+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Difficulty/Reward Instance "Slider"

Telaran

Default Difficulty/Reward Instance "Slider"

I'm not a programmer, but I can imagine something like this would be pretty difficult to impliment. Trion has done some pretty amazing things that have never been seen in MMOs before, so it might be something they could eventually figure out. I'm going to go ahead and post in order to get this idea out there and see where the conversation leads.

With the expert changes in 1.2, the only thing that everyone can agree on is that there are (basically) 2 schools of opinions on whether the change was great or awful. There hasn't been much opinion (at least posted on these forums) from people outside of those two ranges. You either love the changes or hate them. As I'm sitting here at work and thinking of ways to avoid doing something that I really need to do, this got me thinking.

Now, I can appreciate that ideas like this one have probably already been posted, but again, I wanted to get this out there just in case. A solution to this issue would be a "sliding" difficulty bar for the expert instance. The difficulty would be based on overall mob HP/dmg (indluding abilities). The more difficult, the more plaques you get (for "daily" reward) and the higher percentage of getting addtional epic drops from bosses. The less difficult, the less plaques you get (for "daily" rewards) and the lower the percent of getting additional epic drops from bosses.

There would still need to be a default difficulty that could be adjusted before the first member of the group zones into the instance. Once set, it could not be changed unless you reset the instance (which would be locked to you the same as it is now). The "slider" could be implimented in several ways. Either the group leader could just set the slider or a vote could be initiated, which the results could either take the average difficulty or the majority (average would be best).

What this accomplishes is that those that want it tough could still have it be tough. Those that want it easy could have it be easy. Each group would be rewarded for the effort and time they put in.
    Last edited by Breadmold; 05-16-2011 at 07:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Breadmold View Post
    Trion has done some pretty amazing things that have never been seen in MMOs before
    They have? ^.-

As for the rest of your suggestion, I think it would be cool, but frankly I want to see more diversity in instances, and new 5 man instance content added before they ever consider something like this.

Rift Chaser

Difficulty sliders have been done in other MMOs and yes, they are a reasonable way to solve the dilemma that players will NEVER agree on the "correct" difficulty for MMOs. Having the same drop tables for all players, but with higher drop chances for increased difficulty makes sense, too.

While this is a nice idea, the problem remains its not fair for casuals.... some will argue it is but its not the casual crowd will complain the better players are earning more rewards and we're back to square one... I'm a hit em hard kind of guy I've been doing dungeons since 3 weeks in and have more plaques and gear then I'll ever need... I also raid... I'm sad that these were made so easy you can three man all of them but they said only 5% could finish dungeons... so no matter what they implement hardcore will say too easy, the carebears get just as much as I do.... casuals will say too hard, the elitist are ruining the game... left or right you can't make em all happy

I think this would be a great idea too. It seems many of the latest MMORPGs that have come out have been adding multiple levels of difficulty to their content that you can select. Of course Rift started out with the standard and epic versions of dungeons, but that only applies to high level players.

Since most of the current content is the journey to 50 it would be nice to have a difficulty scale for all current content for all levels.

Not easy obviously, but suggestions are suggestions, not immediate demands.

I've said this plenty of times.
    Good idea to me.
    You like challenge...? Scroll it all the way up.
    What I eat doesnt make you......*
    Why do you care about what Im doing?

*Thanks RiftMods, i'm sure that my sig was just getting under your skin that you had to bother me...why dont you run along and bother some trolls in those threads?

Default Trol

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    They have? ^.-
    You tend to like trolling, don't you?
    No matter how dark the night, morning always comes. And our journey begins anew...

Games like DDO basically have a difficulty slider (you have like 5 options of difficulty when you enter) your loot is then based on the difficulty selected. Anarchy online did this too. Thing is, the DDO loot system prolly makes this pretty easy because alot of the loot follows the whole "of the fortress, of the bandit" diable style random generated items (Except it was Cold iron Flaming Heavy mace +1). They do have unique items as well, and honestly i can't remember how they handled those on the various degreees of difficulty, i think they just made them unavailable if you picked to easy, where as others were a quest reward regardless of difficulty.

They also had EXP bonuses for completing on higher difficulties...as you could pick you difficulty on every singel dungeon, whether it was lvl 3 or 15.
    <The League of Monster Slayers>

Soulwalker

I want a slider for difficulty/reward. It is a great idea. It also needs to be able to go to 11.

why not just keep the same drops... just have it scale as the dungeons scales... same drops only better stats with harder levels...

Quote Originally Posted by Over My Head View Post
    No. What would give you that idea? because I disagree'd with someone? Oh gawd call the cops.

That's a good idea, but instead of a slider what about a star system, dungeons have 4-5 star rankings that can be chosen to set their difficulty, that way it could easily be voted on by the group and there would be more definitive levels of difficulty instead of an infinite number of points on a slider.

Quote Originally Posted by Over My Head View Post
    it's not trolling... it's disagreeing and asking for a counter example. What has Rift done that has never been in an MMO? Other than the specific lore, and specific items* I can't think of anything.

*even though the specific items may be unique, they're not different enough to be called "a feature that has never been seen in an MMO"
    Last edited by Jaya; 05-16-2011 at 11:37 AM.
    Jaya
    Tertian of the <Children of Mechanus>
    Kaleida (Defiant)

Quote Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
    it's not trolling... what has Rift done that has never been in an MMO? Other than the specific lore, and specific items* I can't think of anything.

*even though the specific items may be unique, they're not different enough to be called "a feature that has never been seen in an MMO"
    I think that logic might be "over his head" lawl.

Quote Originally Posted by Borjoyzee View Post
    I am sad about changes. And I come with idea. Nothing original, but why not?

1.) Normal dungeons for all levels (as they are now as normals)

change now

2.) Normal 50lvl dungeons (todays experts dungeons) - 1 plague per boss. No epic drop from trah or boss.
    3.) Expert dungeons (high difficulty, more trash, unforgiving, trash tactic etc.) - 2-3 plague per boss. A small chance to drop epic item (exlusive, maybe slightly changed model). From trash or bosses. !!BUT must be better then buyable gear!! (very important thing).

Now everyone should be happy "casuals" see content. And harcore get something extra. Everyone is happy.

And another thing. It is someting like normal and HC raid from WoW. But this model should NEVER touch raids.... NEVER.
    I typed something similar...

+ Reply to Thread