+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: REQUEST! More macro slots! 5 Souls, 20 macros. That's only 4 macros per soul.

jca
    Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Voqar View Post
    It does seem like 20 is a bit limiting given how effective macros are and the number of roles available.

Actually, I'd argue that understanding how to stack skills into a macro for efficiency takes skill and doing so makes you vastly more effective and efficient.

The sheer number of possible attacks goes beyond the default number of useful hotkeys (surely a purist doesn't create extra hotkey keybinds...they'd burn in hell for that?), macros are a built-in feature that are probably intended to be used, and most sane players want to be effective and efficient.

If you intentionally and purposefully do not use a built-in feature (macros) that helps you be more efficient and effective, what does that make you?

I'd say lazy and non-skilled? Possibly ignorant too?
    Ouch ! But brutally correct as well ;)

You do indeed get 30 more macro slots with 1.4. Was a very nice addition. Also, for those who don't test on the PTS, they redid the skill book. It now arranges skills by category, Aka damage, debuff, buff, ect, and puts them in alphabetical order. It's an extremely nice change that helps youfind things so much faster.

Champion

In the mean time, be proactive. I use more than 20 macros on one of my characters. It takes just a bit of effort, but I have them in a .txt file which I copy and paste from. As has been pointed out multiple times in this thread, it is just text.

By the way, in case this needs to be pointed out, I wrote them in the in game interface and copy/pasted them to the .txt file as well, so they could be tested as they were written.
    I'm wearing my asbestos underwear. Flame on!
    Quote Originally Posted by mo0trix View Post
    So buy a keyboard that lets you assign macros....

I've played since launch and I don't mind pressing a line of buffs... repetitive, sure... but so is masturbation... still we keep doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Artorous View Post
    You do indeed get 30 more macro slots with 1.4. Was a very nice addition. Also, for those who don't test on the PTS, they redid the skill book. It now arranges skills by category, Aka damage, debuff, buff, ect, and puts them in alphabetical order. It's an extremely nice change that helps youfind things so much faster.
    That sorting in particular make me exceedingly happy. I caused a wipe on Caelia because I forgot to put my cleanse on my action bar, and couldn't find it fast enough in my abilities book to cleanse the person with the AoE debuff.

It's my macro-slots and I want it now!

But seriously, more macro space would be welcome. As a mage that consistently swaps between all five souls, I can only consolidate so much. Had to delete a few utility macros that were convenient (but not necessary), to make room for more mouse-overs and encounter specific macros.

reads a bit of thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorous
    OH. Well, that is awesome. Carry on. =D
    Last edited by Timewarp; 08-01-2011 at 02:40 PM. Reason: reading is hard for me.
    Cataclysm broke WoW, but resilience will fix it!

There's actually 25 macro slots currently and we'll be getting 25 more in 1.4.

PTS notes... read them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Majorin View Post
    Think of a 30 meter circle around all ranged dps rogues and mages. Ranged dps can stand in the back line and focus fire targets without worrying about mobility and most forms of cc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinbik View Post
    Sounds like an excellent plan for your healers to follow as well, as they have an even longer range on their heals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolomite View Post
    Here's a thought. Quit complaining about more macro slots and actually exercise some skill with your class. Macro player = lazy non skilled player.
    See below.

Quote Originally Posted by Voqar View Post
    It does seem like 20 is a bit limiting given how effective macros are and the number of roles available.

Actually, I'd argue that understanding how to stack skills into a macro for efficiency takes skill and doing so makes you vastly more effective and efficient.

The sheer number of possible attacks goes beyond the default number of useful hotkeys (surely a purist doesn't create extra hotkey keybinds...they'd burn in hell for that?), macros are a built-in feature that are probably intended to be used, and most sane players want to be effective and efficient.

If you intentionally and purposefully do not use a built-in feature (macros) that helps you be more efficient and effective, what does that make you?

I'd say lazy and non-skilled? Possibly ignorant too?
    As stated above when the number of skills required exceed the number of keys you can effectively bind them to some macro's are no longer a "lazy" thing as you put it but rather a necessity if you are looking to be competitive against other players who are utilizing all of the tools at their disposal. Typically I will lurk and could give a crap about post count or any of that stuff but I felt something needed to be stated regarding the blatant ignorance of the statement you posted. Regarding Mage's having no macro's at all that is false also. While they are not long macro's in some cases there are ways of utilizing macro's for more efficiency for all the classes.

Whether it be PVE Raiding, Dungeon's, or Expert Rifts if you can be more effective and have less chance of error which will benefit your group/raid then it is no longer a fact of whether you should be using it or not but rather a why would you not do it? Be a purist or whatever but in the end be the best you can be utilizing all of the tools the game developers have provided you with. Work smart vs hard.

I definitely prefer a healer utilizing macro's healing me vs a person attempting to spam off this heal or that especially if we get in a bind. Learning to play the game means doing due diligence and utilizing all resources available. This is not an exploit or add on but rather a built in feature as stated by the 2nd quote. This is not a flame but rather a fact. If the developers had no intention of allowing this then it would have never been included in the first place.

Please think before hitting the submit reply button.
    http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee249/mike_winget/smallriftsig.png

Quote Originally Posted by Machiko_Naguchi View Post
    You do know, of course, that not all people use macros to do combat right? They also use them for searching out monsters, harvesting nodes, combining their 25k point sight spell with mounting and dismounting so it's always up, etc, etc.

Only a short sighted fool would ASSume that someone who wanted more macro slots doesn't know how to play their class and that they are ONLY used for combat.
    so, what's your macro for harvesting look like?

Macros take up more than 'just' text space, each macro has a few other things associated with it. To the person that said why not provide for unlimited macro space - allowing any player in the game to essentially use up as much of Trions storage space as they want will no doubt crash the game, be it from disgruntled customers or even from a corporate attack.

Additionally, activating a macro takes up significantly more system resources than activating the abilities normally. A compound/spam macro where the majority of abilities are not actually cast is even worse. To be honest, I can't see any logical reason Teion would want to encourage greater macro use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Debase View Post
    If the only target audience for Rift is disenfranchised WoW players, its doomed imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Noaani View Post
    so, what's your macro for harvesting look like?

Macros take up more than 'just' text space, each macro has a few other things associated with it. To the person that said why not provide for unlimited macro space - allowing any player in the game to essentially use up as much of Trions storage space as they want will no doubt crash the game, be it from disgruntled customers or even from a corporate attack.

Additionally, activating a macro takes up significantly more system resources than activating the abilities normally. A compound/spam macro where the majority of abilities are not actually cast is even worse. To be honest, I can't see any logical reason Teion would want to encourage greater macro use.
    Regarding more than just text space: This depends on whether Trion has the macro's saved to their server or not. WOW ending up doing this w/ WOTLK for people to be able to access their macro's from other PC's ect. Without facts coming from them I will assume the Macro's are saved on the maching you have the game client on.

While I agree it should not be unlimited. I highly doubt a macro will crash the server, add to this if that is all it took to crash one of their servers then I doubt Blizzard would have ever allowed macro's on their servers ever being the cash cow it is.

I would also be interested to see a link or basic facts regarding the harm a compounded spam macro not casting would cause. Trion has smarter people who work for them making sure they are protecting their investment. If it was a security issue I doubt they would have ever enabled it in the first place. For as new as the game is. It has always had coin lock and they released the mobile authenticator shortly after.

Based on these facts I see Trion who appears to take their security/our security seriously. You may be against Macro's or the use of them but w/o substantiated facts to back your claims I will assume it is simply your not liking them steering your statements.
    http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee249/mike_winget/smallriftsig.png

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3