+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
Results 121 to 135 of 135

Thread: Why have 2 factions on a PvE server.. Really?

  1. #121
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rydeson View Post
    WoW.. you must be new to the MMO genre.. Who said anything about seperate shards (servers) for Defiant and Guardian. I didn't.. and you wouldn't.. You could keep everything on the PvE shards as is, with the exception of allowing both sides to group with each other for any reason.. WoW was the first MMO I played that forced separation between the players.. I personally think that is a stupid IDEA, unless your intent is to promote PvP..
    Remember that the tiile is why have 2 factions on a PvE server? If you read the OP it seems to say that he/she is wanting to have only one faction on a PvE server.

    What is the only way to keep one faction on a PvE server? That would mean that the other faction either A.) Does not exists, which would not be fair because for those that want to be that faction would have to roll on a PvP server. B.) Have half of the PvE shards for Guardian and the other for Defiant. This way would be better, because some do not like PvP so if A were true then the only way to play the other faction is to roll on a PvP server. Which some players would hate.

  2. #122
    Prophet of Telara Erszebet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rydeson View Post
    Ha Ha.. YOU were the one to make the claim you like separate factions in a PvE game.... Please explain how Rifts current 2 faction set up HELPS the game.. As I said, the limited PvP action was NOT worth the trade off..
    Your argument wouldn't be soo strawman if Rift never offered PvP. Since it does, what are you even talking about? Oh, it wasn't worth it to you cause you say so. I love it when people present their opinions as facts. My opinion is that more than one faction in any game wether it be a FPS, RTS, RPG, ect. adds depth to the game.

  3. #123
    Prophet of Telara Erszebet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fedise View Post
    I don't think there is an argument against that ^ The only reason to have two completely separate factions is for the sake of pvp which is limited at best.
    Right, because you don't appreciate the storyline of the game so why should anyone else? PvP must be limited in this game cause you say so. Did I mention that I really love factoids?

    "Oh I could tell you why the ocean meets the shore. I'd think of things I never thought before and then I'd sit,.. and think some more!"

  4. #124
    Rift Chaser ShinEmperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Montreal,QC,Canada
    Posts
    371

    Default

    To OP: I think a "dynamic world" means that is flows and grows.. changes and moves. Whether it be the lore, the Rfits themselves or allegiances. I don't think merging factions is a good idea.. because let's face it, it WOULD destroy the lore a bit.. However, I would support cross faction grouping and guilding. For no other reason than that it makes sense.

    Players, like people in the real world, should be entitled to "opt out" of the Guardian/Defiant conflict. In a more definite way... Allow players to opt of out of ALL pvp, in exchange, they would be allowed to group with either side in PvE content. OF course, only allow this on a PvE server. But the way I see it, there is HUGE potential. Economies would be more competitive. More alts (IE more player activity) a larger player pool to choose from for LFD and Raiding and Guilds. The negative? Fewer people opting into PvP (which wouldn't matter on a PvE server if the option were PvE only anyways.) I think MMO's in general need to rethink the whole "Red vs Blue" we see a lot in gaming... and stop pigeon holing players into one faction or another and instead offer some choice.

    /my two silver
    Last edited by ShinEmperor; 05-15-2011 at 06:37 PM.

  5. #125
    Rift Disciple icywind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    159

    Default

    Thats because cosplay is FUNNNN!
    Next time u whack a NPC, please start typing in 'DIE YOU MONSTER!!'

    or if you attracted too many mobs, please also start typing "HELP ME!! HELP~~!!!!"
    Last edited by icywind; 05-15-2011 at 06:59 PM.

  6. #126
    Rift Master nacho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    678

    Default

    The two faction thing is deeply flawed. For every pro there's 3 cons.
    But they seem easier to develop, so I assume we're going to continue to see it until companies put the effort in creating a mainstream game without factions.
    Number #31,038 thing that UO got right

  7. #127
    Rift Disciple
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nacho View Post
    The two faction thing is deeply flawed. For every pro there's 3 cons.
    But they seem easier to develop, so I assume we're going to continue to see it until companies put the effort in creating a mainstream game without factions.
    Number #31,038 thing that UO got right
    this
    10charlimit

  8. #128
    Prophet of Telara Erszebet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1,013

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nacho View Post
    The two faction thing is deeply flawed.
    According to you? Yet another opinion presented as fact.

  9. #129
    Ascendant Galibier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    10,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rydeson View Post
    I know the lore and story says you need to have 2 sides.. Which is arguable why is was designed that way to begin with.. This game's primary focus is PvE, not

    Because there is actual world PvP on PvE servers. Faeblight has more than a little organized world PvP. Sorry we think it is a fun diversion. Also it would possibly cause issues with Warfronts, needing to have two different sets of code to allow and disallow targeting of the other faction.

  10. #130
    Rift Master nacho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Erszebet View Post
    According to you? Yet another opinion presented as fact.
    According to my (and most) shards with a 25-75 population split on an already-spread-thin medium population server. If you're on one of the 3 shards with a healthy guardian population, then I'm envious.
    Last edited by nacho; 05-15-2011 at 07:53 PM.

  11. #131
    Ascendant
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,485

    Default

    I'd never play on a PVE server, so that it for what it's worth ( but not going to troll, promise! )... But even if people on PVE servers don't want ganks, world pvp and all that stuff... wouldn't it be better if they could compete in a non-violent way, anyway? First to do X quest, first to kill Y boss... ( faction wise, I mean ).

    Sure you can compete guild vs guild, but you're still allies, it's not the same. If your tank is not there, you might take a friend tank from the other guild.

    But guardians VS defiants, now that's a competition, a challenge.
    In pvp, it's all about who destroy the other faction's face.
    In PVE, it could just be who gets everything done before the ennemy faction.

    Some server's pop are low, but you don't fix this SUPER easy to fix problem by destroying 2 factions, a concept that is good for the game and the lore...
    You fix it by merging servers.

    That's just like saying "There's no one on X server, so there's nothing to buy on the AH... NPC's should put stuff on the AH".

  12. #132
    Rift Chaser ShinEmperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Montreal,QC,Canada
    Posts
    371

    Default

    For me, the larger issue is that it takes a real leap of faith to agree with the "two faction rule". For one, it assumes EVERY single player of faction X WANTS to COMPETE AGAINST faction y. Which is such a ridiculous assumption. There are several safe generalizations we can make. The reason the two faction system is flawed is that not every player wants to compete. Whether it be directly (open world pvp or warfronts) or indirectly (Shard first raid kills). Some players just want to enjoy the game without the competition. Without being force fed the need to compete all the time. Some people just want to log in, and play with the largest pool of players they can. I'm one of those people. Warfronts aren't entertaining to me, open world Pvp isn't my idea of a good time (I'm not knocking it, just stating a preference) and I would honestly just like to group with ANYONE to experience then content the game has. (Rifts, Raids and Dungeons)

    The problem with the two faction system for me, is that... well.. it needlessly segregates the community. For a game, touting that it's soo dynamic and full of choice.. you'd think they would finally do away with silly things like faction restrictions.

  13. #133
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    45

    Default

    I want to add to this thread, that being able to play together even ON PvP servers would be interesting. For example, if you are doing a random dungeon, assumedly the two sides would be smart enough to work together on these common goals. When not doing dungeons, it would be interesting if elites and powerful enemies could be partied and teamed up against with the other faction as well. On PvP servers, it would be interesting if as soon as the party "broke" you would have the option to attack the other party, keeping that feeling of unease alive and causing you to make a decision whether it was worth partying with somebody who could easily stab you in the back or not.

    And then as soon as you go your seperate ways and go back into those warfronts, it's on again.

    Alsbeth, for example, is an obvious enemy of both factions, and powerful enough that both factions would be able to team up in a tenuous peace to fight her. Once she is dead, however, it's fair to assume they have lost a common enemy and would go back to bickering over anything and everything.

  14. #134
    Prophet of Telara Vexille's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by somerandomnamee View Post
    I'd never play on a PVE server, so that it for what it's worth ( but not going to troll, promise! )... But even if people on PVE servers don't want ganks, world pvp and all that stuff... wouldn't it be better if they could compete in a non-violent way, anyway? First to do X quest, first to kill Y boss... ( faction wise, I mean ).

    Sure you can compete guild vs guild, but you're still allies, it's not the same. If your tank is not there, you might take a friend tank from the other guild.

    But guardians VS defiants, now that's a competition, a challenge.
    In pvp, it's all about who destroy the other faction's face.
    In PVE, it could just be who gets everything done before the ennemy faction.

    Some server's pop are low, but you don't fix this SUPER easy to fix problem by destroying 2 factions, a concept that is good for the game and the lore...
    You fix it by merging servers.

    That's just like saying "There's no one on X server, so there's nothing to buy on the AH... NPC's should put stuff on the AH".
    A big "NO" to "faction" based content.

    It's just an easy excuse for game devs to create pointless, fluff time-sinks instead of real content. Look no further than WoW's awful "Reputation" system.

    If someone would implement a REAL faction system, like EQ had, then I might be interested.

    One where killing 1 faction directly impacted 1, sometimes many, other factions and your standing with those dictated where you could go and what you could do.

  15. #135
    Rift Disciple Bremen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    129

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Salganar View Post
    Another server merge thread disguised as something else. There are plenty of these dead horses already - and freshly dead today. You could have easily posted this opinion in any of a dozen other threads - and probably did.
    /vote for phrase "freshly dead today" as phrase of the month.

    ++ rank up
    Triumvirate Guild (Alsbeth): http://www.xabis.com/dkp/
    Interested in being the best, equipping our players, building community, and having fun.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts