+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: To all the addon naysayers

Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I rarely did guild groups. I grouped with strangers a lot. Gearscore made it easier for me to have fun doing this, because I could rule out jerks before I even tried to join their groups.

Gearscore requirement => sucky group

It was like going to a party where everyone boring was wearing a name tag that said "WARNING: BORING".
    So you judged players who are trying to gear up. Gotcha. What server you on so I can add you to my iggy list if you are on the same as me
    Strive for Peace with acts of war
    The beauty of death we all adore
    I have no faith distracting me
    I know why your prayers will never be answered

Rift Disciple

<runs to riftui and starts downloading stuff at random>
    Simply amazing Seebs lol.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Skidrow Bro View Post
    So you judged players who are trying to gear up. Gotcha. What server you on so I can add you to my iggy list if you are on the same as me
    I'm pretty sure the intention was that groups that required a gearscore before they would let someone join were the sucky groups... not groups that didn't meet a certain gearscore. I liked it in so much as it gave me an easy way to gauge my progress against those on my server that were perceived as being very advanced players. Beyond that I had little use for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Helliert View Post
    I'm pretty sure the intention was that groups that required a gearscore before they would let someone join were the sucky groups... not groups that didn't meet a certain gearscore. I liked it in so much as it gave me an easy way to gauge my progress against those on my server that were perceived as being very advanced players. Beyond that I had little use for it.
    Exactly.

I actually did run gearscore, and I actively sought out people who were gearing up. You know why? Because they weren't impatient jerks who had to run a single instance today for some long-term goal and were in a hurry to get in and out; they were still enjoying heroics, and they weren't yelling at anyone who wanted to kill an optional boss.

I played pretty much exclusively tanks and healers in instances, and I geared up pretty fast. So.

I'd zone in on my DK, wearning my Lovely Purple Dress with a +5 health enchant and a bunch of ilevel 200 gear which was VERY carefully tuned to put me exactly at the def cap. And I'd look at the healer. And if the healer was undergeared, I'd start with a /tell that if they were gearing up, I'd be happy to run instances with them for a couple of hours.

Then I swapped into my real gear and charged in, confident that I could take about 80% of the instance even if the healer was asleep.

Same deal with tanks. When we had a tank ragequit on us, and one of the DKs in the party wanted to try tanking, with her 430 defense and 19k health, I said "go for it", made sure I was actually wearing my healing gear, and brought my A game. Had a great time, helped people gear up.

Usually if I saw a "high" gearscore, I reacted by preemptively being cautious. Heck, if I saw a rogue with a GS of 6k, I didn't even wait, I loaded that rogue up with HoTs before I even heard the Fan of Knives sound, because I knew they would suck like that.

That's the thing. GS is just a tool. Like any tool, it doesn't do anything. It's just a force multiplier for what you are going to do on your own anyway. For me, it allowed me to identify people who could use a hand getting started, and make sure they got a partner who could make a group work even if they were a bit undergeared; it did this because that is what I wanted to do.

Gearscore did not make people into arrogant, impatient, jerks. Arrogant, impatient, jerks were like that since long before Gearscore existed, and nothing in the addon changed them.
    You can play WoW in any MMO. You don't have to play WoW in RIFT. Oh, and no, RIFT is not a WoW clone. Not having fun any more? Learn to play, noob! I don't speak for Riftui, but I moderate stuff there. Just came back? Welcome back! Here's what's changed. (Updated for 2.5!)

Gearscore did not make people into arrogant, impatient, jerks. Arrogant, impatient, jerks were like that since long before Gearscore existed, and nothing in the addon changed them.
    And they used it to belittle and ridicule other players. Ya Seebs, great tool

The thing I'm most concerned about is that I'll no longer be able to purge off a really harmful buff effect (Vampiric Munitions, Fell Blades) without the other person noticing.

-Liang

Quote Originally Posted by Liang Nuren View Post
    The thing I'm most concerned about is that I'll no longer be able to purge off a really harmful buff effect (Vampiric Munitions, Fell Blades) without the other person noticing.

-Liang
    Oh don't worry about that. I'm sure all healers will be pre-marked at the beginning a a WF

Oh don't worry about that. I'm sure all healers will be pre-marked at the beginning a a WF
    Worst addon ever. Paladin went on the shelf about 3 days after I heard about 'Healers Must Die'
    “Courage is not the absence of fear but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear.” - Ambrose Redmoon

Quote Originally Posted by Kalura View Post
    Worst addon ever. Paladin went on the shelf about 3 days after I heard about 'Healers Must Die'
    Well with luck, maybe someone will make a counter addon that tells you that you've been marked. Sounds really productive

Plane Touched

First of all, gearscore is good. It gives you a very easy and measurable way of your gear vs the instance your going into. Again, the addon is a tool, its whose hands it in is the real factor. Theres no where near as many losers like that in Rift as there are in WoW. Most people are still playing Rift because they wanted something different, the community is different.

I didn't mean for this to boil down to a "Addons are good, addons are bad" thread, I think we've ALL seen too many of those already. But in those tons of threads leading up to the release of addons, the main arguments for not having any addons at all, no compromise. Was because it would somehow ruin the game and it would turn into a situation even worse than WoW were addons turned everyone into *******es. That hasn't happened, its not going to happen. Addons don't turn people into *******s, they make *******s able to be noticed easier. Theirs more *******s in WoW, thats all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakiro View Post
    First of all, gearscore is good. It gives you a very easy and measurable way of your gear vs the instance your going into. Again, the addon is a tool, its whose hands it in is the real factor. Theres no where near as many losers like that in Rift as there are in WoW. Most people are still playing Rift because they wanted something different, the community is different.

I didn't mean for this to boil down to a "Addons are good, addons are bad" thread, I think we've ALL seen too many of those already. But in those tons of threads leading up to the release of addons, the main arguments for not having any addons at all, no compromise. Was because it would somehow ruin the game and it would turn into a situation even worse than WoW were addons turned everyone into *******es. That hasn't happened, its not going to happen. Addons don't turn people into *******s, they make *******s able to be noticed easier. Theirs more *******s in WoW, thats all.
    There's or there is. That's all I read

Give it a couple more months it just got released

^
    This.

/8910

Telaran

The addon system is extremely limited right now. I don't believe you can access your equipped items, do anything with your bags, etc. I was looking into making a dual target system, 1 friendly target and 1 enemy target, but there is currently no way to do it.

Probably why a lot of addons haven't been made or why most people still don't really know they are enabled now.
    Last edited by Tikala; 10-12-2011 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Liang Nuren View Post

-Liang
    This is already an add-on. nkRebuff, should check it out.

Doesn't help me a whole lot though - usually if I'm getting my buffs purged off I'm about to get bent over anyways. There has been a total of ~5 time since I installed it where I got out alive and could actually take a second to re-apply my stuff.

Champion

addons bite
    unless thier made by triton themselvs

player made addons cant be trusted and rigged

so less thier made trition aproved by triton her hackonns

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast