+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tips for new players for Beta 4

Shadowlander

Default Tips for new players for Beta 4

I decided to compile some tips for those of you who may be getting started in RIFT for the first time during beta 4. These tips are based on my (albiet limited) experience with the game.

General Tips:
    1) It takes about 8-10 hours to get a character up to the 18-20 range. Instances are great XP so I would recommend running instances from 18 - 20.
    2) When you hit 18 it is worth the trip to visit both Realm of The Fae (RoTF; in the Guardian zone of Silverwood) and Iron Tombs (IT; in the Defiant zone). These are well built dungeons that are involving and have good xp and loot.
    3) Group mobs will kick your solo butt. You've been warned!
    4) Don't spend your money! Save up for bags and your second role (discussed below).
    5) If you're in a raid then try to get close to your other raid members to make area healing easier for your healers!
    6) Abilities activate on key RELEASE not key press. So be quick about your hotkeying!
    7) If you're on a PVE server and you heal a PVP-flagged player (green name) then you will be flagged for PVP for 5 minutes.
    8) You CAN outrun mobs but it takes forever. Be safe and go around.
    9) Rogues: Your stealth is only 30 seconds and mobs see through it often. Be careful.
    10) Mages: Invest in a mana regeneration skill as soon as possible for your build (i.e. Elementalist 6)
    11) Tanks will be one of the rarer roles. Make a group happy and make a Warrior.
    12) If a world event happens grab a pitch fork and pitch in! The world events are part of what makes RIFT awesome. Try them out.
    13) There's plenty to do so have fun. If you don't like questing then RIFT, don't like RIFTing then run instances, don't like instances then PVP, there's plenty to do in Telera.
    *14) The servers may come down at least once or twice a day for 30 minutes (or longer) each time. Eat some food, surf the "Oh NOES server died" threads and take a short break.
    *15) The only safe spots on the map are the main cities (ie meridian on the Defiant side) all of the outposts can, and probably will, be attacked by RIFT invasions. Remember that if you go AFK in an outpost you might come back to a ghostly version of your character.
    *16) Buffs and debuffs are vital in RIFT PVE. An armor buff or attack power debuff can be the difference between a crushed tank and victory. Be sure to use any buff/debuffs you have if they're appropriate.
    *Tips added during editing.

Advice on Soul Selection
    **Calling is your archtype (mage, rogue, warrior, cleric)
    **Soul is the specific application of that archtype (mage--pyromancer, rogue--assassin, warrior--paladin, cleric--cabalist)
    **Role is a set of souls that you arrange and can switch between (mage role 1 "PVE" Pyromancer (19)/Elementalist(6)/Choloromancer(0)::mage role 2 "Instances" Elementalist (19)/Storm Caller (3)/Chloromancer(3))
    1) Choosing an offensive/pet soul as your first soul will help you level through the first several levels. You will most likely be going through the first several levels solo so an offensive soul is going to be faster than a defensive or support soul.
    2) Don't worry too much about your first several souls. You will get access to all 8 souls in your calling at level 13 (at least it was level 13 in Beta 3) You do not have to re-roll if you don't like your soul choice.
    3) Once you get access to more than three souls then buy your second role. You can switch between your souls whenever you're not in combat. This can be most helpful if you choose two different lines of work for your roles (ie a tank role and a dps role).
    4) You can reset your soul traits at your calling's trainer. It's cheap/free in beta so don't be afraid to play around with different builds!
    5) You can only invest soul points in a tree up to your level. For instance, at level 12 you will have about 16 points (1 for each level 1-12, and a bonus point at 3, 6, 9, and 12). But you can only spend 12 points in a single soul tree.
    6) All of the souls designed for a specific purpose (dps, tanking, healing) do at least moderately well in that purpose so pick what you like and whichever soul fits your play style the best.

I hope that these tips help you out if you're just starting! I'll add more as I think of them and I encourage others to do the same.
    Last edited by Lansolyn; 01-06-2011 at 03:36 AM. Reason: Adding more tips.

Weird, what's with all the beta tutorial threads suddenly o.o

Thanks for the advice I'm gonna do the opposite of everything you just told me and see what happens.

Rift Disciple

Thank you for a very helpful guide. From my play experience it is sound advice.

Plane Touched

Thanks this is helpful.
    Last edited by yyiri; 01-05-2011 at 07:20 PM.

It's very nice to see helpful threads like this.

Hat's off to you, sir or madam.

Shadowlander

I like being versatile but tanking as well. (Think feral druid from WoW)

What class fills that role best? (Able to heal myself, kill enemies fast when needed and tank when needed)

great helping the new intake of peeps out. This is what will make us great.
    people helping people and

ALe for all!

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by kravenscookiejar View Post
    It's very nice to see helpful threads like this.

Hat's off to you, sir or madam.
    Sir, and you're welcome.

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Nokturnal View Post
    I like being versatile but tanking as well. (Think feral druid from WoW)

What class fills that role best? (Able to heal myself, kill enemies fast when needed and tank when needed)
    Sounds like you'll want to go with the cleric calling then Justicar (tanking), sentinal (healing), and warden (healing) souls.

Also those world events are awesome for xp. I went from lvl 15 to 17 in one of them and got the purple thingy for world rifts that you can use later (when you have 2) to get some purple gear or weapon

Quote Originally Posted by Alente View Post
    Weird, what's with all the beta tutorial threads suddenly o.o
    I was just gonna ask that. Great minds??

Btw OP +100 to this thread. I agree with all your tips.
    Last edited by Belenos; 01-05-2011 at 07:36 PM.

Great thread! Defiant Ministry Of Silly Walks approved!
    LIVE LONG AND DEFIANT !!!

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Lansolyn View Post
    Sounds like you'll want to go with the cleric calling then Justicar (tanking), sentinal (healing), and warden (healing) souls.
    That sounds like a lot of healing and not so much dps. Hehe

I hate being main healer or even off healer, i like being able to ONLY heal myself (like post combat to reduce downtime) while being able to DPS really well on the go and Tank it up when i'm grouping.

But you've played the game and I haven't, so is that still what I'm lookin for? hehe

Shadowlander

Quote Originally Posted by Belenos View Post
    I was just gonna ask that. Great minds??

Btw OP +100 to this thread. I agree with all your tips.
    Wow thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast