+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Roll Etiquette on Gear Above Your Lvl?

Soulwalker

Default Roll Etiquette on Gear Above Your Lvl?

So lately i've run a few dungeons that are above my level cuz I got big nuts like that...

Just wondering if it's ok to roll NEED on gear that's an upgrade but can't use yet because it's like 3-4 levels higher? I think I rolled GREED just to avoid any conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by w00p View Post
    So lately i've run a few dungeons that are above my level cuz I got big nuts like that...

Just wondering if it's ok to roll NEED on gear that's an upgrade but can't use yet because it's like 3-4 levels higher? I think I rolled GREED just to avoid any conflict.
    I would just ask your group at the beginning of the run. If I'm in a dungeon that can drop loot higher than my level I always ask and so far have always been told it's perfectly ok.

Most of these need/greed problems could be fixed so easily if people would just communicate with each other.

^^^

Ask, always better to ask then to look like a total Dbag..please see other NBG posts on forum for example if you need

Rift Disciple

There's a large guild on my server that runs events a couple of times a week. Their rule is that on items that you cannot use due to your low level, you can't need them. "Need" generally means that you are willing to and capable of equipping it immediately.

I think their rule makes sense.

Soulwalker

Quote Originally Posted by Kjel on Faeblight View Post
    ...you cannot use due to your low level, you can't need them. "Need" generally means that you are willing to and capable of equipping it immediately.
    That. See that's what I was thinking, but I'll ask next time before the run.

There's a large guild on my server that runs events a couple of times a week. Their rule is that on items that you cannot use due to your low level, you can't need them. "Need" generally means that you are willing to and capable of equipping it immediately.

If the guild was offering their services to the general public... then sure, I'd agree. I've done that a few times in another MMO, but if something dropped that I could potentially use and no one else was rolling on it (regardless if it's higher lvl) I would just ask - if rules hadn't been noted beforehand. Fortunately, they've been reasonable.

So as Shriker has said - communication is key. If they say no, then you'll just have to accept it and move on.

Rift Chaser

Ask the group, but generally I'd say you are 2nd priority. If there is some one else in the group who is of the appropriate level for the gear they get to roll need first, but if everyone else in the group Greeds it I have never seen a group of people who said I couldn't Need on an item I would use in a level or two. All the same, you should definitely ask first.

I would also like to take this opportunity to point something out to DPS classes:
    If you are DPS and some one of the same class is a tank and a tank item drops, the person tanking the zone gets priority on tank drops. If you're a DPS warrior and the tank rolls need on a tanking item, you are supposed to pass on it. I don't know how so many people have missed this memo.

If the squeaky wheel's always gettin' the grease,
    I'm totally devoted to disturbing the peace.

Ascendant

You will grow in to it in a matter of hours in game play, don't worry that you can't wear it now, roll of it if you want it. Others can trade ya for it if they really want it more than you.

Rift Chaser

Quote Originally Posted by Vydor View Post
    You will grow in to it in a matter of hours in game play, don't worry that you can't wear it now, roll of it if you want it. Others can trade ya for it if they really want it more than you.
    Except almost every worthwhile dungeon drop is BoP... Please don't confuse the newbies.

If the squeaky wheel's always gettin' the grease,
    I'm totally devoted to disturbing the peace.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by FuseAQM View Post
    Except almost every worthwhile dungeon drop is BoP... Please don't confuse the newbies.
    -nods-

But BoP has nothing at all to do with items you grow in to.
    Last edited by Vydor; 05-16-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Shadowlander

If you're contributing to the kill then I don't see why you can't "Need"; you have just as much "right" to the item as the next person if you're actively participating.

With that said, I don't follow this same advice though. I've been in dungeons where items have dropped that are above my level and I simply roll "Greed" rather than "Need" if there is another player that can use it right away. In the end though, like others said, it would be best just to talk to the group and see what they have to say. I'd bet 95% of the time nobody will care.

If anyone else in the group needs it, you shouldnt, because you can always run it again once you are the right level to get the gear while they can use it now, but if no one else is gonna need, go ahead.

Rift Chaser

Default Are you serious? Did you actually say that out loud before you posted it.

Quote Originally Posted by w00p View Post

1) Its a friggn game and you don't need some strangers permission to do anything
    2) If its gear that you will use eventually then you have every right to it.
    3) Since you were above your level to begin with every item will probably be non useable for you
    4) If anyone were to disagree with this, then they should have kicked you from the party for being to low a level
    5) If you were making viable contributions to the effort then by all mean you are entitled to the spoils.
    6) You don't owe anyone anything.

Hi, that's been changed to within 5 levels. So for instance a level 45 can roll need on a level 50 item. People level really fast in this game. What we don't want is a level 30 rolling need on a level 50 item.

Here is a thread our leader wrote about it:
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthrea...ers-to-clarify
    Returning Beta - Lvl 50 Era player

Quote Originally Posted by Cerranos View Post
    If the guild was offering their services to the general public... then sure, I'd agree. I've done that a few times in another MMO, but if something dropped that I could potentially use and no one else was rolling on it (regardless if it's higher lvl) I would just ask - if rules hadn't been noted beforehand. Fortunately, they've been reasonable.

So as Shriker has said - communication is key. If they say no, then you'll just have to accept it and move on.
    Yes our events are public, anyone can join. We now state the loot rules ahead of time, and whenever new people join in.
    Returning Beta - Lvl 50 Era player

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast