+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree68Likes

Thread: Rift compared to Vanguard

Rift Disciple

I only played a 7-day trial of Vanguard but it seems they have two entirely different audiences.. Vanguard is more for the RP MMO crowd and Rift is more for the action MMO crowd. Ie. it's comparing apples and oranges.
    refugee from Corthana and Byriel

Quote Originally Posted by -Swag- View Post
    a) Not even a comparison. Vanguard was and still is 100x the game Rift will ever be.
    Quote Originally Posted by mo0trix View Post
    2000+ posts on the rift forums means nobody believes you
    I quit because:

a) All my friends left to play AoC
    b) The inability to effectively walk up staircases (and the admission from the lead dev that the bug would never be fixed because they couldn't afford to hire a graphics programmer)
    c) Silius

I play Rift because:

a) Copernicus isn't out yet
    b) I have no life
    c) I'm a masochist

I have over 2,000 posts because:

a) My job doesn't involve any actual work
    b) Everyone cares about my opinion on everything
    c) Here on the internets, my opinion is the most important one
    Last edited by -Swag-; 08-09-2011 at 04:53 AM.

Touche.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarim View Post
    Much on the list is fluff really. The one thing I'm still missing is VG's dual targeting system, which made life a TON easier for healing and support etc.
    Their encounter display was nice too. Just a simple list + health bar of every mob you had aggro on.

Rift Disciple

Posting something like this is only going to get every Rift fanboy up in arms; God forbid you suggest that the game their ego is hinged upon isn't as good or fully featured as some other game!

VG was a great game, although (on a PvP server) a ganker's paradise. It had a well thought out questing system, the best crafting system of any game I've played, great graphics and animation, a good class system (with the ability to tailor your avatar), an openness that allowed exploring (similar to Rift, you could go almost anywhere; unfortunately, Rift is much too small), and had a lot of sand-boxy elements. You didn't level overnight; it took time to develop your character - which is Rift's biggest flaw (leveling speed in Rift is a joke, only to get to 50 and have noting but mind-munbing repetitive gear grinds to do).

But, VG wasn't a perfect game by far. It needed another two years of development time and probably another $20M-$30M of investment funding. Basically, Sigil bit off more than they could chew; grand schemes for a great game to replace EQ, but without the funding to get there, managed by someone who really knew game development, but didn't have a clue how to manage a business...

Quite frankly, Rift doesn't have the landmass to support a lot of the features in VG. Rift is wall-to-wall mobs; walk five feet - fight; walk five feet - fight; walk five feet - fight; rinse and repeat. It is highly repetitive and not exactly innovative, geared toward the ADD-types out there who want to push a one-button macro over and over -- not the thinking and more complete gamer. But, that's the current vogue in gaming... shallow, mindless, time-wasting, instant gratification games...
    Last edited by Kreegan; 08-09-2011 at 04:53 AM. Reason: typo

Vanguard is over 4.5 years old... Rift isn't even a year old.

It's just plain stupid to compare the two... especially with how unrelenting the patches are for Rift.

Shield of Telara

Uh, I played Vangaurd through closed beta plus like a year after launch. It was one of the buggiest and incomplete games I've ever played. Hince why a game that was supposed to take us back to the basics falled very hard and ended up on the SoE Sation Pass IV drip in record time.

I don't know what they really did to the game over the years but that's the same boat as comparing WoW plus 7 years of updates to Rift at 6 months. There is no fair comparison.

Shadowlander

So...

VG has better crafting and gathering apparently (since it was mentioned different ways in about 1/2 of the list).

It has housing, both personal and guild (I would like to see that in Rift). This is really the only thing that is a big improvement.

Fishing...which is always a boring thing to do (with the possible exception of Toontown Online, but I can't see that being implemented in any non-cartoon game).

Flying mounts...which was likely a factor in WoW world PvP decline. Not a big gain in hindsight unless combat is allowed on the mounts.

And the list goes on to considerably less relevant things (5 harvest professions is considered something notable over 3 harvest professions...seriously?).

To be honest, if the post was trying to encourage people to stay or go to Vanguard, he needs to provide a lot more substance outside of repeating professions are better a dozen different ways...

Rift Disciple

While I have not played Rift in about 2 months I have no doubt Trion will add the many sandbox features that will lure tons of people back. I really have no reason to play Rift until Housing and a more robust crafting system are implemented.

Vanguard was originally made by Sony. Sony is horrible.

Enough said.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Zahne View Post

Enough said.
    Fail...

Sigil Games headed by that **** Brad McQuaid

Vanguard was originally made by Sony.
    ...No it wasn't.

Enough said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ealthina View Post
    Fail...

Sigil Games headed by that **** Brad McQuaid
    Quote Originally Posted by -Swag- View Post
    ...No it wasn't.

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes is a high fantasy-themed massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) created by Sigil Games Online, and now developed and run by Sony Online Entertainment. Originally, the game was co-published by Sony Online Entertainment (SOE), and the company producing it, Sigil Games Online. The game was released on January 30, 2007, with an early access date of January 26, 2007 for pre-order customers. On May 15, 2007, it was announced in a press release that Sony Online Entertainment had completed a transaction to purchase key assets of Sigil Games Online, including all rights to Vanguard.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHangman View Post
    Originally, the game was co-published by Sony Online Entertainment (SOE), and the company producing it, Sigil Games Online.

And if you don't think SoE wasn't pushing Sigil around like crazy, you are nuts.

Enough said.
    your a moron and need to stop posting.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast