+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Horrible uptime for a game.

Let's say they do 30 minutes of downtime a day and an hour on Wednesday, during off-peak ours for the majority of players. That means the game is down 4 hours a week. WoW is down for 8 hours every Tuesday. even if Trion were to actually go down every day it is still down for less time then WoW. If you can't find something else to do for half an hour then you need to take a really hard look at your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuzzmojo View Post
    I have played Guild Wars for the whole time it was out and there were never daily patches. And only 1 downtime I can remember. And its Free to play!!
    GW is not even a MMO and does not require maintenance and patches like Rift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viln View Post

PvP is a test of manhood and most of you will fail.

Sword of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Gordan View Post
    Remember for the first few years in GW you couldn't jump? AWESOME PROGRAMMING!
    Hi. I don't care. Thanks.

Prophet of Telara

When I played Eve it was down daily for 60 minute maintenance.

Scheduled of course but still... every single day.
    Last edited by -Beck-; 08-10-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathius123 View Post
    Remember for the first few years in GW you couldn't jump? AWESOME PROGRAMMING!
    You could always jump in GW. You just had to type /jump.

I have been playing PC games for over 12 years and haven't complained openly once but I feel I have to now because I have never experienced as much downtime due to patching in ANY game. Is there any type of testing done by the quality control team before updates are put out? Seriously folks I am paying a monthly fee to be able to play roughly 75 % of the time due to mistakes/errors in code that have to be fixed daily hence bringing the game down. I would expect more from a pay to play game.
    Sure its been said already but give me the 2-3 30 min downtime a week to fix bugs/problems fast as apposed to the 4-5 hour downtime you get in wow and other mmo's once a week just for maintenance.

So you telling us SW:TOR also will not need patches. It also is a Instanced MMO.
    System:
    Win7 64bit - I7 930 3.38GHz Liquid Cooled - 6 GB DDR3 - Ati 5970 Driver 11.8 CCC 2 - HDD Raid 0 1 TB -2nd HDD 1TB SATA - Blu-Ray - Display 32" Samsung HDTV 1920x1080

I have played Guild Wars for the whole time it was out and there were never daily patches. And only 1 downtime I can remember. And its Free to play!!
    Well this has everything to do with how ArenaNet patches their game (ArenaNet's data-streaming tech is pretty awesome, and every game development company could learn so much from them).

They hot-patch everything (you'll get a system message in your chat window notifying you that the game has been updated and to just relog at your earliest convenience to get the new data to stream in and update), and the only time that I can recall the game ever being down was once, for extensive back-end database work.
    Last edited by Nepentheia; 08-10-2011 at 10:25 AM.
    You live, you learn.
    You die, you learn faster.

haha, op has obviously not been playing online games for very long... During the release of EQ it was down for a month and crashed all the time... During the first 6 mos of WOW, it was crashing every day and down for 30mins at time from Southshore battles that overloaded the servers and down they went... also, Blizzard had to order new broadband connections because they couldn't handle the amount of traffic that they were getting.... that lasted over a month with constant disconnects.

I think you have an unrealistic perception of how online games should work. Good luck!

Shadowlander

I have been playing PC games for over 12 years and haven't complained openly once but I feel I have to now because I have never experienced as much downtime due to patching in ANY game. Is there any type of testing done by the quality control team before updates are put out? Seriously folks I am paying a monthly fee to be able to play roughly 75 % of the time due to mistakes/errors in code that have to be fixed daily hence bringing the game down. I would expect more from a pay to play game.
    You obviously didnt play WoW the first 6 months....AND if you did you obviously dont remember the horrible lag issues, disconnects, and constant patching.

Go play Barbie Dress up dude....less patching prolley. Ive included a link for your pleasure....

http://www.dressupgirl.net/category/...ress-up/1.html

Part of the game premise was frequent updates and patches....

Rift Disciple

Youre kidding, right? Everytime I log in to play SC2 I see 1+gb patches and immediately turn if off to do something else. Patches here are easy breezy but comparison.

I haven't noticed any downtime at all when I play. I play 8:00PM-11:00PM central. There server is always up at that time. Maybe you are playing at the wrong time of day?

RIFT Fan Site Operator

Quote Originally Posted by Cord 8D View Post
    Well, I've been playing PC games since they started making them, and you're full of it.
    I agree with this. The uptime, compared to other MMORPG's, is way above normal. And that includes the time just after release. When Trion says the patch is going to take 30 minutes, what they really mean is 5-10. Other game companies say 30 and mean 8 hours.

I do agree with the OP in that the patches seem to come out with bugs that honestly should have been fixed prior to release, but at least they fix things quick. Sometimes they'll do 1-2 hotfixes a day to get things fixed. I'd much rather them do that than to do once a week and fix more, while leaving us for as many as 7 days with broken content in the process.

Rift Chaser

That's nonsense. GW just had the smartest ever patching system and did the uploads in the background when you didn't really notice them. They did have "downtimes" too. It's when the game told you to please restart the client. Yes, their tech was really that good. I am not saying I was a friend of their overusing of instancing, but their software was very very well designed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast