+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stop the pve and pvp segregation. (sugguestions to discuss)

Rift Master

Default Stop the pve and pvp segregation. (sugguestions to discuss)

I really don't get why people get so bent out of shape trying to keep the two so separated.

I think the pvp souls should be a 4th soul as some have stated. Points should be purchased for favor (increasing amounts the higher you get). The souls should be reworked to accomidate this change, it should be similar to daoc, in that you improve quite a bit early on with passives and cd abilities gained, but takes alot longer to see improvements as you get more points. there should be no max in points, so there's always something to improve upon and work towards. The abilities obtained should improve pve performance as well.

Pvp gear should either not exist, or remain as it is costing favor to buy, slowing down your pvp soul progression. So you could still do pvp only if you wanted, but you wouldn't get relics or better pve weapons. Pvp gear should not have valor.

Valor should be a stat that works how it does today. However, it should be given as you level, a well as when you gain prestige ranks. I would say remove it completely, but I don't know how they would balance the dmg needed to take down pve bosses with much higher health vs players health.

hit should also be removed.

there should be something similar to darkness falls in daoc. Basically a pve dungeon that is not instanced, and both factions can enter. Only one side can enter at a time, and some open pvp objectives should determine who can enter, such as owning keeps or maybe something new rift style. Should be different sides that the factions enter at, and places to level at for lower levels, but plenty of stuff for higher levels to kill. including bosses, that would need rare drops in that it would need to have a decent respawn timer that would be somewhat farmable compared to raids.

I enjoy rift, but it just doesn't feel right. There are two factions, but it feels more like 1 faction, and joining wfs is just picking teams for some little scimmage between that faction. I really dislike the segregation that players seem to demand between pvp and pve. Both should supplement each other for a complete gaming experience. while I think having instanced dungeons is ok..having everything instanced kinda ruins the whole mmo feel.

I know all these changes would cause an outrage, especially from the pve crowd. I also know its far too drastic to ever expect these changes to happen. I just thought id throw it out there.

Did I mention I missed daoc

I already posted this on pvp forums, but thought it might get more discussion here.
    /discuss

Rift Master

I think it would bring more players out to pvp, and the pvp players would have a place to do some pve without the isolated pve feel. charcters would progress, and be better overall, not better in just one aspect of the game.

Obviously balance would be an issue, keeping the newer players somewhat competitive, and I think crafted gear its the answer to combat that, as the gear gets better and better, crafted gear needs to as well, also would give a reason to have a basic coin currency, which is practically worthless currently.
    Last edited by Nooblet; 06-17-2011 at 03:44 AM.

Banned

I would actually like to see each zone to have a 1 contested camp hub to fight over and control.. from both NPC's and/or PvP players. PvP would be optional and this hub would have rewards in some matter or form to justify the desire to fight over it.. It would have repeatable quest turn ins.. special vendor npcs.. etc etc.. Wardstones was suppose to operate like that, but it failed.. I would rather see something like Halaa was in Negrand.. (WoW)
    Last edited by Rydeson; 06-17-2011 at 03:49 AM.

Soulwalker

Relic Raids!! ( for Nooblet ;) )

No NO and if you missed it NOOOO!!!
    Keep your pve as far away from my pve as possible!

Scott Hartsman assured us back in in beta that pvp would never have a effect on our pve play.
    I do not want to kill other people and i do not want to be killed by other people.
    Personally i would prefer a server where both sides could group and guild together just like in eq2.

Your idea would make this game a ghost town fast since most pve player would drop it fast!

I care about PvP about this much >.<

I have tried it in this game (I try it in all MMOs), and like in all MMOs, I don't care for it. When I want to fight another player, I do it in a game system where skill matters, not "who can camp for the best gear" and "who is in the best guild for camping for the best gear".

Real PvPers play FPS's, NOT MMO's.
    Retired from the forum community 12/19/2017

Quote Originally Posted by Machiko_Naguchi View Post

^^ This right here!

My system: i3 3.5ghz processor, Asus GeForce 450 1gig 128bit GDDR5, 2x4GiG Corsair 2000 mem, Samsung B-ray, Coolmaster HEF case, 650PW supply and win 7 64bit Home Proffesional.. Also a few other mods..

Quote Originally Posted by Rydeson View Post
    I would rather see something like Halaa was in Negrand.. (WoW)
    I really enjoyed this in WoW and I'm not a "PvP'er". I liked this because it wasn't forced on people yet, was available to jump in when you felt like it.

Great idea for Rift.

I personally haven't enjoyed PvP since DAOC...however, I don't begrudge another player from enjoying it and having ample access to it.
    http://www.axiomfiles.com/Files/391408/SigJulianna01.jpg

Banned

Real PvPer's play FPS? Really? Can you name the FPS that have a dynamic world in which players/factions fight over contested lands with a persistent affect? Planetside is the closest thing that comes to mind, but I don't think that is classified as FPS..

Halo.... =)

My system: i3 3.5ghz processor, Asus GeForce 450 1gig 128bit GDDR5, 2x4GiG Corsair 2000 mem, Samsung B-ray, Coolmaster HEF case, 650PW supply and win 7 64bit Home Proffesional.. Also a few other mods..

Champion of Telara Silverangel69's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Machiko_Naguchi View Post
    Um..no. I like swords and dark elves, not guns or sci fi. Now what.

PvP progression in Rift is an alternate advancement path. This means that a player who does not like PvE raiding can have something to achieve, to earn, and to be proud of, and vice versa. This is a reason why people get bent out of shape, imo. They want to protect the meaning of their trophies and the ladder they climbed. Alternate advancement paths that cater to different playstyles are a win-win for the developer (more player time sinks, instead of giving them a one-key-fits-all path), and the player.

+ Reply to Thread