+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Beta Playing Etiquette (Just sayin...)

Thumbs up Beta Playing Etiquette (Just sayin...)

As we players gear up for Beta 7, the anxiety has us all giddy. For those who have been in beta before, we kinda know the routine now... Wait for email... get email, patch up... wait for server to go up on designated day (Tuesday in this case at 10 AM Pacific Standard Time). Jump in and play...

But I expect there are going to be a lot of us out there that are totally new to beta sessions in Rift, either through getting an invite this week or last, or preordering, soooooooooo I just wanted to do this little community service on what to expect and what we should do or not do in beta. (Other beta vets feel free to add or subtract to this).

1- Know your time zone: Sounds easy to do but hard to remember... Last beta there were at least 15 posts (give or take) from irate people wondering why Trion dropped the ball and opened the servers late. They did not. 10 AM PST means Pacific time... the time in California. Not 10 AM New York time, London time, Berlin time, or Tokyo time... PST is 8 hours BEHIND the time in London. If you are in doubt as to what your local time will be, consult this handy map.

2- Servers go up and down: It is beta... as such it is a test. There may be some bugs, there may be a patch that needs to be added. When this happens we get at most 5 minutes notice that the servers are going down. When this happens, find someplace relatively safe to go and log out. Do not post on the forums "ZOMG THE SERVER IS DOWN!!!!11!" We know... And I am pretty sure Trion knows too. They are usually only down for 30 minutes tops. That is not a guarantee though. It's beta, it happens... sometimes often.

3- Be courteous to your fellow player: Is it really necessary to hate on the dude who decided to make his toon look like an emo-elf? Come on kids, this ain't elementary school here. This community is a pretty awesome one, but try to remember this is a privilege we all have to be even IN a beta test in the first place... Don't go ruining it by acting like a complete jagoff. Everyone plays their Rift the way they want to. Plenty of room for everyone.

4- Healers are your friends: But that does not mean they will ALWAYS be there to prop you back up. In major events (whether serverwide or PvP) they are probably going to be swamped with people they need to keep healthy. They are ascended... they are not super human. Or as the good Doctor McCoy would say, "Dangit Jim I'm a cleric not a miracleworker!" Don't be bad mouthing the healer because they just healed 10 other people and ran out of mana before they could heal you. If it were that easy, everyone would have rolled a healer class.

5- Meet people: Sounds silly to say in a MMORPG, but surprisingly a lot of people like to be antisocial. Get out and meet some folks. Group with em, run some quests, do an instance. The friend you make today just may be the dude or dudette who saves your life in the next warfront. Not to mention when it is time to do that Iron Tomb instance you already have a pool of people you can pick from instead of spamming LFG chat or General with "18 mage LFG!!!11!!!!1!"

6- It's all fun and games: Do not take anything personally in a beta. So you got spawnkilled by the same dude 3 times. No need to go telling everyone what a dbag he is. Gather some friends, hunt him down, and kill him back. It's PvP after all and this is Rift, not land-o-carebears. This beta we are about to do is about PvP. Expect to be killed... possibly a lot.

7- Alls Fair in love and loot: The loot system in rift is NEED/GREED/PASS. Live it, learn it, love it... Don't whine about it please. Chances are you can either make a friend of someone who just crafted an uber piece of armor, or you can craft it yourself... and it will be even better than the loot you just lost out on. Btw all, the system is NEED (I genuinely can use this piece for my class), GREED (I am just going to sell it, cause I want money), or PASS (don't care for it either way and am not greedy). Please pick the appropriate one. Going NEED just to be a dbag is sooo not cool. Remember that these things bind to your toon. If more than one person NEEDS it, it is random chance... Choose wisely.

8- L2P (Learn 2 play): Before you go posting on these forums "ZOMG NERF (insert class here), THEY R 2 OP!!" Learn to play the class you have chosen. RIght now there is no balance to the souls, which means ANY soul is good at one thing at least. It's not rock paper scissors, and I doubt Trion is going to make it that way. The class you think might be suckiest, might just be the same class that takes you out in a warfront. Why? Because that person learned how to play their class!

9- WoW Warz: Do not belong in Rift beta. It is Rift beta and tbh no one really cares how they do it in Azeroth when we are on the battlefield. Spamming the general chat just to be a troll does not make you any friends, nor does it impress anyone. Play Rift. You got a beta invite, play the game. If you do not want to, log out and open up the game of your choice. Same could be said on these forums too, but that is another topic.

and finally...

10- GIVE FEEDBACK!: The whole point of you beta testing is to let Trion know what works, what does not work, what bugs you find that may have slipped past the Alpha group, and what suggestions you think would make something better. As I said before, this is a great privilege we ALL have to be able to beta test this game. The devs have proven that they listen to us, and value our feedback. Please help em out by giving some at the end of the beta session. It's really the only surefire way we will ALL get a game we can be proud of come launch day.

I hope these little pointers help you this coming beta. If you are as excited as I am about playing this week, then I know we will all have an awesome time. Be sure to thank Trion for the chance to play, and be prepared to meet some awesome friends on Telara. If you see Abigale or anyone else in the chat channel, tell her hi and thank you!

See yall on Telara.

/exit soapbox right.
    Last edited by Belenos; 02-14-2011 at 07:57 AM. Reason: edited to make more current. beta 6 not 5

A valiant effort but then hey if people were actually going to bother reading it they might have read the stickies or forum rules and we both know that's just silly talk.

Oh I know... but it killed some time for me.

Great information Belenos! I'm sure this will come in handy for many people. The rest of them, well it might confuse them. You see, your map shows it is 4:00am in california and that's going to throw some of the people off. Trust me on this...

What a great post. I hope people actually read it.

I'd like to add... please don't run to the forums after you play and do this:

Feedback is awesome, and it's what the Trion team wants. But only if it's coherent and not a bunch of whiny BS.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDeath View Post
    Great information Belenos! I'm sure this will come in handy for many people. The rest of them, well it might confuse them. You see, your map shows it is 4:00am in california and that's going to throw some of the people off. Trust me on this...
    Yeah but i could not find one that actually showed 10 AM in Cali and I really do not feel like photoshopping tonight.

/10characters

This message is ale aproved.

ale for all and refills for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Belenos View Post
    Yeah but i could not find one that actually showed 10 AM in Cali and I really do not feel like photoshopping tonight.
    Haha... we can't even get people to use the proper form of "Your, You're, or Yore" generally, yet you expect them to read a timezone map AND actually comprehend it? You're an eternal optimist, sir!
    Last edited by GoldenTiger; 01-05-2011 at 06:56 PM.
    Rig: 256gb SSD, i7 2600K quad-core (w/ HT, 4400mhz), GTX 670 Gigabyte OC WindForce @ 1354core/6510mem, 2560x1600 (Dell 3007wfp-hc S-IPS LCD monitor 30"), 16GB DDR3.
    Double the pixels of a 1920x1200 monitor = yummy graphics! I do love my eye candy...
    GSB, RoS conqueror, DH, GP cleared, 10/11 HK + P3 Akylios pre-nerf, Mage of Wolfsbane

Thanks for the info xD and I do want to hug that carebear.....

This be the ONLY sticky on this board.
    Jazebel - Admin - Revolution gaming recruiting: Recruitment thread - Revolution Gaming
    {} CPU: i7 920 @4.1Ghz {} GFX: Radeon HD 5970 Dirt 2 Edition 2048 MB {} RAM: 6GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator GT {} HDD: Intel SSD X-25M Postville {} MOBO: Asus Rampage II Extreme{} Screen: 27" Samsung Syncmaster P2770 {}

I second the sticky nomination.

I'd agree if we could get rid of a couple current ones.

It's getting awfully crowded up there with threads people are never going to read...

Excellent work, Captain Obvious :P

Seriously though, the sad thing is that some people will actually learn from this.

Default Time Zones

Great post, now if people would actually read it, especially the timezone issue........

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast