Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 156
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Why can't I just buy the damn thing?

  1. #31
    Ascendant Charlice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,616

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Einherjar_LC View Post
    This.

    It's one of the biggest reasons I no longer play LOTRO, even as a lifetime/founding subscriber.
    It's one of the reasons I stopped playing EQ2.


    Den of Madness | Greybriar | Den of Badness | Derpwood

  2. #32
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fujitasix View Post
    I don't think I've ever told anyone to go back to WoW (or whichever micro-transaction game you came from), but if you want to buy anything in an MMO with real money besides your subscription I don't want to play with you.

    Please Trion, never implement a cash store. It's one of several things setting you apart from your sell out competitors.
    You can already buy a mount in Rift though. Its been available from the start.

  3. #33
    Ascendant Landru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laughingstock View Post
    A gateway drug? I disagree.

    This is what people said about cross server.. it'll open a door.

    Mounts are clearly cosmetic and offer no in-game advantage over other players. It's just Epeen.
    Yes, as I said, it completely devalues the achievement.

    "YES! After 299 rifts I finally got a mount drop! Hey, I see you have one too, how many rifts did it take you?"

    "None, I solo'd the cash store."

    "---"

    And who said anything about gateway drugs? It's a slippery slope argument not a gateway drug argument
    Last edited by Landru; 08-08-2011 at 06:11 PM.
    I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant

  4. #34
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Landru View Post
    Yes, as I said, it completely devalues the achievement.

    "YES! After 299 rifts I finally got a mount drop! Hey, I see you have one too, how many rifts did it take you?"

    "None, I solo'd the cash store."

    "---"

    And who said anything about gateway drugs? It's a slippery slope argument not a gateway drug argument
    Why would you care if someone else bought the mount but you earned it? Didn't you get the satisfaction of earning it anyways? I 'earned' the mount but if I knew someone bought it, it doesn't make me feel like I wasted my time.. I still had fun doing the actual questline and know how difficult some parts were.

    I don't see how allowing an item is going down a slope really. There is no causal relationship here that's been proven in all the mmos out that buying fluff/cosmetic items leads to "Play to Win".

    How does it devalue or cheapen what you did through questing?

    The gateway drug reference is the argument that once you allow one thing, it will lead to other things.
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 08-08-2011 at 06:27 PM.

  5. #35
    Champion EvilDonald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    572

    Default

    Oh that Murdantix. I was looking at the last boss of a death rift on my own. He was elite and I knew I couldn't take him alone. Guardian shows up and does /say can u send ur pet and we try to get him down please? Yeah I said and sent pet in. Pet got owned hard. Quick pet res and back in, boss dude down. Guardian thanked me and I him, headed back to the portal to Meridian. Oh yeah, loot bag, let's have a look then eh? Swift murdantix spawn. I nearly choked on a cheerio! I love the randomness of this game at times. Not that any of this helps the OP but I reckon if u keep running the instance for the mount you will get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by martroll View Post
    if rift comes good it be bye bye wow.

  6. #36
    Plane Touched Bellamorte's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    285

    Default

    im sorry but no. if rift implements a cash store like everquest did, i am so effin out of here.
    Last edited by Bellamorte; 08-08-2011 at 06:32 PM.

  7. #37
    RIFT Guide Writer
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    6,564

    Default

    Why can't we buy Hammerknell gear?
    4/4 Grim Awakening (US-First) 3/3 Infinity Gate (World-First) 5/5 Planebreaker Bastion (World-First)
    Legendary Pokemon Captured: Greenscale (World-First)
    Officer of <Vendetta>
    Quote Originally Posted by Killian26 View Post
    So you're telling me that you're losing thousands of dps from minor DCs...I don't buy it

  8. #38
    Prophet of Telara Shioc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Western australia
    Posts
    1,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlice View Post
    Dear god no!

    You still might get it anyway. It will be back in game.
    Can't find the link now but will make it's return in a solo instance and some other way.
    Solo Instance?
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSquirrel View Post
    but, but...games are serious business!!!
    People need to realize that games are meant for fun. If you don't like a game then move on. Save your rage and qq for real issues.


  9. #39
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Oh you are kidding right? Haven't these QQ threads finished yet. Go cry quietly to yourself in the corner and get over it. A random rare drop is exactly that.

  10. #40
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Here's the thing, and this is a very sad, real possibility. Once ToR comes out, Rift is going to be the one being sent to the bottom of the ocean, not WoW. Yes, WoW will take a big hit, but Rift is going to get annihilated.

    Once ToR comes out and people start to leave, you can bet Micro-Transactions will be presented. Fact is, Micro-Transactions make money, hand over fist.

    Once Rift is on Life Support, be prepared to log into the Trion Store.

  11. #41
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heckubuss View Post
    Once ToR comes out and people start to leave, you can bet Micro-Transactions will be presented. Fact is, Micro-Transactions make money, hand over fist.
    Trion will be doing those types of items no matter what, in my opinion. It doesn't matter what game is coming out soon.

    If you look at most AAA mmos, most of them have something you can buy in some form. New name change, new server, new race, new orientation, new clothes, new mounts, new pets, etc etc etc.

    It's just smart business to put a cash shop in your mmo. Period. It brings in extra revenue (sometimes many more times the amount of someone's actual monthly sub) and it gives customers what they want... choices and options. After all, this IS a business for Trion.. not a Epeen Altrustic Game to make some people feel better. They are trying to make a buck.

    I don't use cash shops often but I can understand why a lot would. What I don't understand is when it comes to items that aren't "Pay to Win" and offer NO advantage in the game, why someone would care what someone else's gaming experience entails that makes them unhappy.

    I honestly don't worry about a guy/gal who has spent $200 in a cash shop on different skinnable pets. If I like the mmo I'm playing, I'm actually glad he/she did that.

    That $200 represents money going into the game that can be put into development instead of.. 0.
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 08-08-2011 at 06:49 PM.

  12. #42
    Prophet of Telara Silverangel69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heckubuss View Post
    Once ToR comes out and people start to leave, you can bet Micro-Transactions will be presented. Fact is, Micro-Transactions make money, hand over fist.

    Once Rift is on Life Support, be prepared to log into the Trion Store.
    TOR will almost certainly have MT's. And the players are already overwhelmingly against it.

    So this will still be another way for Rift to set itself apart even after TOR releases. Trion will do what they feel like they have to do, but I hope they are listening to their community that contains (based on this thread) a significant population of F2P refugees.

    It's true that Rift's system of grinds, extremely hard-to-obtain items, and high plat costs almost looks like a setup for MT's. We could even see it this fall, much less after TOR releases.

  13. #43
    Prophet of Telara Shioc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Western australia
    Posts
    1,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heckubuss View Post
    Here's the thing, and this is a very sad, real possibility. Once ToR comes out, Rift is going to be the one being sent to the bottom of the ocean, not WoW. Yes, WoW will take a big hit, but Rift is going to get annihilated.

    Once ToR comes out and people start to leave, you can bet Micro-Transactions will be presented. Fact is, Micro-Transactions make money, hand over fist.

    Once Rift is on Life Support, be prepared to log into the Trion Store.
    Tor isnt going to take that much, and even if it takes a bit people will come back, this is a fanatasy game tor is more sifi, therefore they really are competing for a different market, I am one of the ones that wont play tor, looked at it doesnt interest me.

    From all the writeup's I have read and beta players I dont believe it going to be all its hyped up to anyway.

    GW2 on the other hand is a concern, same target audience and pvp seems like its going to be more balanced...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSquirrel View Post
    but, but...games are serious business!!!
    People need to realize that games are meant for fun. If you don't like a game then move on. Save your rage and qq for real issues.


  14. #44
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silverangel69 View Post
    So this will still be another way for Rift to set itself apart even after TOR releases. .
    They wouldn't have to do that to be different, Silver.

    I doubt after anyone played RIFT and then went to SWTOR, they'd think "Bleh, this is just like RIFT." At least from the videos and gameplay I saw.

    Quote Originally Posted by Shioc View Post
    GW2 on the other hand is a concern, same target audience and pvp seems like its going to be more balanced...
    This is even less of a concern to RIFT than SWTOR (GW2).

    The game is buy it, play it for free.. forever.

    If someone truly liked RIFT, they could sub for as little as under $9 bucks a month (with plan) and still play GW2 all they like.... free.
    Last edited by Laughingstock; 08-08-2011 at 06:55 PM.

  15. #45
    Prophet of Telara Silverangel69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laughingstock View Post
    There is no causal relationship here that's been proven in all the mmos out that buying fluff/cosmetic items leads to "Play to Win".

    How does it devalue or cheapen what you did through questing?

    The gateway drug reference is the argument that once you allow one thing, it will lead to other things.
    Game companies are orchestrated behind the scenes by bean counters who are running a business, and the cash shop items are widgets. They see the big profit numbers from selling the fluff, and so you have a slippery slope. The fluff is a gateway drug that entices the primary desire of businesspeople to make profits on their investments.

    The evaluation and cheapening argument doesn't come from simple questing. It comes from the big grinds--like a hard faction grind where the faction horse is sold in store for $10 as an alternative. The rewards for doing the work all of the sudden don't mean anything, so there is less reason to actually want to play and achieve something.

    Quote Originally Posted by Laughingstock View Post
    They wouldn't have to do that to be different, Silver.
    Like I said, it's *another* way.
    Last edited by Silverangel69; 08-08-2011 at 07:28 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts