+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Character Customisation

Default Character Customisation

I am curious to find out what others think about the apparently limited character customisation. Granted, facial customisation grants a lot of opportunities for differentiation, and Rift seems to be offering a wealth of options here, but the fact that we are - apparently - not going to be able to affect body size and shape is quite disappointing.

Height, weight, muscle mass, body markings and skin tone have all been dealt with very well in many other and much older games so I am a little puzzled why Trion don't appear to be giving that option here. For instance, I tend to maximise Ker's height, but keep him quite lean. On the other hand, I have, in the past, kept DE SK quite small.

Is the customisation chatter rumour or has it come from the Dev team? And do folk think it is something that could be added in later - or are they generally not bothered about it?

Ker

Quote Originally Posted by Keredh View Post
    Is the customisation chatter rumour or has it come from the Dev team? And do folk think it is something that could be added in later - or are they generally not bothered about it?
    Source for that talk about the character customization being limited to face only comes from the MMORPG.com article that was posted yesterday about Rift character creation. Where they state:

For the readers out there as vain as I am you’ll be pleased to know that Rift offers fairly decent options in designing your character’s appearance. Once you’ve made all the important choices for your character, you can customize their appearance by tweaking a number of options including: skin color, eye color, eyebrows, hair and hair colors, makeup if you’re female, facial hair if you’re male, and facial markings. You can also do some face morphing by dragging a pip along a triangular slider (think Age of Conan’s character creation). Unfortunately, you cannot morph or adjust the physical attributes of your character’s body.
    Now it could be that the body customization simply isn't available at this point or it could be that Trion chose to limit the body customization to reduce potential clipping errors from armor, weapons, shields etc. but as far as I know, there hasn't been any official dev quote about the body customization - so as with any stuff that comes via press/fansites/etc, I guess we will just have to wait and see how it is.

But I'm not too fussed though provided that the pre-set models actually looks great, (which most of the ones seen in screenshots do so far in my opinion) but I would have definitely loved to see at least height slider if nothing else as far as body customization goes - to create at least little variety.
    Last edited by AyameArai; 08-11-2010 at 02:55 AM. Reason: added the link

The informations comes from the mmorpg.com article

For the readers out there as vain as I am you’ll be pleased to know that Rift offers fairly decent options in designing your character’s appearance. Once you’ve made all the important choices for your character, you can customize their appearance by tweaking a number of options including: skin color, eye color, eyebrows, hair and hair colors, makeup if you’re female, facial hair if you’re male, and facial markings. You can also do some face morphing by dragging a pip along a triangular slider (think Age of Conan’s character creation). Unfortunately, you cannot morph or adjust the physical attributes of your character’s body.
    The past showed that articles aren't always an 100% source of final made informations. Maybe it's just still in process or maybe it's final. We don't know at this moment.
    Gamescom is right on the door, only one week left. I guess this is one the good questions.

I would also be little bit disappointed and surprised if we can't actually customize the characters body. It doesn't need to be much options, but at least some selectable pre-made options would be great.

Edit: Posted parallel with AyameArai

It's a bit disappointing to not have sliders for size/body build to be honest. I would be more bothered if there were only 10 preset faces and 10 preset haircuts to customize a character (a'la WoW) so I hope the lack of body customization is offset by good flexibility with facial customization.

Oh yeah, and make sure you put a "barber shop" option in at launch - you know it'll show up eventually anyway, get it out of the way

Official Rift Fan Site Operator Ciovala's Avatar

I'm not sure what to think of the MMORPG article, since we did see character creation in the E3 videos. All it shows is a slider into three sides of a triangle, and then a circle around the outside. However, I didn't see anything in the video which was applicable to lips, eyes, etc., so I have my doubts how much some bits actually change... But, hopefully we can find out at Gamescom in the near future - it is one area I'm really hoping we get to see and the playing isn't limited to just a character being pre-designed and loaded into the world.

The devs have said they are against too much body customisation but haven't come out and said they won't have any at all...but its true we've seen none to date. I'd be quite upset if a 2010 MMO didn't allow you to do anything in this area, so hopefully they've just not worked out the fine details?
    Last edited by Ciovala; 08-11-2010 at 04:21 AM.

A wiki is only as good as its contributors – won't you help?
    The original Rift Wiki - EN DE FR
    [Add a guild] [Add an Item] [Add a Quest]

I don't think this is a case of being a '2010 MMO' or anything ... Too much character customisation can be a terrible thing. Some of the mutants in Aion, with every bar maxed out, just made my eyes bleed and spolied my immersion as much as names like 'Rangerd00d' (which they normally had as well tbh).

I am happy with the middle ground, allowing body types and restricted sliders for build, height etc. Having decent hair styles and details such as piercings and tattoos are more important for me personally.

I don't need a slider to adjust my eye tilt a fraction of a degree that no one will ever notice and indeed I will have forgotten I ever did 5 mins past the character creation screen.
    Last edited by Vesavius; 08-11-2010 at 07:24 AM.

- Personally, the number of customisation options is not a biggie for me. I do however have friends, and i have played together with people who puts an insane amount of time into the looks of their character.

- To me, this is "fluff", for others its a major part of the game. Its the same with crafting, where some players never gets a character to max lvl, but have 5 chars who are all maxed in different tradeskills.

- Alllthough i struggle to wrap my head around that, im not the one to judge other peoples playstyles and interests within a game.

- But, every gamedirector have to decide on where and on what they should put time and resrource into. If the choice stands between finishing a highlvl raiddungeon or give mages the option to look like plate-tanks through appearance items.... i know what I would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Vesavius View Post
    I am happy with the middle ground, allowing body types and restricted sliders for build, height etc. Having decent hair styles and details such as piercings and tattoos are more important for me personally.
    There we go. Tbh I also believe in that mate! Give me few decent facial tattoos, and I dont care if my character is a macho man or a scrawny kid!
    I don't need to "Get a life."! I'm a Gamer! I have loads of Lifes! - - - Necromancy - happiness is an army of unstoppable, loyal, killing machines.

I am confident that Trion will add some more options, probably in Beta.

That being said, I would be fine with some-what limited character customization as long as we have the option to customize our armor choices a great deal through appearance slots, capes/cloaks, visible backpacks/trinkets.

I hardly take the time to look at other players' facial features, but I do notice if every scout-type class in the game is wearing the same exact armor set.

Making a character unique really gives me alot of enjoyment in a game. I thought Aion's character creation was equal to none I'd ever seen, and has frankly spoiled me. I do agree that there should be limits, so that the look of the toons stays within certain parameters ie no mutants. But to limit them to basic hairstyles and markings would be disappointing.
    '

Telaran

To be honest, the only game I've really cared about for character creation is CoX, the others, as long as I can make my guy either really tiny or really big, and I like the hair/beard then I'm happy.

For me, I'm looking at the back of my guy 99% of the time, I usually turn off helmets/hoods when I can, I think it looks cooler. So I need to be able to have bald + bear or hair + beard or hair that looks nice and then either giant or tiny.

Giant when I make tanks, tiny for everything else, just like the way that looks

Character creation is a huge thing for me. I have been disconnected at times for the amount of time I have spent making my characters. They are something you will hopefully be working on for years, and that seems like a good reason to be able to customize them to your hearts content. To have it only restricted to the face is sad, but I would still play. It has been held off to the end in the past though. While testing there was only minimal customization, and by the end you could do several things. I need to have a height adjustment at least. I hate being the exact same height as everyone else. Different body types would be great as well. I like my mages to be slim, and my tanks to have girth. A slider for body mass would be best, but I could settle for 3+ different types to choose from: Thin, Muscular, Fat, etc.

If Trion intends to make a AAA title in todays market they would have to have some kind of extra character customization in the works. At least I would hope so.

Aion did have a great system, but it took it way to far in almost every category. I can understand not wanting that. I can't understand not wanting anything. I would be happier with a random body generator then just being the same as everyone else. One of the big bonuses you normally see in western MMOs is the customization options. Lets hope Rift is not the exception to the rule.
    Last edited by Osias; 08-11-2010 at 09:55 AM.

I have to say character customization is very important to me. I spend a long time getting the look just right. Aion was definately the best. I do pay attention to how other toons look, and give compliments when I am impressed.

It's disappointing that you have no sliders for thick and thin and height. That face morph better be really good at making a wide range of unique looks, to get past all the bodies looking the same. Most people can't stand the idea of looking like a clone.

I don't worry about body customization at this point of the game. Still, when finished I would expect to be able to adjust at least hight and the major bits of the body. This does not mean that we have too see overly chesty females and Arnold Schwarzenegger bodies for the boys, but you know, a little indivdualism is not too much to expect.
    ELDER of TELARA

Proud member of NEMESIS

Yes I am a bit disappointed that we wont be able to change body type
    http://www.trinityguild.org/images/userTrinity.gif

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast