+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Solo gameplay - one possible solution

Telaran

Default Solo gameplay - one possible solution

Just some thoughts:
    For many years as raider (in THAT other game) I did not really understand why would solo players complain about unable to get better gear, since as repeated by many people "they don't need it".

They do. Getting better gear is part of the getting better process, a satisfaction of an inner need, the answer for the question: what do I get for my "work".

However I do understand why raiders do not want solo players to be able to get even nearly equivalent gear as they have, as it would diminish the value of their effort.

I do understand that raiding is generally considered much more time-sensitive and hard thing to do

Since I left that game I avoid starting raiding again, and I prefer small/solo play, mostly because I don't have time for that anymore.

The answer for the often mentioned "but it is an MMORPG, why do you want to play alone" is
    Yes, but it's also an RPG, and your character have no idea about what DPS is, and I have never seen one successful roleplaying raiding group EVER. I don't bash you for not RPGing, you shouldn't bash me for not MM-ing.

Proposed solution:
    As PvP and PvE gear is separated by attributes that are only useable in certain situation, the same thing could be done for solo and raid content.

Let's say there is an attribute called HEROISM, which (in a calling-appropriate way) can increase
    - self-healing
    - damage done
    - damage resistance (physical/magical)
    - maximum health
    - maximum mana
    ... but only in situations/places that are considered to SOLO content.

Which could include:
    - inside solo content instance
    - open world and not being in raid group (or possibly in group at all) even during PvP
    - depending on whether small group content (up to 5 man) is judged to be for solo players, it could include instances

This would result raid gear would stay as best pve gear for ALL situations, but solo players could aquire gear that is better than current aquirable, but only in limited situations.

Rift Master

Default Solo gameplay - the only solution

Solo gameplay - the only solution:

Devs stop worrying about it, focus on group content, which is what MMORPGs are about, and let people who want to solo go play single player games, where they belong.

And no, solo players do not need radical gear. Solo is already ezmode by its very nature and getting epic gear to mow down ezmode even faster is even more ludicrous than catering to soloists in a mulitplayer game to begin with.

There's all kinds of satisfaction to be found for soloists in single player games, but there are only so many MMORPGs worth playing for the multiplayer cooperative group content aspect, and the number of high quality MMORPGs could be listed in single digits vs the multitudes of quality SP games over the years.

Stop catering to soloists in these rare and special multiplayer games (MMORPGs) and let them stick to the single player games they SHOULD be playing.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Voqar View Post

Devs stop worrying about it, focus on group content, which is what MMORPGs are about, and let people who want to solo go play single player games, where they belong.

And no, solo players do not need radical gear. Solo is already ezmode by its very nature and getting epic gear to mow down ezmode even faster is even more ludicrous than catering to soloists in a mulitplayer game to begin with.

There's all kinds of satisfaction to be found for soloists in single player games, but there are only so many MMORPGs worth playing for the multiplayer cooperative group content aspect, and the number of high quality MMORPGs could be listed in single digits vs the multitudes of quality SP games over the years.

Stop catering to soloists in these rare and special multiplayer games (MMORPGs) and let them stick to the single player games they SHOULD be playing.
    Pretty sure Mortal Online and Darkfall followed your formula. See where that got them? They need to focus on whatever the customer is asking for. Fail to do that and you fail. Period.

Dynamic scaling content is where it's at tbh - that is the future.

Totally agree. The MMO now totally sucks. I like to solo but dungeons. NO They may as well just sell this as a single players RPG and get it over with.

I was thinking about trying out other Trion games but lost all faith in them.
    System:
    Win7 64bit - I7 930 3.38GHz Liquid Cooled - 6 GB DDR3 - Ati 5970 Driver 11.8 CCC 2 - HDD Raid 0 1 TB -2nd HDD 1TB SATA - Blu-Ray - Display 32" Samsung HDTV 1920x1080

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Nestran View Post
    Pretty sure Mortal Online and Darkfall followed your formula. See where that got them? They need to focus on whatever the customer is asking for. Fail to do that and you fail. Period.
    There's a very thick line between customer and consumer. Consumers demand change and will cause games to "fail". Gamers give feedback on changes implemented by developers and hope it will be fixed. Consumers expect things to be fixed. They are both customers.

Reality is, games are currently being attuned to the post-2000 generation that found out about technology 20 years too late and are a sub-category of the consumer category. Games are not being altered in favor of proper gameplay mechanics, but to satisfy the consumer, to which no doubt 80% of this board belong.

Failing as a company, today, is measured by the expectancy level of the consumer. Gaming is dead, long live gaming.
    Last edited by Oyxl; 09-30-2011 at 02:14 AM.
    Every MMO has a bunch of 'Cry Hards' that complain when their toon has the slightest redistribution of power
    Read to remember, Quoted for truth.
    I have been in 5 T1/T2 runs via LFD and to be honest nobody in game was happy about the changes. Like really, nobody I talked in the game in chat, 50 chat, guild, Sanctum chat, party chat was happy. Seems like only people happy about the changes are just forum warriors and trolls.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Asheena View Post
    Just some thoughts:
    For many years as raider (in THAT other game) I did not really understand why would solo players complain about unable to get better gear, since as repeated by many people "they don't need it".
    simple solution to solo gameplay: go play a solo game.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Props for trying to come up with a solution, but I don't know if that's really an answer that will pacify people who are already angry about Rift having any solo content whatsoever. I do think the new AA/planar attunement goes a long way, though, towards giving solo players something to work toward and gain for the betterment of their characters. I think that's the better direction than further dividing the playerbase on "I don't like how you play this game/my gear must be BiS at all times" issues.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Nestran View Post
    so if billion of flies like to eat s*it, its has to be good for you?
    firm should follow consumer requests only when they are actually -good- requests for the game, most consumers dont have the knowledge to make informed requests and just want to follow the path of minor resistance.
    Once known as Nix-Zero

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person.
    Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruizo View Post
    simple solution to solo gameplay: go play a solo game.

Simple solution to group gameplay: go play TF2.

Telaran

Regardless of anyone's opinion on this matter, here is the net result:

It's about the money, not the MM or the RPG.

If the Devs focus only on Group / Raider content and rewards then players who, for whatever reason, solo the majority of the time will drop their subs because they won't have a reason to log in. Raiders can say "Good, we don't need you" but the Devs do need us. The percentage of players that actually get to see all of the end game content is very, very small. If you don't give everyone else a good reason to stay and something new to conquer, they will leave and take their $10 or $15 a month with them. Then you can be "elite raiders in your awesome shiny gear" on a practically empty shard and you'll probably have BiS on every slot just about the time they close the servers down for lack of subs.

Ultimately, it's always about the money. The soloists will will the battle in the long run or the Devs will lose the subscriptions. Chronicals are just the first step showing the Devs already understand this. In the end, the Devs would rather lose the small percentage of raiding purists who get to see all of the end game content than the vast majority of players who don't but still need something else to do with their time.

It's about the money, not the MM or the RPG. That's the reality. End of story.
    Last edited by Hellshade68; 09-30-2011 at 02:30 AM.

Telaran

Hate to say that, but you are completely wrong.

One of the first MMORPGs, UO did not have group or raid content AT ALL.

I believe that this is the point of MMORPGs - for you.

Others might have other needs and priorities, failing to understand that, you only reveal yourself as a selfish person.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Asheena View Post
    Hate to say that, but you are completely wrong.

One of the first MMORPGs, UO did not have group or raid content AT ALL.

But, I recall needing to team up on more than one occasion to clear open world dungeons and the likes?
    Every MMO has a bunch of 'Cry Hards' that complain when their toon has the slightest redistribution of power
    Read to remember, Quoted for truth.
    I have been in 5 T1/T2 runs via LFD and to be honest nobody in game was happy about the changes. Like really, nobody I talked in the game in chat, 50 chat, guild, Sanctum chat, party chat was happy. Seems like only people happy about the changes are just forum warriors and trolls.

Ascendant

Why do you fear solo players ? Why do you suggest that a solo player should go elsewhere ?

Just cus there is a label on a product that says it is suitable for one thing doesn't mean it primarily is only usable for that thing. Being labelled MMO means simply that those that want to play with other players can do so if they wish. The game is not uniquely designed for multiplay. Why do you think like that ? RPG which is the other part of the game structure is never going to factor in five man random dungeons is it. And RPG is never going to factor heavily in a raid only guild. RPG is something quite unique to MMOs where you are able to develop a unique character, and really I guess gear chasing LFG type players will never understand that. And the test of that generally is when they suggest RPG players or hardcore solo players go play something else... Never mind. It stems from a fear that solo players may somehow achieve the same by doing stuff on their own.

Anyway I am hardcore solo. Always will be but then I have many characters and they are all different and when I play my game ... I play MY game. And I really don't have any use for purple stuff so really I don't actually have a view on this. I just like enjoying myself and that means not standing around waiting. I guess purples really should be given to the type of player who wants to stand around waiting for a group. Seems only fair.

As an aside what would also be fair is if the players that are so dead keen on solo players being llimited to specific content declare their MMO status for a char and prevent them from entering solo dungeons.

The truth is that the more players find intersting and meaningful stuff to do solo the less likely they are to queue for a dungeon and that makes life tricky for those that just like to log and go after gear. The thing is a true MMO doesn't have easy options like LFG. They are structured around guilds and working with players together in the real world of Rift. Not stuck in a city waiting for a random pop. So who is more true to the MMO, the solo hardcore RPG player or the gear hungry LFG player. It was all those that called for LFG that destroyed the game... and it was that day that I decided never to group again.

I am hardcore solo and I get by. And for that I ask for nothing.... Just the game. Right now I could be playing a solo dungeon with one of my many 50s, but instead I am in Scarlet Gorge with my Level 30 Cleric.

So why does that worry you ? I have no impact on your game what so ever.... Save you can't piggy back off my Mage, Warrior, Cleric, Rogue in a dungeon... cus as I said I don't do them.

Telaran

Quote Originally Posted by Ajhal View Post
    ...but instead I am in Scarlet Gorge with my Level 30 Cleric...
    Lol, my 4th toon (Cleric) recently reached 38. (have 3 lv50s already)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast