+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: The add-on I want now. ;)

Banned

Default The add-on I want now. ;)

I want the add-on that gives me the ability to turn OFF my damage output to other add-ons that want to see it. ;)

All's fair in love and gaming and war. ;) So let it be written so make it so....Trion. ;)

all data goes to a combat log, every last mmo to date has this exact same format and thus programs like ACT work for every last mmo to date and will be able to parse them... fortunately rift (like wow) made it even easier to parse these datas (bypassing the combat log) meaning you are now hosed!
    Useful Rogue guides since I don't want to answer 50 billion questions anymore:
    Marksman, Ranger, Nightblade, Blink'Blade, Asstalker, Assdancer, and finally The Hoko Spec™
    Hoko, teaching noobs the way of rogue pve until 12/20/11.

Telaran

Just change LogCombatConsole = True to False in Rift.cfg.

Quote Originally Posted by The Skirrid View Post
    Just change LogCombatConsole = True to False in Rift.cfg.
    Doesn't that just stop him from being able to use a parser. Other people will still be able to as his damage shows in their log by a selection in game? Could be wrong, not sure.

Never gonna happen, nor should it. You have a legitimate interest in knowing about combat events involving your party members. Just deal.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Quote Originally Posted by Femme Fatal1 View Post
    I want the add-on that gives me the ability to turn OFF my damage output to other add-ons that want to see it. ;)

All's fair in love and gaming and war. ;) So let it be written so make it so....Trion. ;)
    I like this idea, Ive been playing mmos since the start of EQ (now I feel old lol) but while WoW should some great innovation it also showed how stupid, irritating, and horrible the communities can be when they are allowed to use data in ways other than originally intended. I for one, was against dps meters at all in this game and am sad they allowed it. But the way I see it the OP has a point, if I dont want others to use my data why should I be forced to? Let the "leet" players believe they know everything and whine and cry about what is being said here, theyll get over it.
    All your whining and elitism makes me laugh

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Never gonna happen, nor should it. You have a legitimate interest in knowing about combat events involving your party members. Just deal.
    I'm kind of a jerk on these forums from time to time: where exactly can I apply to become a community ambassador?

Though I do agree with you here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayner View Post
    I'm kind of a jerk on these forums from time to time: where exactly can I apply to become a community ambassador?

Though I do agree with you here.
    Well, the thing is.

Sometimes what's most friendly to do is not to paper something over or cover it up. The reality is, there are sound reasons for people to have access to the information they need to run DPS meters, and there are sound reasons to let them do so, and it's not going away. So people are gonna have to deal with it, and the sooner they accept this and start thinking about how they can find peace or happiness in a world in which MMOs allow damage parsing, the sooner they will be happy.

My solution has been that the Kama Sutra is an illustrated partial list of the things I do not give whether people in my parties think I am doing enough damage. If someday I get kicked from a group because someone dislikes how I'm doing, great, that will get me out of a group with jerks and make it easier for me to get into a group with people who aren't jerks.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

It's bad enough that most random people in T2s are jerks I have to suffer with without having to deal with snowflakes who can't stand the idea of having their numbers (or lack thereof I suppose) exposed to the world.

Another way to do it that's much easier. Join a guild that doesn't care about your DPS, never pug.

Problem solved.
    Mage Class Lead of <Arisen> - Wolfsbane
    Imriel 50 Mage | Aurelenath 50 Cleric
    4/4 GP | 4/4 DH | 5/5 GSB | 5/5 RoS

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Well, the thing is.

Sometimes what's most friendly to do is not to paper something over or cover it up. The reality is, there are sound reasons for people to have access to the information they need to run DPS meters, and there are sound reasons to let them do so, and it's not going away. So people are gonna have to deal with it, and the sooner they accept this and start thinking about how they can find peace or happiness in a world in which MMOs allow damage parsing, the sooner they will be happy.

My solution has been that the Kama Sutra is an illustrated partial list of the things I do not give whether people in my parties think I am doing enough damage. If someday I get kicked from a group because someone dislikes how I'm doing, great, that will get me out of a group with jerks and make it easier for me to get into a group with people who aren't jerks.
    I have to ask, what sound reasons? MMO groups did fine before damage meters came along and they would sitll do fine without them. I have been playing these for a long time and actually remember before add-ons where this huge deal. To be honest its not just dps meters that irritate me, its the mentality add ons ultimately bring on. It wont be long before certain add ons will be required by many just to run raids, pvp groups, etc and I for one do not like the idea of having required third party programs to play the game. Just like I now refuse to use vent or ts. I raided for years in EQ and WoW and used Vent and TS quite a bit during my stint in wow. Now I wont use it, not because the program is bad but because I will not be told I have to have an additional program to play the game. Sadly for this reason I will likely never see a raid in RIFT but I will stand by this.

Here is the main point: Games are here for entertainment, not so a bunch of whiny kids who have to win every time and have everyone do exactly what they do, or feel some entitlement to have others do it their way can have everything they want. I promise you if you disallowed addons and vent people would whine and complain and then learn to deal and the game would go on. You do not NEED addons you do not NEED voice chat, we got along with it fine for a long time and if you cannot figure out how to do it without it that is truly sad. I pay my $15 a month so I can enjoy the game my way and its pathetic that I would be required to do it someone elses way because they whine and cry until they get what they want.

Plane Touched

Actually isn't possible. So sorry, nothing will stop people from seeing how crappy your DPS is.

If your worried that much about it, you probably shouldn't que as DPS. Instead of whining about DPS meters, your time would be better spent researching and finding a good dps build/rotation, really not that hard, all the info is just layed out on the forums already for every class. See if you did that, you wouldn't have to worry about other people seeing your DPS.

aux

If we can also get the option to filter out the people with that addon, when in the LFG queue, everybody wins.
    I'm so BORED

Quote Originally Posted by Kakiro View Post
    Actually isn't possible. So sorry, nothing will stop people from seeing how crappy your DPS is.

If your worried that much about it, you probably shouldn't que as DPS. Instead of whining about DPS meters, your time would be better spent researching and finding a good dps build/rotation, really not that hard, all the info is just layed out on the forums already for every class. See if you did that, you wouldn't have to worry about other people seeing your DPS.
    While I do not know the OPs dps situation, and I know mine is not T2 ready, I have seen the horror these meters cause. I played a mage in WoW for a long time and was constantly changing my build and rotation with the nerfs and buffs and generally was 1st or 2nd in heroics and in the top 5 in 25 mans. Problem you get isnt just people who do crappy dps but people who dont want to allow others to gear up to max because they just want their daily runs to go as fast as possible and kick anyone who isnt fully in top tier dps gear so they can cut down on time. I ran into that several times at the starts of expansions when I wasnt in my full new tier set yet and wasnt running with my guild. Even if I was doing more than enough dps for the dungeon the group would kick because it wouldnt be a cake walk 15minute faceroll everything run (obviously WOTLK would be an exception to all of this since you could faceroll everything undergeared and could acquire T9 in under a week of dailies) but its not the occasional low dps thats my problem, its the elitists who kick the guy whos doing ok not great and we all have to wait for that great guy, then of course that takes too long so the group /ragequits and we all get to wait longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakinor View Post
    but its not the occasional low dps thats my problem, its the elitists who kick the guy whos doing ok not great and we all have to wait for that great guy, then of course that takes too long so the group /ragequits and we all get to wait longer.
    This. QFT.

Ascendant

If you're doing horrible DPS/HPS and causing the group to wipe/be inefficient, your concern should not lie with concealing this fact, but rather addressing it.
    Raenryong@Deepwood R69 ~ Amathys@Zaviel (Rogue)
    Serefina@Deepwood R66 ~ Solserefina@Zaviel (Warrior)
    Seraena@Deepwood R80 ~ Seraena@Zaviel R70 (Cleric)
    Avalonia@Deepwood R66 ~ Avalonia@Zaviel (Mage)
    <Dauntless> ~ <Excellence>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast