Closed Thread
Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 405 of 526
Like Tree204Likes

Thread: I don't want to team with /ignored players!

  1. #391
    Prophet of Telara Erszebet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reiz View Post
    If you say so. Most people don't really care what language others choose to use, especially in mmos.
    Then why are most guild chat channels I've ever seen relatively clean? I like how you just know what "most people" want even though you don't know them at all. Its more like people don't care enough to let it hinder their game just like if you were waiting in line for food somewhere and the guy behind you was running his mouth and being obnoxious, you would still likely hold out and get your food. Its sooo simple.
    Everyone wants an

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfetx View Post
    I also have no issue with every one getting a trophy. I think its a wonderful concept even in the real life version.

  2. #392
    Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erszebet View Post
    Then why are most guild chat channels I've ever seen relatively clean? I like how you just know what "most people" want even though you don't know them at all. Its more like people don't care enough to let it hinder their game just like if you were waiting in line for food somewhere and the guy behind you was running his mouth and being obnoxious, you would still likely hold out and get your food. Its sooo simple.
    And? Either way, people shouldn't expect others to fix their problems for them. The tools are in place so people don't have to group with others they deem unworthy. Expecting Trion to go out of their way to fix a problem that only a very very small minority of the game population actually think is a problem is just silly. Which is what the OP of this thread wants.

  3. #393
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skidrow Bro View Post
    Actually people, including myself, have been suspended for swearing.
    SOLELY for posting words that are ****'d out by the filter? Or for harassment that includes swearing? The two are not the same.

  4. #394
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,584

    Default

    [QUOTE=Mongus;3136116]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancem View Post
    Crying about it /QUOTE]

    I stopped valuing your opinion right there. Noone was crying but you like many people seem to think its a valid tactic to call anyone with a differing opinion a whiner or accuse them of crying. Grow up.
    I apologize for a poor choice of words, "complaining" would be better, I usually say *****ing but that will just be **'d out.

    Regardless, value my opinion or not, it doesn't matter at all to me.

  5. #395
    Ascendant Skidrow Bro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,980

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ancem View Post
    SOLELY for posting words that are ****'d out by the filter? Or for harassment that includes swearing? The two are not the same.
    if enough people report bad language it is grounds for a suspension as is calling someone a pompous ***
    Strive for Peace with acts of war
    The beauty of death we all adore
    I have no faith distracting me
    I know why your prayers will never be answered

  6. #396
    Rift Master Haceldama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    641

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skidrow Bro View Post
    if enough people report bad language it is grounds for a suspension as is calling someone a pompous ***
    I cannot confirm or deny your fact. That being said, I have never heard of anyone being suspended for foul language.

    What I would like to see, however, is suspensions of pompous ***es assuming enough report them.

    Dreams from the Dark Side!!!

    Haceldama

  7. #397
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Belpheghor View Post
    That's interesting, I'd heard another meaning behind the word, For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge, interesting word. I think I'll look into it a bit more now. Good perspective on this matter.
    Wasn't that a Van Halen album or something?

  8. #398
    Ascendant Archemys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,501

    Default

    Probalby already been covered in the first 41 pages...

    If you have so many people on your ignore list that you find yourself together in LFG, you have issues. What are you doing in game that you go around ignoring random people?

  9. #399
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erszebet View Post
    Because I don't have to rely on "naughty words" as a crutch to articulate what I mean to say. Its not just me, all people who don't forcefully inflict their unecissary offensive language on others or embarass themselves in public are better.
    Your comments about trailer parks and such are far more disrespectful than dropping an F-Bomb and you did it without using any swear words. Congratulations, you are far more of an *** than the people you look down on.
    Last edited by Ancem; 09-15-2011 at 10:40 AM.

  10. #400
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,584

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skidrow Bro View Post
    if enough people report bad language it is grounds for a suspension as is calling someone a pompous ***
    I would dispute the number that qualifies as "enough" but whatever...

  11. #401
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    136

    Default

    It's a proven fact that people that use foul language as a "means to communicate"; or abuse others and seeing it as their "right" to be an anti-social moron in a social game, are one if not all of the following.

    1.) Uneducated. Well, can't hold that against some people. Some just are not bright enough to even be more than a simple soldier, construction worker, or general labor employee. However, that gives the less bright no right to abuse or force their gutter slang onto others.

    2.) Abusers. This is the most likely case. They abuse their kids and spouses, so like cowards abuse others that they know can't defend themselves. They were abused; either in game or in real life, so they have the attitude that "I went through it, and so must you." This attitude is what keeps the prisons full.

    3.) Shockers. These are the folks that say stuff for shock value, and no other reason. They have no friends in RL, and so they must get attention where ever they can. This is the loser that knows that bad attention is better than no attention.

    4.) Some folks just don't give a crap. These are the most dangerous, and most likely to end up shooting their classmates or co-workers.

    I was in a BG this morning. I reported the guy for what they said. We were in there, and people were talking about.... well, female parts, and leave it at that. One person said

    "You guys are -insert lowbrow communications here- perverts."

    i said
    "I don't -repeated communication here- perverts."

    then came the
    "That's why you have no girl friends." coming from the lonely I am sure.

    I said
    "I've 5 kids and a wife of 20 years."

    Then came something that proved the kid just did not "get" the whole conversation.

    "Your wife must be a fat -insert foulest of words here- if you talk like that."

    /reported

    All I did was say that I do NOT have sexual relations with perverts, so the guy has to insult my wife???

    Anyhoo. OP is 100% correct. if you are /ignored then I don't want you in my party. Ever.
    When people say you suck. Just remember, they just have a better macro than you do, NOT that they play better. Ask them to share.

  12. #402
    Rift Chaser Excelsia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kansor View Post
    The word people use to explain sex comes from the old ages when you needed permission to make children in a kingdom. You hung a sign that said "Fornication Under Consent of the King". Every "cuss word has a legitimate meaning and use.
    This isn't quite the etymology of the saying.

    "Fornication Under the Consent of the King" was something that was bestowed upon nobles, to take their pick of the females under their jurisdiction whenever they wanted to .... (don't get me started on men and their bloated ideas of their own self-importance -- haha)

    If you saw Braveheart and remember when the lord in charge of Wallace's county claimed the rights to sleep with the bride of his friend on their wedding night... that was an example of the "Fornication Under the Consent of the King" order.... and it is why the word that came from it has such a distaste in many people's minds.
    Last edited by Excelsia; 09-15-2011 at 11:05 AM.

  13. #403
    Champion
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    539

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormon View Post
    It's a proven fact that people that use foul language as a "means to communicate"; or abuse others and seeing it as their "right" to be an anti-social moron in a social game, are one if not all of the following.

    1.) Uneducated. Well, can't hold that against some people. Some just are not bright enough to even be more than a simple soldier, construction worker, or general labor employee. However, that gives the less bright no right to abuse or force their gutter slang onto others.

    2.) Abusers. This is the most likely case. They abuse their kids and spouses, so like cowards abuse others that they know can't defend themselves. They were abused; either in game or in real life, so they have the attitude that "I went through it, and so must you." This attitude is what keeps the prisons full.

    3.) Shockers. These are the folks that say stuff for shock value, and no other reason. They have no friends in RL, and so they must get attention where ever they can. This is the loser that knows that bad attention is better than no attention.

    4.) Some folks just don't give a crap. These are the most dangerous, and most likely to end up shooting their classmates or co-workers.

    I was in a BG this morning. I reported the guy for what they said. We were in there, and people were talking about.... well, female parts, and leave it at that. One person said

    "You guys are -insert lowbrow communications here- perverts."

    i said
    "I don't -repeated communication here- perverts."

    then came the
    "That's why you have no girl friends." coming from the lonely I am sure.

    I said
    "I've 5 kids and a wife of 20 years."

    Then came something that proved the kid just did not "get" the whole conversation.

    "Your wife must be a fat -insert foulest of words here- if you talk like that."

    /reported

    All I did was say that I do NOT have sexual relations with perverts, so the guy has to insult my wife???

    Anyhoo. OP is 100% correct. if you are /ignored then I don't want you in my party. Ever.
    You say these are facts. So I'm going to ask you to post your sources stating these facts.

    Until then I think you made up everything in your post.
    Last edited by Reiz; 09-15-2011 at 11:24 AM.

  14. #404
    Rift Disciple kansor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Excelsia View Post
    This isn't quite the etymology of the saying.

    "Fornication Under the Consent of the King" was something that was bestowed upon nobles, to take their pick of the females under their jurisdiction whenever they wanted to .... (don't get me started on men and their bloated ideas of their own self-importance -- haha)

    If you saw Braveheart and remember when the lord in charge of Wallace's county claimed the rights to sleep with the bride of his friend on their wedding night... that was an example of the "Fornication Under the Consent of the King" order.... and it is why the word that came from it has such a distaste in many people's minds.
    This does indeed sound more accurate of a possibility. Etymology is only so accurate in most cases and meanings get lost but like I said this does seem to be more logical.

  15. #405
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stormon View Post
    It's a proven fact that people that use foul language as a "means to communicate"; or abuse others and seeing it as their "right" to be an anti-social moron in a social game, are one if not all of the following.
    1.) Uneducated. Well, can't hold that against some people. Some just are not bright enough to even be more than a simple soldier, construction worker, or general labor employee. However, that gives the less bright no right to abuse or force their gutter slang onto others.

    2.) Abusers. This is the most likely case. They abuse their kids and spouses, so like cowards abuse others that they know can't defend themselves. They were abused; either in game or in real life, so they have the attitude that "I went through it, and so must you." This attitude is what keeps the prisons full.

    3.) Shockers. These are the folks that say stuff for shock value, and no other reason. They have no friends in RL, and so they must get attention where ever they can. This is the loser that knows that bad attention is better than no attention.

    4.) Some folks just don't give a crap.
    To your #1 just because some individuals choose to work as a "simple soldier, construction worker, or general labor employee" does not make them uneducated. I know a ton of people in the military ranging from infantry to comm techs and some of the infantry grunts give the comm techs a run for their money when it comes to knowledge on a lot of subjects. My bother-in-law is a construction worker and also one of the smartest guys I know. If your going to try to generalize try not to fall into one of your own categories.

    #2 Just cause a person cusses a lot doesn't make them a child or wife abuser. Even if they are directing at someone they probably wouldn't do the same in RL because there are bigger penalties there than going on someone's ignore list or getting a temp or perma ban.

    #3 Someone doing something for the shock value does not equal them having no RL friends. Some people enjoy goofing around and if that means they throw out anything to annoy others they do it. I enjoy messing with people if you LET me into your head darn right I'm going to mess with it more but that is YOUR fault for LETTING me in.

    #4 The fact that they don't care if they offend someone should be a clear sign that what they are saying is not necessarily being said in a tone that would be offensive. An offhand comment that could be found offensive by one person could be found funny by the nine other people that heard it.

    The choice to be offended is in the hands of the person getting offended not in the one who is trying to offend others. Moral of the story if it offends you ignore them if the LFG tool throws you in a group with them either A) do the dungeon with them get the reward and never talk to em, been in plenty of PuGs where the most said was making sure people knew boss fights or B) Leave group eat the debuff and carry on with what you were doing before the queue pop. (In no way am I trying to justify the action of the person that said derogatory things about your wife. I feel that personal attacks are never warranted.)

Closed Thread
Page 27 of 36 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts