+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: To everyone asking for more dungeons in RIFT...

Default To everyone asking for more dungeons in RIFT...

..you do realize you are playing a game called "RIFT", right?

Why are you continually asking for more dungeons from Trion when you should be asking for more things to do with rifts (and invasions)?

Do you really think the best gear and items in this game should continue to come from raids and PvP rather than rifts? Should that not be the more preferred way of this game to progress?

Right now, the order of import in RIFT content-wise is:

1. Dungeons/raiding
    2. PvP warfronts
    3. Rifts/invasions

Does this order sit right with you? Do you think Trion has run out of ideas for rifts after just six-months time?
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 09-18-2011 at 07:33 AM.

Banned

I agree with you 110%..

I bought Rift because of the hype that it was a MMO about open world dynamic content in the form of rifts.. If I wanted to grind dungeon/raids I wouldn't of left WoW 2 years ago.. oh well.. Here's to hoping that someone soon will bring us something news..

Quote Originally Posted by Rydeson View Post
    I agree with you 110%..

I bought Rift because of the hype that it was a MMO about open world dynamic content in the form of rifts.. If I wanted to grind dungeon/raids I wouldn't of left WoW 2 years ago.. oh well.. Here's to hoping that someone soon will bring us something news..
    True story. Back when the game launched and I was running around silverwood with like 200 other players and zone invasions were popping every 30 seconds, and there was non-stop dynamic open world content and multiple raid groups defending the zone, I couldn't say enough for this game. To me, this game delivered everything that was promised. Now, when you're running around silverwood and there's at most 3 other players in the whole zone, events are popping every hour, and usually fail, you're hard pressed to find a group, let alone a raid, that isn't level 50's farming achievments for no apparent reason, the game has lost it's magic.
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    True story. Back when the game launched and I was running around silverwood with like 200 other players and zone invasions were popping every 30 seconds, and there was non-stop dynamic open world content and multiple raid groups defending the zone, I couldn't say enough for this game. To me, this game delivered everything that was promised. Now, when you're running around silverwood and there's at most 3 other players in the whole zone, events are popping every hour, and usually fail, you're hard pressed to find a group, let alone a raid, that isn't level 50's farming achievments for no apparent reason, the game has lost it's magic.
    That's the problem the dev's have no idea what to do with them to get people to participate. I really don't think they planned it out further than a quick cash grab to keep them going, Until their other MMO gets finished.

It doesn't look like it will have staying power either......

All they have to do is make Rifts worth doing. They aren't worth doing at all now. Who really gives a rats arse if Zareph's Return is about to fall?

Make plaques drop off Rifts at a small rate, add some cool mounts at an extremely rare rate but BOE so farmers have reason to do them too, and BAM you have people motivated to Rift their balls off.

Yes it does seem like they are out of ideas the way they are re hashing content without adding 1 new model. Even the solo dungeons are just a re hash of GSB/HK. No new areas or models... Just more of the same.

I think people are looking for something really new and exciting. Old re-hashed content will never be new and exciting... We want new models and experiences. Not a trip to the same dungeon we've done a hundred times harder or not. There has been no new content for anyone except raiders since the game released. By new I mean an actual new area/zone. Sadly even the new raid content were re-hashed models from the starting zone.

Where is any new content? Not talking about re-hashed models and zones but REAL content... Ember Isles you say? Will there be even 1 new model there? Doubt it. Even that is months and months away- it'll come out and just be a re-hash of other zones with the same models. Who wouldn't be disappointed by that?

Banned

Sin...... BINGO.. I remember those days, it was that type of game play that got me talking and enjoying it.. Something, somewhere changed Rift for me and others, and it's not in the lost in found.. I would love to see Invasions last longer, more steps, more challenge.. OH.. and change the coding to allow "higher" level toons to join in at lower level events.. Sorta like mentoring..

In can be fired, I know it can.. But do the people with the power to do so, want to???

Banned

I posted this idea in another thread, but I think it deserves mentioning here as well..

Currently Rift Invasions are basically a 3 step process ending with a Boss fight.. During peak hours these are normally won with little or no rewards.. In some cases, most ignore them because of that, along with the problem that with wearing T2 or raid gear, the Invasions offer no true challenge..

Imagine Invasion being beefed up.. No longer are they are 3 step event with a single boss.. but turn into a 6 step event.. each step only being unlockable once you defeat the previous step.. Imagine "raid" rifts as we know them today being step 5 or step 6 in an Invasion.. MULTIPLE raid rifts being opened that must be closed, to unleash a rift boss that even HK has never imagined..

It's not that hard to beef up the rifts and invasions.. Make it so that when people say, "hey, lets go dungeon crawling".. Some should respond with "oh heck NO, I'm too busy getting my butt whipped in Stillmoor invasions"..

Beef up the Rifts too.. Offer the players randomly spawned "raid" rifts of different types and degrees..

Excellent posts here.

There is a saying about murder that goes "The first time is hard. Each time after that is easier and easier until you don't even think about it." I think this is the mindset Trion fell into with dungeons.

At beta and launch this game was popping with action from rifts. When people heard that "horn", they stopped whatever they were doing atm, hit "M", and ran to find out how to stop invaders. People formed groups on the fly and stayed in those groups until everything was done. Then they went back to their solo/duo/whatever activities.

Once people hit 20ish, all they kept talking about is "Hey Trion, where's the first dungeon?" From that point forward, Trion's main focus has been putting people in them and they no longer do rifts.

Trion's thought process has been:

"Okay, here's your dungeon. Enjoy! Huh? Another? Sure. Here's a 'expert' mode of that same dungeon. What? More? Okay, here's master mode." They fell into the trap of ease and it gets easier and easier to keep pushing out dungeons and harder and harder to concentrate on rifts and invasions.
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 09-18-2011 at 08:30 AM.

Some of us voiced concerns about this happening back in beta. It didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that as the herd moved on to higher level areas, the rift content in lower level areas would become pointless. We also suspected that as people who were 50 had better gear from dungeons and raids, the higher level rift content would become irrelevant as well.

It's nice to see that in 1.5 they play on changing the level 50 currency and gear up a bit to make it more appealing but that is just scratching the surface of the problem. The bigger problem is all of the rift content that comes before 50. Nothing bothers me more than hearing people say, "Who cares about lower level rift content? You're going to level out of it anyways and the currency drop rate is fine at 50." Well, who cares if it's fine at 50? People are going to essentially level out of that gear too once they get better stuff from another source. The reason people should care a lot about lower level rift content is because that is going to be the selling point for new players. It's also nice for people leveling up an alt.

Here are some key things that I feel screwed over the rift content:

1. The nerf to experience gained from closing minor rifts. This used to be a viable alternative to questing. It's really not anymore.

2. The removal of ancient wardstones and the quests that gave a blue stone. I'll go a step further and say that they made a mistake when they didn't add something like that to EVERY zone. Sure, the ancient wardstones as a PvP starter failed. However, they added a way for people to get some blue stones even when zones were dead and no events were happening. It wasn't a big deal when events happened all the time (and succeeded) but that's not something you can count on while leveling up anymore.

3. The biggest issue of all.... the nerf to planarite gained from closing rifts, taking out footholds, and killing invaders. It now takes so long to grind up the planarite you need to purchase things that most people don't bother. Silverwood and Freemarch are prime examples of this problem. Even if you have the blue or purple stones to purchase something, the regular planarite needed can be a beast to acquire. 200 planarite for a pair of pants might not seem like a lot to someone who's 50 and can make that much from closing one rift but it's a TON of planarite to a lowbie. Closing a rift in those zones will get you 6 planarite. A foothold or an invasion force will get you 2 planarite. The planarite drop rate needs to be increased or the cost of the items needs to be lowered in all of the zones, not just those two. This is a problem across the board.

I've heard the argument about how they never intended for people to have all of the items off the vendor before leaving the area, even if all you do is rift content. I think that's a pretty weak argument, especially since it's entirely possible to do that at 50 since you have all the time you need. What's the harm in allowing someone leveling up to have all of the stuff if they've put the work in by closing every rift they come across, participating in every zone event, taking out every foothold, and killing every invading force? If someone actually does that, they SHOULD be rewarded and walk out of there with the whole bag of prizes. For those who started playing after release, you don't know what you're missing. For those of us who have been playing since beta, we know that what I just described used to be reality. If you want to encourage people to actively participate in rift content instead of just walking past it going, "meh..." this is how you do it!

What I loved about this game when I started playing it in beta was the fact that you really did have choices on how you leveled and got gear. Every character that I took through Silverwood or Freemarch back then left the zone with all of the gear from the planar vendor and the ascended powers. Why was that a bad thing? It encouraged people to actively participate in that content. Now people walk right past it and many see zone events as an annoyance, not an opportunity. That's completely messed up and the problem is in rewards for your time investment.
    Shiadra, Shiasha, Facemoth, and Fimhira
    <Wandering Idiot>
    Dimensions on Deepwood: Bandit Hideout and Silverwood Playground

Plane Touched

I don't think the rifts are in your face enough. I remember when I saw a gameplay demo of the rifts. I thought they would swarm an entire zone, choking the life out of every corner until the zone resembeled the conquering plane. And that's how it was...In the first month or so.

Rifts shouldn't get easier as time goes on, only to evantually dissapear. No. Players should have to kill them in order to get rid of them. I don't really know how to get people to participate in lower level rifts though. That seems to be a seperate problem.

The only thing that would motivate me to actually do invasions and rifts is if the content was actually challenging.

I mean I want to see bosses with actual mechanics come out of invasions. I mean lets see a boss that wipes the ENTIRE zone out until a good guild comes and kills him.

FFXI had some of the most epic open world endgame world bosses of all time. Lets see something on the lines of that. Lets see an actual Lord Greenscale spawn in the open world with all the same mechanics. Lets see a Herald dragon spawn with all the same mechanics and same difficulty.

Just make them drop raid marks and people will jump at the chance to kill them in front of the entire server.

As it stands right now...Invasions are so pathetically weak that You literally just tank and spank the "invasion bosses". I mean...Really? Shouldnt those be some of the hardest bosses in the game? Why arent they? Because it's open world and too many people will QQ about how hard they are? See this is why the mmo genre is complete garbage when compared to older mmo's. Everquest developers wouldnt have given a s h i t if it was "too hard" for half the subscribers. FFXI developers would have insisted that it's NOT HARD ENOUGH if people are beating it.

My enjoyment from mmo's originated from the butt puckering boss fights where you grind your teeth from the first minute you engage to the moment the boss drops to the ground. Some of these kinds of boss fights are present in raids. But I'd prefer them to be in the open world. FFXI had open world bosses that kick the CRAP out of Rift raid bosses. I mean Tiamat? Nidhogg? Absolute Virtue? Vrtra? Jormunand? King Behemoth?
    Last edited by Sozu; 09-18-2011 at 09:53 AM.

Shatterbone ~ 60 ROGUE, 50+ MAGE ~ The Abyss

YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Herbal Fairy, seriously amazing points. I think you hit the nail on the head. There needs to be more incentive for lower levels to participate in rifts/invasions. I have been leveling up a few alts lately and did notice something missing. 200 planarite for one item in the lowbie area is too much when defeating a foothold only nets you 2.

Bring back rifting as a means to level!

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    God I remember this. It was amazing. Started this game in Beta 5, got to freemarch and whabam, I raided for nearly 9 hours straight. It was incredible. Now at 50, I see the invasions as a nuisance more then anything because nobody does them and so they just sit there, trolling you by making stillmoor dark as hell. Make rifts give something worth having again. Planar mounts could be cool, more things to buy with planarite would be cool.

I remember doing a DRR during a zone invasion in SM. The rift spewed mobs every like 5 seconds. Maybe when i cap on planarite ill go do that... might make zone events more grand scale... maybe...

Maybe make it so zone events spawn the raid rifts and you have to do them to do the raid rift itself. And make the raid rifts hard. Current ones take 0 effort and even less skill.
    Last edited by Vyxagallanxchi; 09-18-2011 at 09:47 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    Think of a 30 meter circle around all ranged dps rogues and mages. Ranged dps can stand in the back line and focus fire targets without worrying about mobility and most forms of cc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    Sounds like an excellent plan for your healers to follow as well, as they have an even longer range on their heals.

Quote Originally Posted by Sozu View Post
    The only thing that would motivate me to actually do invasions and rifts is if the content was actually challenging.

I mean I want to see bosses with actual mechanics come out of invasions. I mean lets see a boss that wipes the ENTIRE zone out until a good guild comes and kills him.

FFXI had some of the most epic open world endgame world bosses of all time. Lets see something on the lines of that. Lets see an actual Lord Greenscale spawn in the open world with all the same mechanics. Lets see a Herald dragon spawn with all the same mechanics and same difficulty.

Just make them drop raid marks and people will jump at the chance to kill them in front of the entire server.

As it stands right now...Invasions are so pathetically weak that You literally just tank and spank the "invasion bosses". I mean...Really? Shouldnt those be some of the hardest bosses in the game? Why arent they? Because it's open world and too many people will QQ about how hard they are? See this is why the mmo genre is complete garbage when compared to older mmo's. Everquest developers wouldnt have given a s h i t if it was "too hard" for half the subscribers. FFXI developers would have insisted that it's NOT HARD ENOUGH if people are beating it.
    I would be in favor of this idea for the level 50 rift content. I'm not a dungeon raider but I would jump at the chance to hop into a zone event raid where I felt like my actions meant something. I enjoy having the rift content pose a challenge. The most fun I ever had in a zone event was during the head start. Picture this... a major zone event in Silverwood, invading forces and the rifts they're spawning from are level 18, 90% of the people in the zone are level 12 or lower. We all died A LOT! There was a rift in the middle of Argent Glade! There was one in the middle of Sanctum too! (Why did that change? Too many people upset that there was no where safe to go afk for long periods of time? The rifts should be a constant threat!) Everyone in the zone had to band together, there was no other option. We actually defeated that event and let me tell you, it was the best victory ever! The crowd literally went wild when we downed that boss. When the victory actually feels like an accomplishment, people are much more into it.
    Last edited by Herbal_Fairy; 09-18-2011 at 09:59 AM.
    Shiadra, Shiasha, Facemoth, and Fimhira
    <Wandering Idiot>
    Dimensions on Deepwood: Bandit Hideout and Silverwood Playground

It is indeed a very different game from what it was in beta and early start.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast