+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: Character and Guild Transfers (More details and info!)

1.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #1
    Rift Team

Default Character and Guild Transfers (More details and info!)

Hi all,

We are very pleased to be bringing free character and guild transfers with the next update.

These transfers are the most recent step towards further optimization of our worlds so we can have even more people playing together on the same shard and in warfronts!

A few weeks ago, we doubled the size of the wargroups allowing you to engage in warfronts faster and with more people!

Last week we updated the hardware on all of our worlds to further increase our overall capacity.

Now, with character and guild transfers, we’re taking the next step towards improving your play experience.

Starting with the RIFT 1.3 Update – Waves of Madness, you will be able to transfer any of your eligible characters to selected shards every seven days … for free!

Here’s a few key points you’ll need to know to get started:
    • For most shards, characters must be level 15 or higher and have no mail or auctions to transfer. There is no level limit on trial shards.

• You can transfer FROM any shard.

• If you are a guild leader, you will have the option to transfer your guild with you. (Guild members won't automatically transfer with you.) If you do, the folks you leave behind will be notified where the guild went so they can re-join the guild on the new shard. Characters who transfer to the new shard will automatically be re-joined to their guild at the recruit level.

• Available destination shards will be determined by a combination of total population and current per-faction population. So you’ll see some shards available to transfer as a Defiant that you won’t see on a Guardian; and shards you’ll be able to transfer a Guardian to that you can’t transfer a Defiant to; and there will be lots of shards that any character can transfer to.

• Some shards will be flagged as “Trial” shards. These shards are selected for use in future trial program events, such that we don't end up with large blasts of trial users taking up subscribers' slots, forcing subscribers to queue, as has happened in the past. Non-trial players will not be able to create characters on these shards and subscribers will be notified that they’re on a trial shard when they log in. Characters on Trial servers will be able to transfer off at any level!

Keep in mind that we will be monitoring the activity levels of all wargroups over the next few weeks and will be making adjustments to their composition as appropriate once the initial wave of transfers has settled out.

Rest assured that there is more to come with further shard optimizations and new programs!* We want you to play with your friends and we’re constantly working towards new and better ways to allow more and more people to play together.

We'll have a full step-by-step guide on how to transfer your character and guild tomorrow! For now, you can see which shards will be allowed destinations at these links:

~ Firecait
    Project Manager, RIFT

Shadowlander

Cool, thanks for the info!

That list seems very long to me, I didn't expect it to include servers that already have queues on prime time though.
    I guess it's more for convenience than it is for population balancing.
    Last edited by Kardon74; 06-21-2011 at 11:49 AM.

Soulwalker

Kinda sucks on my end. I'd like to transfer my 50 guardian on Tearfall over to Briarcliff but I guess that's out of the question right now. Kinda sucks =/

Shadowlander

So if our shard is not on the list of possible destinations - any transfer off of that shard will be permanent?

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by FireCait View Post
    [*]Some shards will be flagged as “Trial” shards. These shards are selected for use in future trial program events, such that we don't end up with large blasts of trial users taking up subscribers' slots, forcing subscribers to queue, as has happened in the past. Non-trial players will not be able to create characters on these shards and subscribers will be notified that they’re on a trial shard when they log in. Characters on Trial servers will be able to transfer off at any level!
    So it's 'tough luck' if you're on a subscriber on one of these, either move or suffer queues.

Why not set up NEW server(s) for trialists and leave current subscribers alone?

Quote Originally Posted by Kragorn View Post
    So it's 'tough luck' if you're on a subscriber on one of these, either move or suffer queues.

Why not set up NEW server(s) for trialists and leave current subscribers alone?
    There are enough servers right now as it is. The Trials will be able to roll on the low/med pop servers and help fill those up when they are a full subscriber. On a low/med pop server issues of queues, even because of trials, will not be an issue.

Thxs for info!

Now we play the waiting game. I wonder when they moaning will begin.
    Last edited by Lockiszemode; 06-21-2011 at 12:36 PM.
    Pre-server merges BS statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    Given how quickly population seems to be growing overall, I think we'll see new servers before mergers.
    Post server merges BS Statement:
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_seebs View Post
    I think at this point I'm obliged to grant that functionally I was wrong about mergers.
    A quick snap of the neck keeps those corpses nice and dead like." ~ Ferry

Soulwalker

I will moan!
    Why is it free?
    People will pay lots of money for a service like this

Rift Disciple

Removing the ability for people to go to very low population shards in hope you can close the shard in the near future is a good call on Trion's part. Maybe reopen these closed shard's later to share the load for heavy loaded servers during short world events would be very nice. You would need to give people a in game "choose which version of X server you want to use during massive events" option so people don't get mad they are not with their friends.

Champion of Telara Silverangel69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lockiszemode View Post
    Now we play the waiting game. I wonder when they moaning will begin.
    Your signature is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Skozios View Post
    I will moan!
    Why is it free?
    People will pay lots of money for a service like this
    They did not say it would *always* be free.

RIFT Guide Writer

Quick question. I originally rolled on Deepwood, which turned out to be a complete and utter wasteland during Oceanic rtimes. I got my first toon to 50 and had nothing to do but twiddle my thumbs.

I re-rolled eventually on Wolfgsbane. Great server for our timezone. As soon as I hit 50 I started doing experts and T1's. Very happy with my new location.

Question is, will exceptions to server lists be allowed for people with 50's pre-existing? It's hardly going to hurt server pop on Wolfsbane if I send my Rogue alt over. I'm not planning or remotely capable of playing both toons at once.

Soulwalker

What is the process for seeing if character names are taken on the destination server?

I'd like to know if the name I am attached to is one I will continue to use before I move.

Quote Originally Posted by perfectres View Post
    What is the process for seeing if character names are taken on the destination server?

I'd like to know if the name I am attached to is one I will continue to use before I move.
    a) log on to server
    b) try to make a lvl 1 char with the name you want.

Good thing the Rp servers are open. Can they stay that, please? I will transfer all my chars to Argent soon, then
    Define skill: Skill is to know what, when, how, and what the f to do about it.
    "It's nice to be important, but it's important to be nice"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast