+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Character Customisation

I could understand if they don't want any strange and crazy characters, but ... at least give us SOME body customizations. I'd like the choice of fat/skinny, broad-shouldered/narrow, muscular/lean ... at LEAST! *sigh*

I love being able to customize my character. I like being able to make my toon look like its mine. But then it can be taken too far. Most of it is facial, a few things for body would be nice. Size, skin colour and a couple small things would be cool.

I really hate the Wow type thing where every toon you run into of your race and gender looks just like you. War Hammer is much the same to me. Somewhere between EQ2 and AOC would be cool.

Bottom line is to some people its not important but to others its a huge thing. To keep the game active and alive they are going to want to semi please both sides.

I have to say that character customization is something I really enjoy. While the facial customization is great sounding, I've been burned a few times by games that stuck me with Play Boy bunny females where I could not adjust the size of the bosom to something sane. Because of that, I find myself kind of uneasy when I can't change those things.

I can understand why the Devs might not want it, but I think, in terms of a modern game, customization is something that can definitely add to the appeal of a game on the market.
    ------------------- * -----------------------
    "Our echoes roll from soul to soul, forever and forever ... "
    Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Good News From TenTonHammer:

Your character will look pretty good, especially for a recently dead guy. Character creation is as rich and detailed as you'd expect in a modern RPG, complete with the en vogue triangular sliders for face and body shape, loads of hair styles, et al.
    source:
    http://www.tentonhammer.com/rift/han...preview-part-1

This appears to say that the body is now customizable to at least some degree.
    Last edited by Sylvrin; 08-12-2010 at 08:35 PM.
    Those who guard nature, guard life itself. Those who defile nature bring death and destruction upon us all.

Official Rift Fan Site Operator Ciovala's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvrin View Post
    Good News From TenTonHammer:

Your character will look pretty good, especially for a recently dead guy. Character creation is as rich and detailed as you'd expect in a modern RPG, complete with the en vogue triangular sliders for face and body shape, loads of hair styles, et al.
    source:

This appears to say that the body is now customizable to at least some degree.
    I personally think that TTH made a mistake here. The preamble to both this article and the MMORPG one both seem to imply that both were at the same event at Trion HQ. However, MMORPG were quite explicit in mentioning the lack of body sliders, whilst the TTH page sort of mentions it in passing. They also use the same phrase about 'en vogue' sliders as their preview article in April, so I think the article was a quick edit. I wonder if Trion can confirm or deny this? ;)

I do stand by my 2010 comment as I think it is true that most people have certain expectations now about what you can do with your character. Granted I'm one of those people who spends a lot of time trying to make myself look just right, but I find it doubtful that I'm in the minority there.

A wiki is only as good as its contributors won't you help?
    The original Rift Wiki - EN DE FR
    [Add a guild] [Add an Item] [Add a Quest]

Quote Originally Posted by Ciovala View Post
    I personally think that TTH made a mistake here. The preamble to both this article and the MMORPG one both seem to imply that both were at the same event at Trion HQ. However, MMORPG were quite explicit in mentioning the lack of body sliders, whilst the TTH page sort of mentions it in passing. They also use the same phrase about 'en vogue' sliders as their preview article in April, so I think the article was a quick edit. I wonder if Trion can confirm or deny this? ;)

I do stand by my 2010 comment as I think it is true that most people have certain expectations now about what you can do with your character. Granted I'm one of those people who spends a lot of time trying to make myself look just right, but I find it doubtful that I'm in the minority there.
    Yes it would be nice to get a confirmation one way or another. And I am in total agreement with you on the time spent making your character look just right. PWI allows extensive customization on their avatar models and I would spend hours making them look just so! I eventually made 4 and each was very unique and very pretty in her own way.
    Those who guard nature, guard life itself. Those who defile nature bring death and destruction upon us all.

I don't find the character customization limited. So long as I can change face shape, hair, and colors of most of the body, I'm fine with it. At least it isn't like LOTRO where you get like 6 faces, and choose between them.

Quote Originally Posted by moirae View Post
    I don't find the character customization limited. So long as I can change face shape, hair, and colors of most of the body, I'm fine with it. At least it isn't like LOTRO where you get like 6 faces, and choose between them.
    At least we will be able to chose our hair colors too, I'm sure therte will be limits, but you couldn't pick a city to come from for RP if it didnt have the hair color you wanted

But yeah, I'm fine as long as i can modify the face, hair, and colors.

Ascendant

The more recent article at Tentonhammer states:

Character creation is as rich and detailed as you'd expect in a modern RPG, complete with the en vogue triangular sliders for face and body shape, loads of hair styles, et al.

It sounds like there are more options than in that earlier article at MMPRPG.COM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2