+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Should high elves have face markings?

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Soteira View Post
    Just something minor that I have been giving some thought to. I would like to hear your opinions on the topic.

So, should high elves have face markings?

My answer to this is no. It is my opinion that, face markings denote primitivism. High elves are deemed to be very cultured, refined and more advanced than some other sub-races of elves. Face markings should be reserved for such elves as drows and wood elves (as an example).
    Solution: don't give your high elves face markings. It never ceases to amaze me how people think their individual opinion should be able to ultimately define the game for everyone else. Marking are an option. That means no markings for you, some markings for others. We can all share the sandbox.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by j1083 View Post
    Solution: don't give your high elves face markings. It never ceases to amaze me how people think their individual opinion should be able to ultimately define the game for everyone else. Marking are an option. That means no markings for you, some markings for others. We can all share the sandbox.
    You're assuming too much. I do not wish for my opinion, as you put it, to "ultimately define the game for everyone else".

Please, re-read my opening statement and you will see that I am only after opinions on the subject matter. I have not stated anywhere, explicitly, that this is something that should be done, because I want it.

Yes, it is an option, but should that option be available to high elves? I thought what I meant was pretty clear.

Nevertheless, I appreciate your comment.

Soulwalker

I apologize if I jump to conclusions.

Still, I would contend that markings should be an option that is available to high elves because... they already are. Clearly, the developers wanted them to have markings. Clearly, there are players who appreciate having them.

So far as denoting primitivism, I suggest the following: in Rift high elves are supposed to have a dash of "primitive." They are the chosen of Tavril, goddess of the untainted forest. They are, as a race, inherently more attuned to the wild.

As for being "more advanced than some other sub-races of elves" that's a very interesting opinion to hold. The Kelari most certainly do not seem to agree with that assessment and no objective game material I can think of says otherwise. They had sprawling cities all their own, with spirit-crafted wonders nigh on rival to the magitech of the Ethian sorcerer-kings of old. High elves are the ones who either want to cling to an outdated religion while rejecting advances in technology or murder everyone to create the savage garden paradise of their demented dragon-god.

Finally, I've never made a dwarf or Mathosian, but it seems to me the option of markings is available to the majority of player races in Telara. Markings may be regarded in Telara in way entirely different from how they are in our own world. It may indicate primitivism to you, but in fantasy culture, there's no reason to think markings couldn't be the exact opposite.

Soulwalker

With respect, I think your idea of a “classic fantasy” high elf is a fantasy in itself. Can you refer us to the source of your definition?

There is a literature category called “Classic Fantasy” but it only applies to books written before 1980 – I think. That category would include books like LotR, The Hobbit, The Last Unicorn, The Sword of Shannara, etc. Early D&D manuals could probably count in this group since most of what we see in fantasy MMOs have some roots there too. But you would be hard-pressed to find THE definitive description of “High Elf” in these works…

In Tolkien lore, the Calaquendi (high elves) were not a race, but a name given to all elf races who answered the call to return to Valinor – anyone who refused the call was considered Moriquendi (dark elf). Also, the Tolkien lore contradicts itself when you compare descriptions of the elves in the Silmarillion and the middle earth tales of LotR.

AD&D manuals define high elves as:
    • The high elf is the most common elf variety. High elves average 5 feet tall and typically weigh just over 100 pounds. They live on fruits and grains, though they occasionally hunt for fresh meat. High elves prefer colorful clothes, usually with a green-and-gray cloak that blends well with the colors of the forest.
    • High elves are the elves most commonly encountered by other races, and the most open and friendly of their kind. They travel to other lands more than other elves. They're generally dark-haired and green-eyed, with very pale complexions the color of new cream. They simply do not tan, no matter how much time they spend under Oerth's sun. High elves prefer to wear light pastels, blues and greens and violets, and often dwell in homes built into living wood, high in the trees
    High Elves didn’t appear in D&D until 1989 so they don’t fall into the ‘classic’ category anyway.

I think that every artist/writer/game-maker has a different idea of what elves and 'high' elves are...I don't think there is one definitive source that would tell us what high elves would and wouldn't do.

Here's my opinion on the matter;

Elves as a sentient race have the choice, just like human children who rebel and get tattoos, who knows elven children can do the same, or you have those that choose to be different. The great thing is, we are given that choice. And for the RPers out there the markings can be holy symbols ect.

Many people get tattoos for many different reasons, being a people who is close to the forests and Tarvil it's likely that they would express faith in many different ways.

What it comes down to it the person behind the screen, what do the symbols on your elf mean to you, and if you don't want them, you don't have to take them.

That's why there's a character creator, if you don't want marks, choose no marks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2