+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Click here to go to the first Rift Team post in this thread.   Thread: @currency spam

I'd be happy if the report spam option ignored accounts. that might end up cut it down a bit for active reporters if many of the characters are rerolls and not a mass of varied accounts (which it may be).

Also someone mentioned the tutorial chat option, that could be nice but 1-9 being universal was setup in part (if i remember correctly) for higher level players to be encouraged to help newbies (I actually join 1-9 and 10-19 in case someone has a question). I've been wondering though if it might just be better to return to 1-9 being dropped when you hit level 10. This would cause the channel to primarily be used by 1-9s and occasional helpful higher levels. this would seem a much less tempting target than an almost global chat channel. This is hardly perfect as it still leaves new players not having a direct line to more experienced players unless they actively choose to help. Perhaps leaving 1-9 on for those in 10-19 bracket too might help, as they've played a bit more so you leave 1-9 and 10-19 at level 20 unless you choose to stay in them.

Any way just sleepy rambling and ideas. Wish you the best of luck Trion dealing with these massive plains in everyone's bacskides. I have faith that together with the community's ideas you can find a way to further reduce the plat spammers that will work well. Who knows maybe someday (in some parallel world) we might see a day where there are no more plat spammers in rift...

Last edited by JugglingFool04; 05-12-2011 at 09:36 PM.
    * Iím trapped under a huge pile of patch notes! Send help!
    * Werewolves can now be Butchered.
    * The ĎIím Stuckí button will stop getting stuck after 24 hours has passed. The irony of this is not lost on us, either.
    * Death Rift: Eternal Souls: You know that dragon that had wings but liked to walk a lot? He flies now!
    * Major zone events should fire off more often and the mythical purple zone event currencies should rain from the sky! Okay, maybe not rain - but they'll be more common than they have been recently.

2.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #47

Quote Originally Posted by JugglingFool04 View Post
    I've been wondering though if it might just be better to return to 1-9 being dropped when you hit level 10.
    That's the intended behavior. However, there have been at least a couple bugs I've fixed that would put you back in 1-9. As far as I'm aware, they're all fixed now?

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMorin View Post
    They use throwaway accounts (broken into account, fraudulent payment, trial, etc.) and often access them via proxies. So going after individual accounts or IP addresses isn't very effective.

We've done a lot with the spam filter recently (you've probably noticed the weird text if you've been in one of the channels that gets more spam traffic), but this continues to be a back and forth battle and probably will be as long as Rift is successful.
    I've been playing Lotro on a European server since launch. They too once had a problem with gold sellers but I haven't seen a single gold selling spam message for about two years now since they started to take the issue seriously.

If I recall correctly, Codemasters:

1. Now prevent all access from Asian IP addresses except from prearranged ones that people working abroad notify them of on an individual basis.

2. No longer allow new users to send mail, tells or other messages until they complete the new user area on their first character... about 30 - 60 minutes of gameplay.

3. Installed aggressive chat channel filters that prevent known web address being posted even if disguised.

4. Installed bot monitoring software to catch automated scripts.

5 Employed a real person to actively investigate suspected gold farming activities and large in game currency transactions. Hundreds of accounts were caught and permanently banned.

Maybe others things too. Whatever they did, it worked so it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Sez View Post
    Thank you for activating your forums account for this nugget of wisdom.
    ^
    Why don't you just customize the chat window. Some of these threads are so useless.

Quote Originally Posted by brucer View Post
    pretty sure trion could do something if they wanted to... ive never seen so much spam in a game, well except when rift launched..
    Two words. Spam filter.

It works in EQ I don't see why Trion can't implement something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianMorin View Post
    That's the intended behavior. However, there have been at least a couple bugs I've fixed that would put you back in 1-9. As far as I'm aware, they're all fixed now?
    Good to know that actually got fixed. I remember when it was said to be changed back and alot of people started claiming 1-9 was still global including some rather heated arguments on my shard at times (I'm assuming due to the bugs keeping them in it) and trying to sell level 50 gear and look for groups for high level runs. I've noticed a decline in this sort of thing between the LFG system and probably the bugs you mentioned being fixed. Hopefully 1-9 will eventually stop being considered a global chat by the community but that sounds like our problem more than yours and will probably work its self out.

As I'd mentioned I stay in 1-9 anyway so I haven't been paying that much attention to it being automatic or not for me (though I believe it's always worked right for me, autoleaving 1-9 like it should).
    * The ĎIím Stuckí button will stop getting stuck after 24 hours has passed. The irony of this is not lost on us, either.
    * Death Rift: Eternal Souls: You know that dragon that had wings but liked to walk a lot? He flies now!
    * Major zone events should fire off more often and the mythical purple zone event currencies should rain from the sky! Okay, maybe not rain - but they'll be more common than they have been recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlice View Post
    Two words. Spam filter.

It works in EQ I don't see why Trion can't implement something similar.
    lol ever noticed how strange the plat spammers' messages are? All jumbled with weird sayings and lots of symbols and oddly laid out. That's because Trion does have a spam filter. It's still new so right now there are ways they've been finding to bypass it since it's still learning and being improved. These weird messages are one of the ways they've been bypassing it currently and why they keep changing every few days as the filter starts picking out their old ones and getting better.
    Last edited by JugglingFool04; 05-12-2011 at 10:27 PM.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by TGWarlock View Post
    And do what?

Spammers use throw-away/hacked accounts. If it gets baned, they just get a new one.

As long as gold/plat/credit/what-ever selling is profitable (and right now it is the most profitable industry on the planet) there will be spammers.

Report/ignore spammers as you can. Yes, it's only temporary, but what wlse can be done?
    Really?

Think Exxon Mobil, UAL, and Citigroup would like a word with you.

Quote Originally Posted by acewings View Post
    I've got to bring it to the attention of Trion: The currency spam in this game is ridiculous. They've got to do something FAST before this becomes like WoW where everyone uses the wrong chats. Trion really needs to deal with it now before it gets even more out of hand. Comeon Trion, set the precident and come down on spammers hard.
    the spam in this game is not any worse( better than most at some times) just be glad they implemented coinlock... probably the best feature any mmo has ever implemented
    I am not healing at the moment because I don't want to, you suck becuase you have to. At least I have a choice.

Plane Touched

Quote Originally Posted by Sour View Post
    I've been seeing spammers that seem to no longer exist when I've reported them immediately. If Trion would give me the job, I'd make spammers lives a living heck and here's just a part of my eville plan-

1. petition Trion to make musical instruments that we can actually play
    2. pick the worst sounding ones- tuba, accordian, or tubaccordian
    3. find the spammer login/spawn point
    4. play loudly and badly- right on top of em
    5. invite people to come and do the same

and that's just a small part of my eeeeville plan as I'd have other things to do while waiting for my tubaccordian.
    Darn that mute button!!!

Soulwalker

As long as companies like Trion allow asian countries access to western servers there will never be an end to the spam. If Trion did not want to deal with the spam then they would not have allowed asian countries (who are notorious for selling virtual goods) access to western servers.

Argue this all you want, but it doesn't make it any less true...
    Last edited by tinkerbell2011; 05-12-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by Kralon View Post
    And there is no legal way. Even Blizzard still has tons of spammers even after successfully suing a company..
    That law suit was nothing at all to do with RMT, you clearly have no idea.

Ascendant

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell2011 View Post
    As long as companies like Trion allow asian countries access to western servers there will never be an end to the spam. If Trion did not want to deal with the spam then they would not have allowed asian countries (who are notorious for selling virtual goods) access to western servers.

Argue this all you want, but it doesn't make it any less true...
    Another one who's clueless about how the internet works and ignorant of the fact that much RMT activity is US-based.

Quote Originally Posted by Troster View Post
    I've been playing Lotro on a European server since launch. They too once had a problem with gold sellers but I haven't seen a single gold selling spam message for about two years now since they started to take the issue seriously.

If I recall correctly, Codemasters:

1. Now prevent all access from Asian IP addresses except from prearranged ones that people working abroad notify them of on an individual basis.

2. No longer allow new users to send mail, tells or other messages until they complete the new user area on their first character... about 30 - 60 minutes of gameplay.

3. Installed aggressive chat channel filters that prevent known web address being posted even if disguised.

4. Installed bot monitoring software to catch automated scripts.

5 Employed a real person to actively investigate suspected gold farming activities and large in game currency transactions. Hundreds of accounts were caught and permanently banned.

Maybe others things too. Whatever they did, it worked so it can be done.
    This^. One thing they got right and they got it 100% right. I honestly never saw one single spam, /tell or botter.

Quote Originally Posted by View Post
    You obviously know nothing about Laethys, have you tried him?
    I don't log in anymore.

15.   Click here to go to the next Rift Team post in this thread.   #60

Re: Why does XYZ game not have this problem, but Rift does?

While I agree there is more we can do on our end here, there is also a demand side to this. A big one is how is the economy is laid out. A 3rd party can't compete with the efficiency of a SQL query. Even if they're not directly selling coin, they could be selling stuff that can be traded for coin or would otherwise be purchased with coin. Also, how big is their player base and how fat/loose are their wallets? Plus probably a bunch of other factors that feed into how determined someone is to get their advertising into the game.
    Last edited by BrianMorin; 05-12-2011 at 11:53 PM. Reason: grammar

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast