As announced, Free Character Transfers will be released in RIFT Update 1.3. These Free Character Transfers will be available to players on select shards via a new in-game feature. We are pleased to be able to offer this service to our players and hope you find it to be a great way to further enrich your experience and connect with others, we have provided a brief FAQ outlining this new feature below.
We’ll continue to release additional details as we get closer to the release of 1.3 and we encourage you to ask any questions you might have, we’ll do our best to answer all we can – thanks!
What are Free Character Transfers?
How often can I transfer my character?
- Free Character Transfers will allow you to move your characters to select shards through an easy to use, in-game feature.
What do you mean “select shards”?
- We’re allowing one free transfer, per character, to a select shard every 7 days. Please note this is subject to change while we continue to develop and test the new service.
Can I move from a PvP shard to a PvE shard or vice-versa?
- We want the shard you select to provide the best experience possible. It is important that there remains a balance between Guardian and Defiant players and to that available shards do not become too over populated or unbalanced. For this reason you will only be able to move to specific shards we’ve selected to accept new transfers, please note the shards available for transfer may change over time.
What about my stuff?
- Of course! The rule set of your current shard will not prevent you from moving to a shard of a different type. So PvP, RP, PvE, or RPPvP to your heart’s content - Just remember, you’re subject to the rules of your new home! (For example, non-consensual PvP on PvP shards and stricter naming policies on RP shards.)
Can I transfer from a North American Shard to a European Shard?
- We’ll have specific details later, but have no fear! You’ll be able to take your items, currencies, achievements, titles, pets, collections, and heck, maybe even the kitchen sink!
I’m a guild leader, can I transfer my guild?
- Not right now, currently transfers will be restricted to select shards in your territory.
Will these transfers always be free for everyone?
- Absolutely, we know you and your members work hard to level your guild and make it your own. We’ll announce more details about this feature closer to its release, stay tuned!
So, when will 1.3 be released?
- For the forseeable future – yes! They could even become a permanent addition to the RIFT experience. This is very much an experiment we want to try and we feel this feature will add a unique way to play RIFT unlike other MMO’s. We’ll see how it goes and keep an eye out for any issues that arise.
- 1.3 is the next major installment for RIFT and will arrive early this summer. Keep an eye on www.riftgame.com and here on the forums for more details as we get closer to its release!
Updated - 05/23/11 @ 12:13PM PDT
What if my character or guild's name is already taken on the shard I want to transfer to?
Will I be able to change my characters faction (from Defiant to Guardian for example) when I transfer or transfer my Character to another active account?
- You'll be warned in the event of a naming conflict, should you decide to continue with the transfer you will be forced to re-name your character or guild before playing.
- Not at this time, while these options are something we might look into in the future they will not be available for the initial release of the Free Character Transfer feature.