+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Now mounts cost money?

A cash shop would obviously be well received. They should just go ahead with it.

I would pay for an Alsbeth mount. Big money- no piddly 10$ either.

P.S. Or Shayla- they are certainly big enough to let me ride piggy back.
    Last edited by TheGamerDown; 10-16-2011 at 11:34 AM.

Shadowlander

Can only assume your reply is a joke, or you hope trion fails lol
    Last edited by Gersidi; 10-16-2011 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jariath View Post
    I personally think it was a bad idea going down this road, all the people that have given them 10$ have essentially said its ok for them to do this. I now foresee this type of thing being down at least every six months, and that is really sad.
    I signaled that it was okay for them to do this when I bought the first $10 account upgrade with my pre-order. I'm also glad that I could buy the upgrade for $10 instead of having to buy a complete product key for $50. It made the difference in me buying or passing on it.

If they come out with them every six months or a year, and I like what is in them, then I will probably buy them. If they get expensive or come too often, or make too much exclusive to purchases, then I probably won't. If the game becomes all about shopping for stuff in the "store" like it is in LotRO, then I'll move on to another game. I'm here to kill stuff and farm shinies, not go shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGamerDown View Post
    A cash shop would obviously be well received. They should just go ahead with it.

I would pay for an Alsbeth mount. Big money- no piddly 10$ either.

P.S. Or Shayla- they are certainly big enough to let me ride piggy back.
    If you're trying to be sarcastic then: Your sour perspective comes from projecting too much of your personal morality in a situation where there is no moral dilemma.

Can you name a major title where there aren't micro-transactions of some type (cash shop, pre-order bonuses, collector's edition exclusives, or expansion packs)? The only game I can think of where we got it all for our subscription was Lineage 1. I never paid for an xpac in that game and I never had to purchase anything out of game. I'm guessing your list is going to be very short so why is it suddenly a big deal here now? Or is this all about posturing from the soapbox?

Quote Originally Posted by Gersidi View Post
    Can only assume your reply is a joke, or you hope trion fails lol
    I usually don't reply- just make my observations.

Never have I EVER said do I want Trion to fail or die. I'm just a very realistic person that's been involved with many MMOs over the years and know how it goes. Rift is a poster child for a game that will eventually go f2p. That's pretty much the extent of what I've said. Might be the best decision they ever made honestly.

Watch my videos, read my prior messages, and point to one time have I ever said that I want Trion to fail. Quite the opposite. On more than once I can remember saying I hope they do well against the monsters to come. The monsters of next generation MMOs.

Like I said I am just a very realistic person. Money grabs and deceptive practices are something I don't support. If Trion said look we want to open a store and sell a spider then I'd been ok with that. An elaborate marketing ploy to make it look like they aren't headed towards an online store is ridiculous.

Going f2p would be a good move for this game. Not like that is a bad thing. Eventually they'll be faced with that decision and will choose the best for their business.

And I am more than dead serious about an Alsbeth mount.
    Last edited by TheGamerDown; 10-16-2011 at 12:04 PM.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by apathyblade View Post
    So I played rift before for a while then got bored and canceled my sub, and now when i checked to see the 1.5 news I saw that they have a new edition of the game. It includes a mount, some tabards, and a personal bank thing. Well, no one will use the bank/vault thing because people stay will stay in the main cities once they are 50, and that takes about 2 weeks. They will be 5 feet from the bankers. The tabards are a nice idea, but really is nothing original and makes no sense that we should be paying money. I understand supporting game companies is good but I don't feel like spending 10$ for a spider and some colorful clothes. They are just ripping an extra 10 bucks from people every 6 months.
    Gee, I just love the free weekends, don't you?

Never have I EVER said do I want Trion to fail or die. I'm just a very realistic person that's been involved with many MMOs over the years and know how it goes. Rift is a poster child for a game that will eventually go f2p. That's pretty much the extent of what I've said. Might be the best decision they ever made honestly.

Watch my videos, read my prior messages, and point to one time have I ever said that I want Trion to fail. Quite the opposite. On more than once I can remember saying I hope they do well against the monsters to come. The monsters of next generation MMOs.

Like I said I am just a very realistic person. Money grabs and deceptive practices are something I don't support. If Trion said look we want to open a store and sell a spider then I'd been ok with that. An elaborate marketing ploy to make it look like they aren't headed towards an online store is ridiculous.

Going f2p would be a good move for this game. Not like that is a bad thing. Eventually they'll be faced with that decision and will choose the best for their business.

And I am more than dead serious about an Alsbeth mount.
    Have you ever even played a F2P game? I don't have time to waste watching your videos, but it doesn't sound like you have. There is such a huge difference between this and a full cash shop like you're "advocating" that it's not even funny. How can anyone take your video "blogging" seriously with such a ridiculous comparison?

The game doesn't need a cash shop. Purchasing the little content packs through the website is more than easy and convenient. Trion is probably the only developer I've played lately that seems to put visible development time back into their product and doesn't have a glacial development pace.

Like I said there isn't a major title out there that I can think of that doesn't have some sort of micro-transaction. What is the beef here and now?
    Last edited by Torvaldr; 10-16-2011 at 12:26 PM.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over HOW AWESOME MY SPIDER MOUNT IS!

Love when people make a big deal about $10.00 lol. In all honesty if $10.00 is a bank account breaker then you need to reconsider what you do in your spare time. Maybe go mow some lawns or shovel some snow. Mommy wont be able to support your mmo habit all your life.

Shatterbone ~ 60 ROGUE, 50+ MAGE ~ The Abyss

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Shadowlander

Well, I never bought the CE edition and now I have a turtle mount. I'm guessing sometime down the road I will end up with a spider also. Personally I don't care for either one. I mean c'mon.... a turtle? Call me old fashioned, but I like the horses the best. When someone rides up to me on one of those shiny, shiny horses, I am going, "now that looks cool". One day I hope to own one. I was close untill the new crafting recipes came out. Crafting epic's for 6 50's has been real hard on my bank account, hehe.

Never have I EVER said do I want Trion to fail or die. I'm just a very realistic person that's been involved with many MMOs over the years and know how it goes. Rift is a poster child for a game that will eventually go f2p.
    I think basically any game that doesn't absolutely, totally, fail, will eventually go f2p.

I just don't see any basis for thinking rift will do it any time soon. Seriously, if they were gonna test out a cash shop, they'd have charged money for transfers. No one would mind. That they decided not to tells us more than anything else that they are serious about trying to make the sub model work.

As to next-generation MMOs... what would those be? SW:ToR's designers claim it is of the same basic class of MMO as WoW. GW2 is looking to be an experimental game, but it's not sub-based, so it's starting out F2P, and they'll make money either off selling a ton of "expansion packs" that would have been just patches for rift, or through selling in-game advantage in a cash shop. (We already know ncsoft is quite willing to hand out real in-game bonuses for money.)
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Rift Disciple

I am 50 and I use the portable bank regularly because unlike you I don't sit in meridian all day. Why don't you go play the game instead of *****ing about it.

Soulwalker

The truely stupid thing is you still need to buy the mount.

The argument is pointless. The spider mount goes as fast as your fastest mount (if you have none its 60%) Wooo you saved what? 1p 50g or something?

As others have said if you dont want it, dont buy it

Quote Originally Posted by apathyblade View Post
    So I played rift before for a while then got bored and canceled my sub, and now when i checked to see the 1.5 news I saw that they have a new edition of the game. It includes a mount, some tabards, and a personal bank thing. Well, no one will use the bank/vault thing because people stay will stay in the main cities once they are 50,
    <snip>
    I don't feel like spending 10$ for a spider and some colorful clothes. They are just ripping an extra 10 bucks from people every 6 months.
    Hello? I got the CE that came out at the start...10 bucks, included a mount, bigger bag, a pet and some type of leveling/weapon buff. I'm glad they put out a second version with some new stuff to collect.

And kindly speak for yourself, not all of us. Since the new CE came out I see hundreds of those creepy spiders and they're awesome lol. AND, I see bankers dropped dozens of times a day out in the open world and instances. EVERYONE of your faction can run up and use the banker. Not just you.

You don't like it after 7 months? Stop trolling.
    Last edited by Maelystra; 10-16-2011 at 02:54 PM.

Shadowlander

Maybe its a test to move to a Free-to-play model, see how many are willing to pop a few bucks now and again for stuff. Personally I like the banker, heck handy to have when my bags get full and I don't want to run to empty them. The spider is nice, not a necessity but some people like have unique mounts. As to the tabard, I can take it or leave it, costumes are not my thing but heck I paid for it I will wear it if appropriate.

The next challenge for rift will be in december when SW:KOTOR hits the stands.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast