+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 131
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Greed on pots!... Say what?!

  1. #16
    Ascendant Noaani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,036

    Default

    To me, the reason people get upset by this is simple.

    Part of entering any dungeon, be it group or raid, is in being equipped for that dungeon. Part of being equipped means having the consumables appropriate to your calling with you. This includes potions.

    If you do not have all the potions you need on you, you are doing the group a disservice. If you are rolling need on potions, you obviously do not have all the potions you need on you - if you did you wouldn't need that potion, and as such would roll greed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Debase View Post
    If the only target audience for Rift is disenfranchised WoW players, its doomed imo.

  2. #17
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    125

    Default

    The mana user is just as greedy if he expects to get it weather he needs or greeds, he just adds drama to the whole situation. I agree with the warrior, however I would have given it to the mana user to not be a ****** bag, but I would also tell the mana user to need next time or Ill take it!
    Blightweald
    Warrior:
    Aleta | Storkar
    Rogue: Aneleia | Fendora
    Mage: Elresa | [None]
    Cleric: Nolenne | Litego

  3. #18
    Ascendant Laughingstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noaani View Post
    To me, the reason people get upset by this is simple.

    Part of entering any dungeon, be it group or raid, is in being equipped for that dungeon. Part of being equipped means having the consumables appropriate to your calling with you. This includes potions.

    If you do not have all the potions you need on you, you are doing the group a disservice. If you are rolling need on potions, you obviously do not have all the potions you need on you - if you did you wouldn't need that potion, and as such would roll greed.
    You could have all the potions you need to do that dungeon, but you will run others after that. Many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many, many other dungeons after that. If you don't need you are doing your future groups disservice by not needing.

    There's no reason why you have to buy pots off the auction house from someone's overpriced sale when you can slowly replenish them through fighting, which you earned as a party member. There is nothing wrong with taking pots you know you will NEED to get through them.

    NEED is appropriate if you use them.

  4. #19
    Shield of Telara Chaosoul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Lost inside my mind..lehp
    Posts
    765

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laughingstock View Post
    NEED is appropriate if you use them.
    QFT

    and, /thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
    Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are incapable of forming such opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiddu Krishnamurti
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.


  5. #20
    Ascendant Noaani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laughingstock View Post
    There is nothing wrong with taking pots you know you will NEED to get through them.
    Maybe, but that isn't the way it should work.

    You don't need the pot. If you do you shouldn't be in the group, you should be shopping at the AH. You may want the pot, in order to not need to buy as many next time you are buying them. This means you should be rolling greed on the item - as you are only wanting the pot in order to save a few gold, the same as wanting an item to sell it for a few gold.

    So, the way it should work (and does in my guild) is those that want teh potion roll greed on it (what the greed button is for), those that have no use for it ever roll pass, and if you forgot to go shopping before the dungeon, you roll need.

    So to me, the real issue is with people that have no use for an item rolling greed in pick up groups.
    Quote Originally Posted by Debase View Post
    If the only target audience for Rift is disenfranchised WoW players, its doomed imo.

  6. #21
    Rift Master
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sneakyninja1 View Post
    Umad?

    /10char
    You're not doing it right, Bro.

  7. #22
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Some people just like drama. The way i handle a roll in ANY game is that if I can and will use an item, I roll need. If I can use an item but don't really need it, I roll greed. If I won't use something, that I think someone else probably will use, I pass. If it's an expensive item that nobody else is going to need on that character, not on an alt, however, I roll greed fully intending to sell it. However, being probably the unluckiest person on the planet, I don't believe I've ever won a greed roll so I might just as well pass anyway. Hell, even when the item is something I desperately need, you can almost bet I'll need roll a 1.

    So as I assume you've gathered, the person who made an issue of never rolling need on the pots was wrong - it's not the way it's always done. It may be the way he does it but I'm guessing the majority of players don't. To the person who posted that you are doing your group a disservice if you go out with less than full stacks of pots and therefor should never "need" a pot - I'm an alchemist, I always have a full stack of pots but I also use those pots in the process of trying to keep the group alive and feel that I have the right to roll need to replace the supplies I've used up. If that's not OK with you or anyone else in the group, please feel free to tell me so and find yourself another healer. My feelings aren't going to be hurt any.


  8. #23
    Rift Disciple Misterlister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noaani View Post
    Maybe, but that isn't the way it should work.

    You don't need the pot. If you do you shouldn't be in the group, you should be shopping at the AH. You may want the pot, in order to not need to buy as many next time you are buying them. This means you should be rolling greed on the item - as you are only wanting the pot in order to save a few gold, the same as wanting an item to sell it for a few gold.

    So, the way it should work (and does in my guild) is those that want teh potion roll greed on it (what the greed button is for), those that have no use for it ever roll pass, and if you forgot to go shopping before the dungeon, you roll need.

    So to me, the real issue is with people that have no use for an item rolling greed in pick up groups.
    Just curious, who are you to define my need, or the needs of any others?

    The button you choose (Need/Greed/Pass)is irrelevant to the other players as it is up to each individual to determine their own needs. Take your nanny state nonsense elsewhere. The only limitations insofar as what is acceptable to choose are established by the ONLY ruling body of the world, Trion.

    Your shoulds and oughts to's are meaninless, they are artificial constructs created by you and other players like you who feel the need to "augment" the established rules.

    If i need something, I roll need, and if you don't like it, premake your way out of the situation, only play with those who agree in advance to your nonsensical rules.
    KILL THE DUDE WITH THE THING!
    http://www.dansopel.com/mourkain_lesson.jpg

  9. #24
    Ascendant Romiz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,106

    Default

    Needing potions is also the fastest want to removed from a dungeon party. Since they are not needed it is called a ninja roll.
    System:
    Win7 64bit - I7 930 3.38GHz Liquid Cooled - 6 GB DDR3 - Ati 5970 Driver 11.8 CCC 2 - HDD Raid 0 1 TB -2nd HDD 1TB SATA - Blu-Ray - Display 32" Samsung HDTV 1920x1080

  10. #25
    Ascendant Noaani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterlister View Post
    Just curious, who are you to define my need, or the needs of any others?
    Who am I?

    I'm the person in your group, the group you joined under the pretence you are ready. If you are indeed ready for that group, you do not need that potion. If you do need that potion, you should not be in my group.

    Who are you to join a group with me that you are not prepared for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Debase View Post
    If the only target audience for Rift is disenfranchised WoW players, its doomed imo.

  11. #26
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misterlister View Post
    Just curious, who are you to define my need, or the needs of any others?
    Who am I? I'm the healer and tank not joining the LFG because who wants to deal with idiots who need on every single thing they think they can get away with ninjaing?

    Enjoy your queue time.

  12. #27
    Plane Touched
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    289

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noaani View Post
    Maybe, but that isn't the way it should work.

    You don't need the pot. If you do you shouldn't be in the group, you should be shopping at the AH. You may want the pot, in order to not need to buy as many next time you are buying them. This means you should be rolling greed on the item - as you are only wanting the pot in order to save a few gold, the same as wanting an item to sell it for a few gold.

    So, the way it should work (and does in my guild) is those that want teh potion roll greed on it (what the greed button is for), those that have no use for it ever roll pass, and if you forgot to go shopping before the dungeon, you roll need.

    So to me, the real issue is with people that have no use for an item rolling greed in pick up groups.
    Jesus. really, you are taking the need thing literally?

    You don't NEED any loot that drops under that definition either, you only WANT it. So basically in your eyes, unless you are dying in real life and a roll comes up for the emergancy service, then that is really the only time you can legitimately roll NEED.

    lmfao........
    Last edited by Gill; 09-03-2011 at 11:19 PM. Reason: profanity

  13. #28
    Rift Disciple -HellsWrath-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noaani View Post
    Who am I?

    I'm the person in your group, the group you joined under the pretence you are ready. If you are indeed ready for that group, you do not need that potion. If you do need that potion, you should not be in my group.

    Who are you to join a group with me that you are not prepared for?
    Sorry, Noaani. Going to have to disagree with you here. If you regularly need to use potions as a healer, it doesn't mean you aren't ready for something. It may mean you are backing up others in the group/raid who aren't fully ready. There's a lot of reasons a healer needs to use mana pots in this game. Especially with no real means of regaining mana except on warden builds.

    People who use pots for this reason SHOULD need. Because they use the item. Same concept as gear. If you will use it and it's an upgrade, you should need. If not, then you greed because you're just going for the money, etc.

    No idea why people separate the two examples of potions and gear. Same principle.
    Guild Leader of Alpha Legion, Evil Prankster, and Killer of Critters

  14. #29
    Ascendant Noaani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    3,036

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by -HellsWrath- View Post
    Sorry, Noaani. Going to have to disagree with you here. If you regularly need to use potions as a healer, it doesn't mean you aren't ready for something. It may mean you are backing up others in the group/raid who aren't fully ready.
    See, you missed the point.

    It's not about whether you need to use potions or not - all healers and most cleric/mage DPS should be using mana potions at least on occasion, and all DPS and support should have health potions ready to go.

    But that isn't the issue. The issue is with the specific potion that drops. The only reason you would need that specific potion is if you don't have enough for the dungeon you are in - if you came under prepared. If you don't actually need the potion, you should not be rolling need on it.

    The only issue is with people that can't actually use a potion rolling greed on it - which is what all people that can use it but don't need it should be rolling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Debase View Post
    If the only target audience for Rift is disenfranchised WoW players, its doomed imo.

  15. #30
    Ascendant Laughingstock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noaani View Post
    Maybe, but that isn't the way it should work.

    You don't need the pot. If you do you shouldn't be in the group, you should be shopping at the AH. You may want the pot, in order to not need to buy as many next time you are buying them. This means you should be rolling greed on the item - as you are only wanting the pot in order to save a few gold, the same as wanting an item to sell it for a few gold.

    So, the way it should work (and does in my guild) is those that want teh potion roll greed on it (what the greed button is for), those that have no use for it ever roll pass, and if you forgot to go shopping before the dungeon, you roll need.

    So to me, the real issue is with people that have no use for an item rolling greed in pick up groups.
    You like to waste money in games, I like to save it. If I can pick up 4 or 5 pots per run, and I run 20 runs.. guess what? I'm saving money on something I actually use. It's better for me to lot NEED than to lot GREED and have someone like a rogue or warrior who doesn't need it to get it, then say "Hey, can I have that?" Derp.

    Just because you say "it shouldn't work that way" doesn't make it so. The game mechanic determines how it "should work", and if it allows you to NEED, then I guess it "should work that way" or else Trion wouldn't have put it in there. They would have made pots GREED only.. saavy?

    But since they allowed people to NEED on them, I guess it means they know people need them.

    I really can't believe you are arguing about someone needing on a mana pot. If your position is that it's so cheap that you can just get it off the AH, then why are you arguing over a cheap item if someone NEEDS it?

    Do you also argue if someone NEEDS on grey trash too?
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 09-03-2011 at 11:24 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts