+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Am I in the wrong game or does this game get more challenging?

Quote Originally Posted by Anuhart View Post
    The only thing that comes close to a challenge in this game is soloing group content. This is mostly due to so-called 'hardcores' complaining about anything that takes work. Luckily they only raid, so it effects that aspect of the game most.

There are some real hardcore players that do enjoy soloing group content every day of the week, without simply doing content designed so forgiving such that 20 people will succeed in synchronisation, so I'm only talking about the lazy players who co-opted that term.
    Adorable as always, Anuhart.

Eternally wrong, but still adorable.

In regards to the OP, if you want a challenge hit 50 and start Raiding. MMO's aren't as "tough," as they used to be since too many people dislike getting their ***** handed to them time and time again lol. There are still things that can be harder/a challenge here in Rift, though it's all geared toward lvl 50 characters...

Play something that isn't FOTM in warfronts. That's a challenge.

Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Flimble View Post
    This game seems really easy, too easy, is there any challenge at end game or would I be better off trying some other game?

I say this for three reasons:

1 - Levelling: Seems awfully quick, I've only been playing two weeks and have a 39 rogue, 26 mage, 26 cleric, 10 warrior. (I assume it would be even quicker if I joint a guild...)

2 - The dungeons, I've run every dungeon that my 39 can do and they all (to varying extents) seem very easy. The only other mmo I've played is LOTRO so I can only compare to that, the first dungeon I did here Iron Tomb seems ridiculously easy compared to the starter one there (GB - I'm thinking the worms bit / thadur are just much harder than anything on any dungeon I've done in Rift so far).

3 - Skills - I played burg / loremaster / warden / cappy in LOTRO there were no macros (aside from people if they wished using a G15/G13, etc), however even if there had been, I had to use a lot of different skills at different times, in a non-predictable manner, so macros would have had less impact. Here I can macro my rogue down to blink, main, finisher, aoe, it seems very, very easy. (or is there a class / build that is more complicated that cannot be macroed, that may appeal to me?)

So does it get challenging or should I be looking elsewhere?

edit: Is there no way to edit the thread title? Should be "Am I" not "I am"...
    Generally speaking, modern MMOs have delivered soloable content to the masses that demanded it, so let's not pretend to be shocked at how numb the leveling process has become. You're not really deep enough into the game to claim it's simpler than lotro (which it isn't) and you're playing a dps role which won't give you the perspective of roles that are actually accountable. Try tanking T1 or T2 content first. I can tell you right now that even the simple mechanics of movement in expert dungeons in this game are more difficult than anything in lotro or EQ2 prior to raiding. They don't have macros but they also have a lot of standing in one spot and playing "cool down whack-a-mole".

Telaran

Your first point is that leveling is fast. Fast is not the same as easy.
    That's not to say that leveling is hard in the game, what it means is that it can be. You can play through to 50 always fighting content at or below your level (chain pulling half a dozen mobs at a time) or you can look for the challenges or create them yourself, if the challenge alone is what you are looking for. Make an effort to be fighting mobs of a higher caliber than the game intends, intentionally use less optimal builds (or intentionally wear gear below your content) as a handicap.

If you feel a game is to hard, it's non-trivial to make it easy. If you feel a game is too easy, it's fairly trivial to make it harder.

Banned

As far as the easy go today myself I decided to try a level 45 mob (I'm level 40 cleric -druid-sentinel-justicar) and I stomped it with ease. OMG was it easy. I expected to get stomped to a pulp. It was in that zone where the titanium is to mine near the town. I want to call it Siverwood? I did several lvl 45 bats, a couple of lvl 45 wolves and one of those 2 headed level 45 ettins.

I've been running some random dungeons as well and those runs have been all too easy as well. I know clerics are pretty powerful but manoman my build is super awesome. I can solo rifts my own level with it. Takes a little time of course but I'm beating them like they were mashed potatoes.

It gets more challenging. Not much of the player base is past the first 5 bosses in the latest dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Daglar View Post
    When time allows I'll be looking at the issue with the class guys.

Guess I am what you all are calling casual.

I loved leveling in this game, I did not find it that fast, but then again I explored everywhere and killed everything picked up everything and leveled my professions as I went.
    If you are a rogue and there a a few builds that really cant be macroed, my solo build is one the finishers are all instant cast with no cooldown and you really need to have them all up as much as possible. There are builds that you cant just macro.
    While I am not a PVP fan (from Chogall Alliance in WOW) I have found the pvp rifts to be fun. I also find it fun to start some pvp during invasions when some defiants flag.
    Unlike some here I took my time to 50 enjoying the view and the exploration.

Now that I am 50 I find the Raid and crafting rifts to be fun, I have done some bosses in most of the raids, but have never actually seen the last boss in most of them. I still live doing the dungeons as I still need a couple of t2 pieces (most are side grades but the bonuses are needed. I think the new chronicles are great, I have gotten to solo the HK one , and working on figuring out a way to solo the GS one (so far no success but getting closer).

There is always something to do as I hunt artifacts and rares(although rares are getting a bit frustrating as the spawn rates are low and too many people hunting them).

There are a lot of things to do at max level and while I started out leveling 4 characters, my others have stalled oout in the 30s as I still have too many things I want to do with my 50.

Default Challenging

You shouldn't be looking elsewhere. It's a gorgeous game, simply not as challenging as LoTRO.
    No matter how dark the night, morning always comes. And our journey begins anew...

Rift Master

Im gonna go with this game is ez mode. The only challenging thing is coordinating 10/20 people. Which is challenging in any situation. We completely learned gsb in 4 days prior to strats, ros the same, for an end game boss at the time, alsbeth was a joke. Learned and killed that fight in 5 pulls.

We had a ton of experienced wow raiders and our raid leader was from one of the top 3 raiding guilds in wow. That said, if you arent familiar with raiding you will most likely find it challenging. I like hanging out and doin stuff with my guild, its why im staying, its just a lot of fun...

Quote Originally Posted by Flimble View Post
    This game seems really easy, too easy, is there any challenge at end game or would I be better off trying some other game?

I say this for three reasons:

1 - Levelling: Seems awfully quick, I've only been playing two weeks and have a 39 rogue, 26 mage, 26 cleric, 10 warrior. (I assume it would be even quicker if I joint a guild...)

2 - The dungeons, I've run every dungeon that my 39 can do and they all (to varying extents) seem very easy. The only other mmo I've played is LOTRO so I can only compare to that, the first dungeon I did here Iron Tomb seems ridiculously easy compared to the starter one there (GB - I'm thinking the worms bit / thadur are just much harder than anything on any dungeon I've done in Rift so far).

3 - Skills - I played burg / loremaster / warden / cappy in LOTRO there were no macros (aside from people if they wished using a G15/G13, etc), however even if there had been, I had to use a lot of different skills at different times, in a non-predictable manner, so macros would have had less impact. Here I can macro my rogue down to blink, main, finisher, aoe, it seems very, very easy. (or is there a class / build that is more complicated that cannot be macroed, that may appeal to me?)

So does it get challenging or should I be looking elsewhere?

edit: Is there no way to edit the thread title? Should be "Am I" not "I am"...
    Not really. Try grinding some factions.

Quote Originally Posted by Zyzyx View Post
    It gets more challenging. Not much of the player base is past the first 5 bosses in the latest dungeon.
    One dungeon that adds a little difficulty and one raid that people are still having a tough time with does not constitute as challenging.
    Strive for Peace with acts of war
    The beauty of death we all adore
    I have no faith distracting me
    I know why your prayers will never be answered

The game is easy. That is what the "Nintendo Generation" wants in a game model.

ALL games get easier as time goes on. This game was hardest on day 1, and has gotten easier as time goes on.

If only because everyone has access to crafters that can make anything. A person rolling up a character on the day of launch didn't have access to that, or banks full of material or money to gear themselves up.

Today, if a person starts playing Rift, they can join a guild and have their crafters make gear to help a n00b level up. Most every crafter out there has materials and augments just taking up space in their banks they'd be happy to craft into usable gear for nothing.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

Quote Originally Posted by Machiko_Naguchi View Post
    The game is easy. That is what the "Nintendo Generation" wants in a game model.
    Did you ever play Nintendo? Those games offered way more challenge and replay-ability then anything created today.
    Strive for Peace with acts of war
    The beauty of death we all adore
    I have no faith distracting me
    I know why your prayers will never be answered

Rift Disciple

Leveling in lotro was not hard it was annoying, the mob desity i so low you could cassually stoll to mordor with your lowbe hobbit.

I have not played it since the evidim re build but you would do 3 quest run out of quest have to skirmish for a few levels to a couple more qests, rinse and repeat. then there was the grinding to open up traits, kill 200 this or that 2 or three of thoses every zone.

annoying <> hard

Leveling is the time sink used the company to waste your time before you get to the real game. And make the 50$ seem worth it. It's not a place to train you up in the ways of your caling. My proof, leveling specs, my cleric did not heal the quest mobs to death.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast