+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Character name changes: the truth, the lie, and the waste of time

Quote Originally Posted by BKR2879 View Post
    Pick and name and stick with it, whats so hard about that??? Oh right, nothing.

Unless someone is a constant ninja looter and needs a new identity.......
    Not everyone is a boring stick with no personality, some people like changes. OHMAHGAWD I changed my hair style in RL, someone call the cops I must be a fugitive trying to hide from the law!!!
    I have a photoshopic memory. I remember everything you say or do exactly the way I want to.

Quote Originally Posted by jMerliN View Post
    They already do. And yes, within the confines of game operations, they are. It's called customer service.
    No...they don't. You do...it is an AUTOMATED part of the character transfer system. There isn't a CS guy waiting with his finger hovered over the "Name Change" button.

As others have said...including the CS guy who gave you more help than you deserve...fill in feedback for an automated name change service to be allowed, or use the means that is already available...that people already knew of anyways, including you, including CS. Quit wasting CS time with your entitlement generation ********. Did it occur to you that a CS person may have a list of things they can...and can't do? Did it occur to you that your impetuous ADD mentality may not have any bearing upon whether or not they can change it for you "RIGHT NOW!"? The CS guy asked you to submit feedback so that it CAN be done by an automated procedure...so that he doesn't have to waste his time on *** clowns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    RIP Chopsticks!

...I will remember this...Trion saying "So...we realized we put a hair model into the game we didn't mean to, and we realize that you guys have been using it for like months, but after careful consideration we decided upon our plan to remove it. First we will pull it, undocumented, unmentioned, and unexplained. Then we will ignore or deny all /reports on it being missing and redirect everyone into limbo until such time has passed that we can feel comfortable saying "You can't expect us to change it back NOW can you?""

It will stand as an example to me of how Trion will "deal" with "fixing" what wasn't a "problem" to begin with and then hide behind some malarkey excuse...

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    Not everyone is a boring stick with no personality, some people like changes. OHMAHGAWD I changed my hair style in RL, someone call the cops I must be a fugitive trying to hide from the law!!!
    "You, Change your Mind,

Like a Girl, Changes Clothes..."
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

It's sad Trion wont take the 30 seconds to just make a paying customer happy.
    Takes the same amount of time to copy/paste their bullcrap that just pisses you off more.

Customer Service was one of Trions strongest points & now it's gone from a 10 to a 4 in only a few months.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
    No...they don't. You do...it is an AUTOMATED part of the character transfer system. There isn't a CS guy waiting with his finger hovered over the "Name Change" button.
    And do you think there's a CS guy waiting with his finger hovered over the "Transfer" button? No. It's automated.

Do you think there's a CS guy waiting with his finger hovered over the "Password Change" button? No. It's automated.

Do you think there's a CS guy with his finger hovered over the "Coin Lock" button? No. It's automated.

So by your logic, none of these services are offered.

LOL that's a great find. Since the original formatting is a little hard to follow allow me to re-itterate.

1) Create a character on any server with the same name as your existing character. Call this server, server B.

2) Create a character on your original server (Server A), with the character name you want to have, both to make sure it's available, and to reserve it for the 7 days.

3) Transfer your character to server B, where you will be forced to change names. Change it to the name you want to have that you gave your other temporary character on server A.

4) Wait 7 days.

5) Delete the temporary character on server A.

6) Immediately transfer your character back to server A.

Free name change XD Again, genious idea, the OP deserves the credit, I'm just trying to make it easier to understand.
    Several folks have posted about this since they announced that they were going to allow free transfers (I mentioned it more than a month ago).
    Jaya
    Tertian of the <Children of Mechanus>
    Kaleida (Defiant)

Sez

Quote Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
    Several folks have posted about this since they announced that they were going to allow free transfers (I mentioned it more than a month ago).
    Can I now call you "The Prophet Jaya" ?

If we want to get too technical, I predicted the 1.3 Dominator FoTM
    Sez is now Zes on Dayblind

- Rogue Lead - <Gestalt> - Defiant - Dayblind Server -

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    Can I now call you "The Prophet Jaya" ?
    No, I'm pretty sure I wasn't the first. I just know I mentioned it more than a month ago. It was a pretty obvious result of free transfers.
    Jaya
    Tertian of the <Children of Mechanus>
    Kaleida (Defiant)

This is awful, now my server is full of chars named Y_A and Y_B and they are terribly confused....TIC

It would be helpful for people who made typos or find out their name has a inappropriate meaning to be able to change names.

Seeing as you can already server change and force a name change by simply creating a name there first, the option would seem reasonable.

For myself I would like the option to ignore accounts across my entire account.
    Last edited by Duvain; 07-12-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jMerliN View Post
    The truth

If you can handle it, is that name changes already exist in Rift. At least, if you're on a server that is open for transfers OR if you have an alt that is level 40+ (relative to the character who's name you wish to change).

It's very simple. Let A = your server, B = some server with transfers open to your faction, and X = your character.
    1. Create a character Y_A on A and Y_B on B with the desired name (these are merely reservations).
    2. Create a character M on B with X's name if the name is not already taken.
    3. Delete Y_B and immediately transfer X to B and use the name previously given to Y_B.
    4. When you can transfer X again, delete Y_A and immediately transfer X to A.

You have now completed your free name change.

The LIE

GMs tell you that they cannot change a character's name. If pressed, they will say that they are not permitted to change character names. If pressed more, they will claim that many people want to change their names but they do not provide this "psuedo-service" at this time and ask you to put in feedback.

Feedback.

We all KNOW how terribly slow "feedback" results in feature changes. Amirite? I've fedback so many bugs I can't even remember -- and maybe a few of them within months of reporting were ever fixed (most still aren't).

No. This is ********. They can, and do, change player names. If you transfer and your name was taken -- they will change it for you if that name was reserved (as described above) by an inactive character. They do other such things that they normally say they "aren't supposed to."

You pay for this game. They can in a few seconds change your character name. More importantly, YOU CAN ALREADY CHANGE YOUR OWN CHARACTER'S NAME, ANYWAY. Even more importantly THEY ADMIT IT IS NOT A BIG DEAL TO CHANGE YOUR NAME FOR YOU, but they still "wont" -- even though they do it, all the time. Bottom line, you paid for the game and you pay monthly for the game -- if you want a name change but don't want to wait the 7 days or whatever-it-is time to transfer a character twice, you shouldn't have to. Especially because this is less "important" than half of the **** GMs do anyway. And it's not like they're paid $80k/yr salaries to do it, either. Customer service is exactly that.

The waste of time

In a recent encounter with just such a GM (not named here due to forum rules), instead of simply performing what is an incredibly routine task that is assuredly done quite often -- even one he admits we can do ourselves (lol...), he instead wasted his and my time coming up with rebuttals to the request and repeatedly asking me to, of all things..... you guessed it.. submit feedback. I'm sure you're paid to tell someone for hours you can't do something (that you can, in a few seconds) because you're now allowed to (when you are) even though they can do it themselves.

Here's my feedback. And this is ********.

Have a nice day

Maybe you should take a break from MMORPG's.

Nice sarcasm, but my point is a valid one.

Gold farmers and ninja looters would make heavy use of an easy way to change names anytime they wanted.

It shouldnt be easy and it shouldnt be offered as a "service" either. For server transfers they have to unfortunatley, but tying up their resources because people don't want to make a new character with a new name for a "change" as you call it, is not a good thing.
    CPU: i7 920 @ 3.6Ghz MB: ASUS Rampage III Extreme RAM: 12GB Corsair Vengeance Video: 2 x EVGA 670 FTW's in SLI HD: Crucial M4 256GB SSD LCD: Shimian 2560x1440

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2