but that was how I felt leveling up.

And honestly... I do not remember feeling all that motivated to read any of it. Some of the bits with Kira Thanos and the faceless man were memorable but even then the actual quest text was usually the least compelling part, most of the real flavour came through in the things they say or the optional bits of text.

It always feels like a drag when I turn in a quest and see five more unlock and realize I gotta read them all before I can head out to do them.

aux

I don't read much quest text... in fact I don't really do many quests at all. I prefer group based play, so there's not really much time to read.
    I'm so BORED

Sword of Telara

I read the quest text one time through, and that's it. Subsequent characters breeze through the quests. I do read every book I collect too though, it makes for some interesting background and would love more of these, it makes a great 9albeit short read) library.

I can't imagine not reading them and understanding the world, just reading the starter quests in Defiant and Guardian side alone makes me understand the gray between who's the bad guys and who's the good guys (answer, neither), and the general mood of the two sides (Defiant-hopeful, Guardian-fearful).

If there were serials on the storyline outside of the game, I would give them a read too.

I semi-often read the quest text, more sometimes than others. I have read all the text in the Adrianna Weaver line because it is SO COOL. I remember being so impressed when I got to Stonefield and THERE SHE WAS. After I'd heard of her previously.

I am more likely to read it in a new zone, and often I find that the explanations offered do add some depth to the quests. I also find that there's a fair bit of clever and/or funny writing buried in here.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

I read quest text as a matter of course (which has saved my group a few times... lol) but I find most of it to be relatively... unengaging? It's pedestrian, and could be improved upon.

Then again, I played Everquest 2 where the lore is thicker than the Bible/Quran/*Insert other thick tome here* so I may have been a litttttle bit spoiled there.
    60Rog/PR64 - Cleared - FT | EE
    1-button TOTALLY AFK Rogue and Cheerleader for Blitz!

I read the quest text, but not in game i usually look up the quest online and get my info there. The text is too small and feels like a wall of text.

Yes I absolutely do.

But Kill and Collect 10s are useless. May as well have *several* great storylines around a whole zone, and give us 'tokens' from killing and collecting things around a zone. Scarwood had a good idea with the hunting tokens, but it wasn't emphasized enough so it just became a side activity hidden inside a huge mass of generic quests. It also drowns out the GOOD quests like the Kain storyline, Sagespire, the Life Rift with Asha, etc.

Reminds me a bit of Final Fantasy XII, but you know what? That game did sidequesting in a very good way. You collect the loot you want and exchange it for rewards and exp, or you can just progress how you want on the main storylines.

~~~~~

As for Rift in its current form, I read most quests, if only for my 'Quest OCD', needing to know what those text boxes say. MANY of the quests are very uninspired and just push you along from place to place, BUT there are shining examples of good questing out there, so I do have hope.

The focus shouldn't be on using 'immersion' a tagline (like the Ember Isle Dev Video did), but have immersion as a *result*. Everything you do as a dev, either contributes to or hampers progress towards getting the players immersed, and just placing in elements that you feel 'increase immersion' isn't going to help. Think more along the lines of 'this will help players understand this plot element' and 'this will show an amazing scene that will get players talking!' and immersion will happen as the result.

Questing needs a boost of that, but I did notice that Weaver, Water Saga, Chronicles, and what I have seen of Ember Isle, is at least an improved version of what we've had. At least its not Freemarch and Scarwood-Guardian :S

Quote Originally Posted by weiland View Post
    I read the quest text, but not in game i usually look up the quest online and get my info there. The text is too small and feels like a wall of text.
    That's an issue. Having text all around is FINE, and even Guild Wars 2 with its 'interactive and dynamic world' will be having (optional) text boxes with more details...

But having it as the focus of learning about Telara, that's a weakness. We care more about Adriana Weaver because she's doing things in front of us, AND is speaking not in a text box, but in front of our eyes. We care more about Kain by witnessing the steps of his corruption, not by reading an NPC saying 'That Kain, he's a problem.'.

Text is fine, but it should only assist and 'fill out' the storytelling in an MMO.

Characterization in text is also important. Rift seems to have an issue with giving its regular NPCs (the ones you never see again) very little character, and a bland feeling. God...Freemarch :S. It also often seems like outside of focused upon characters (Penthas, Katia maybe, Kain, etc for Guardians), most faction NPCs 'act' like everyone else in their faction. You know just how 90% of Defiants will 'act', and how 90% of Guardians will 'act'. So why look deeper into them? We know the main guys, like Jebiah, Faceless Man, and so on will act differently, but everyone else is just stuck in 'placeholder' status.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast