+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Am I in the wrong game or does this game get more challenging?

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoheart View Post
    [I]My final opinion is based on a report in Science Magazine (ya it was a behavorial study of gamers, very interesting actually lol). They reported that about atleast 95% of most games player base is casual. edit: Is there no way to edit the thread title? Should be "Am I" not "I am"...

Attribution please. Issue, date would be sufficient.

Science, has a few rules, mostly so you don't go around making stuff up.

Play a mage.

I've heard they can't really be macroed to play.

Also, if you really want a challenge, don't spend any points in your soul trees
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

Plane Walker

Leveling in the game was intentionally designed by Trion to be very quick and easy. That said, there will be alot of things to do at level 50. You will be able to further enhance your character with planar attunement, which is not available until level 50. You will also have new dungeons available, as well as enhancements to the dungeons you have already run (chronicles and t1/t2 dungeons). When you reach level 50, you will receive an in-game mail with instructions that lead you to activities that you can participate in as a level 50.

For a challenge, I recommend that you go back to a lower level zone, and see just how quickly you can get your butt handed to you by trying to kill something that you think you 'should' be able to deal with at your level. I have gone into the newbie areas and gotten my butt handed to me as a level 50 (it was my own fault, but still, a level 10 going against a level 50?!?), so it's not all easy street simply because I'm so high.

I really just suggest that you enjoy yourself along the ride, and head to level 50 at a comfortable pace for you. If you want a challenge, you can always try doing saga quests, they can actually be quite time consuming and challenging at points.

Quote Originally Posted by Machiko_Naguchi View Post
    The game is easy. That is what the "Nintendo Generation" wants in a game model.
    You realize the "Nintendo Generation" is about 30 years old right now right? Seriously, what are you, the Pong Generation? The "Kick The Can" generation? Believe me, it is not the "Nintendo" playing age group that you are even referring to, you are talking about our younger siblings/cousins, the ones that are like 22 and younger. There is quite a difference in disposition.

To answer the OP's question, this is ultimately a raiding game, not a leveling game. The macro's become pretty necessary at higher level as well because if you had to spend much time paying attention to your hotkeys, the vast majority of players would not be able to perform the necessary mechanics in raids. Its not that they are bad, its that HK mechanics are unforgiving, even GSB/RoS can kick your *** if you really phone it in sometimes.

This game is meant to be played at level 50, so they let you get their quickly. The leveling dungeons are nearly impossible to wipe in if you have a tank and healer that are even remotely competent. They are not nearly as easy in the level 50 versions, assuming you have not run said dungeons a hundred times, or significantly out gear them.
    Hastati (50 warrior), Tsar (50 cleric), Tsaritsa (50 Mage)
    Guides: 51 Bladedancer, Bloodstalker, Nightblade
    DPS Rogue <Trinity>
    5/8 ID; HK Conqueror

On a lighter side, my roommate/co-worker was grabbing some work orders at work a couple of minutes ago and i asked, "What are you doing?" he replies, "Grabbing more quests"
    Strive for Peace with acts of war
    The beauty of death we all adore
    I have no faith distracting me
    I know why your prayers will never be answered

It is true that leveling is quite easy, and im fine with it, i hit lvl 50 around 2-3 weeks ago and did most of the expert dungeons, they were also not that hard(if you had a clue on what you're doing)and if you had a competent tank/heal. Now i started raiding and thats where the challenge begins..there is virtualy no room for error, from what i've seen.. your healer tries to heal a dps that got hit? bam! tank dies in half a second..i over dps a bit? bam! i get hit for 43k and wipe half the guys around me..just giving you some examples.

Banned

The game is easy. That is what the "Nintendo Generation" wants in a game model.

ALL games get easier as time goes on. This game was hardest on day 1, and has gotten easier as time goes on.

If only because everyone has access to crafters that can make anything. A person rolling up a character on the day of launch didn't have access to that, or banks full of material or money to gear themselves up.

Today, if a person starts playing Rift, they can join a guild and have their crafters make gear to help a n00b level up. Most every crafter out there has materials and augments just taking up space in their banks they'd be happy to craft into usable gear for nothing.
    This ^ is very true and the other thing is players level so fast they out level the crafters gear of lower level to mid level range. The planarite used to be fast to get and that stuff is 10 levels higher than normal level gear for your level thus something else that kills crafters. About the only thing worth doing in crafting is rune breaking and healing potions. I can't find a GD basic healing potion in the auction house to save my soul let alone to save my poor lvl 11 rogue. lol Then even when you can craft some players don't want to pay anything for it or undercutters arrive and drive the prices down BELOW COST. That's the thing that is really silly that players don't even research the cost of anything, they just throw it in the auction house at a lesser price than YOU. I've watched silken bags (that I can finally make with my alt) go from 80gp to 40gp with all the undercutting players do. lmao It just gets ridiculous sometimes. Bolts of silk are 8gp a pop and it takes 7 of them to make a silken bag....do the math lol 56gp plus the twine which is another 6gp and you have a bag that costs 62gp to make and players are undercutting to 40gp just to sell theirs before someone else. lmfao. Now, of course if you farm the silk there is no real cost of silk other than your time to farm it. Thus the actual cost in some's minds is only 6gp to make a silken bag, but, time is money to me and I would think others so I give myself a wage in the game just like in real life so I can give cost and value to items on a REALISTIC basis. My ingame wage is 50gp an hour. ;) So if it takes me an hour to farm 7 bolts of silk then that's 50gp added to the cost of production. ;)

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Xenoheart View Post
    Hello, I've been here since beta, but wanted to answer your questions from my point of view. I am not from a game that had raiding or so many instances and things like this so keep that in mind.

Cut for brevity...
    Thanks very musch for your detailed reply, based on that and the other posts (well the useful ones ), I'll give it a go to 50 and see how things are then.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Hupailija View Post
    To your other points. Of course leveling is easy, what else could it be? This isn't Lotro or AO where goal was to get to max level and enjoy that trip (not saying that one can't enjoy about it on rift... think that everyone who has played Lotro understands what I mean).
    I agree, I guess I'm just not used to this fast levelling business (and from what I gather LOTRO wasn't particularly slow compared to Eq 1, Korean mmos, etc). Saying that I have spotted a couple of threads asking for a way to slow down / turn off XP gain, because people are out levelling areas to fast...

Quote Originally Posted by Hupailija View Post
    Rift continues to line of games where game mechanism is made as easy as possible for players but where real difficulty comes from powerlevel maximum bosses which blasts party with meteorites if someone happens to sneeze (that probably went bit too far ;).
    I guess I consider awareness / having to use many different skills at the right time "tougher" than robotic consist any (especially when that robotic consistency can be partly automated through macros). Also in game mechanisms are usually simple, they can be learnt, perhaps more importantly the better players can handle them / call the timing etc so others to large extent are simply lead through. Where as a game with complex class mechanisms, varied skills, etc requires individuals to think more for themselves.

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by bigart View Post
    This is like making a decision to buy/not buy a car after test driving it through a parking lot.
    Hence why I asked other people who have driven through more than the parking lot...

Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrath View Post
    You're not really deep enough into the game to claim it's simpler than lotro (which it isn't)
    My only claim is that up to where I am I have found it is easier / simpler than LOTRO in just about every respect (crafting, levelling speed, class mechanisms, instances, soloing, etc), I am quite open to, in fact hopeful of the notion that content gets much tougher given there are lots of things I do like about Rift, hence why I'm asking people who are rather further along than I am

and you're playing a dps role which won't give you the perspective of roles that are actually accountable.
    Given I don't claim to be brillant at these games (simply not terrible) I think it wiser I play DPS or bard to learn the instances. (Although I did heal Iron Tomb a few of times on my Cleric and incidently that is another reason I find Rift easier so far, it seems a lot harder to pull aggro as a healer than in LOTRO and I don't have to (so far) tier up buffs at the same time, albeit only from the perspective of a low level)

Try tanking T1 or T2 content first. I can tell you right now that even the simple mechanics of movement in expert dungeons in this game are more difficult than anything in lotro or EQ2 prior to raiding. They don't have macros but they also have a lot of standing in one spot and playing "cool down whack-a-mole".
    That is the sort of thing I was after.
    Last edited by Flimble; 10-12-2011 at 05:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyle View Post
    You realize the "Nintendo Generation" is about 30 years old right now right? Seriously, what are you, the Pong Generation?
    Yes.

Yeah, I remember when Pong came out ... I was a teen.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Flimble View Post
    My only claim is that up to where I am I have found it is easier / simpler than LOTRO in just about every respect (crafting, levelling speed, class mechanisms, instances, soloing, etc), I am quite open to, in fact hopeful of the notion that content gets much tougher given there are lots of things I do like about Rift, hence why I'm asking people who are rather further along than I am

Given I don't claim to be brillant at these games (simply not terrible) I think it wiser I play DPS or bard to learn the instances. (Although I did heal Iron Tomb a few of times on my Cleric and incidently that is another reason I find Rift easier so far, it seems a lot harder to pull aggro as a healer than in LOTRO and I don't have to (so far) tier up buffs at the same time, albeit only from the perspective of a low level)

That is the sort of thing I was after.
    My apologies. This forum gets bombarded with threads slagging on Rift under the veil of seeking advice. Their initial negativity reads like: "I'm going to quit this game unless everyone convinces me to stay!"

Yes.

Yeah, I remember when Pong came out ... I was a teen.
    I was very young when pong came out but I remember spending hours with those pong flippers. All I could do was make the little line go up and down and I loved it. Now we have so many expectations.
    BLIZZARD: First off, it's important that everyone remembers that feedback needs to remain constructive... using profanity in your posts, no matter how strongly you may feel about something, is not appropriate.
    TRION: If something ****ing pisses someone off to the point of ****ing smashing their ****ing keyboard Hearing it in those words, helps.

Shield of Telara

When the first major patch came out in late March the basically eliminated the need for Crowd Control mechanics, whether is was off tanking mobs, snare kiting, rooting, mezzing - when Trion nerfed those abilities to share rediculous Diminishing return effect for PvP, and nerfed content in PvE to make it not needed for encounters you get this pile of garbage you are being spoon fed now.

AoE smash and heal fest. Hurry up and beat that enrage timer with cookie cutter spec dps, or you will fail!

The Devs hit the nail right on the head when they developed this game and launched it. Too bad they have failed ever since.

The problem solely lies in encounter development, and changes made to cc with first patch in March. People will flame this post and say it was no fun being eternally cc'ed and stunned in WF's. Thats just because too many dps classes had too much cc. Could have been averted in other ways. Trion went the wrong way, to appease the kiddie casual gamer.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast