+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Problem with LFD and Ignore...

Unhappy Problem with LFD and Ignore...

There is some theory-crafting here...

With this announcement being on a ignore list becomes much more serious...

LOOKING FOR GROUP
    * Players vote-kicked from an LFG group will be prevented from being picked again for re-queues by that group for 15 minutes. Players put on ignore will not be selected for your group ever.
    * Players waiting for a group through LFG cannot be joined via public grouping or group merging while in the queue. Players in the LFG queue will drop out of it if they choose to join a public group or invite others into their group themselves.
    * If a player has to leave an LFG group mid-dungeon, the group leader will have the option to use the LFG tool to automatically search for a replacement to continue the instance.
    I underlined the important part.

People have had their accounts hacked or stolen and those accounts are used by Plat sellers. Naturally good people use the "Report Spam" feature and the accounts get banned. Maybe the original owner may get his account back; if so then he will find himself in a dilemma.

He will not be able to talk to people and if he uses the LFD tool, he will never get invited into a group since almost everyone will have 'ignored' him. This may not have been his fault and the account restored, but the unexpected consequence is that grouping becomes impossible.

I am not sure what can be done about this but I just wanted to bring this potential problem to light; it is bad enough to get your account hacked then to top it off, you cannot do anything in the game with those characters since they are ignored by everyone almost.

Really a double whammy when you are down.
    I don't like mean people, rude people and people who are not nice.

Herp Derp : 1. An expression used when you yourself, has done somthing extremely stupid and dopey. 2. A phrase said by idiotic morons who think they are cooler then they actually are. *Dictionary definition

I can only feel that they are responsible for their accounts. While getting your account hacked is horrible, it is the players responsibility to be wary of things like...

Ad Sites on Google: Don't click the highlighted choices that pop up at the top of your google screen.

Unknown E-Mails: You know who you correspond with.

Stay off the Adult Sites: Seriously, you're trusting them to stream to your computer?

Don't use the same password for everything: Also don't make it easy. They most likely already have your E-mail address, all they need is a little info on you to find what you like.

Don't log into the forums from a computer that you have no idea whether or not it could contain a Keylogger.

Trion has done well IMO with the coinlock and Authenticator, but if you don't even Try to protect yourself then there is nothing anybody else can really do.

Edit: I personally applaud the ignore list from allowing the ignored into your LFD group. People get ignored for a reason.
    Last edited by Demonne; 05-09-2011 at 02:09 PM.

Telaran

Yea, I have to agree, if someone's on my ignore list, then I put them there for a reason. If it happened to be someone's account that got hacked, sorry, not my problem that's how you ended up there.

Prophet of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Delphya View Post
    There is some theory-crafting here...

With this announcement being on a ignore list becomes much more serious...

I underlined the important part.

People have had their accounts hacked or stolen and those accounts are used by Plat sellers. Naturally good people use the "Report Spam" feature and the accounts get banned. Maybe the original owner may get his account back; if so then he will find himself in a dilemma.

He will not be able to talk to people and if he uses the LFD tool, he will never get invited into a group since almost everyone will have 'ignored' him. This may not have been his fault and the account restored, but the unexpected consequence is that grouping becomes impossible.

I am not sure what can be done about this but I just wanted to bring this potential problem to light; it is bad enough to get your account hacked then to top it off, you cannot do anything in the game with those characters since they are ignored by everyone almost.

Really a double whammy when you are down.
    Easy solution, or at least... temporary solution, if you were hacked, and are on ignore lists, post on the Realm forums, and ask that others who visit them return your name to good standing with their friends, and guildies. Think of it as a community building exercise. Problem sorta temporarily solved? Maybe...
    Daishiki
    Deepwood :: Eth Warrior :: "It's Swahili... for something..."
    Scrunt
    Wolfsbane :: Dwarf Warrior :: "I will tank it, or spank it... especially if she's good lookin'!"

Quote Originally Posted by Demonne View Post
    I can only feel that they are responsible for their accounts. While getting your account hacked is horrible, it is the players responsibility to be wary of things like...

Ad Sites on Google: Don't click the highlighted choices that pop up at the top of your google screen.

Unknown E-Mails: You know who you correspond with.

Stay off the Adult Sites: Seriously, you're trusting them to stream to your computer?

Don't use the same password for everything: Also don't make it easy. They most likely already have your E-mail address, all they need is a little info on you to find what you like.

Don't log into the forums from a computer that you have no idea whether or not it could contain a Keylogger.

Trion has done well IMO with the coinlock and Authenticator, but if you don't even Try to protect yourself then there is nothing anybody else can really do.

Edit: I personally applaud the ignore list from allowing the ignored into your LFD group. People get ignored for a reason.
    Except that we all know the hacked accounts were Trions fault, and no security measure the player could have taken would have protected them.

I usually clear my ignore list every week. If it was a spammer, they will probably be banned by now. If it was someone trolling, they will porbably be banned, or have recieved enough warning to clean up their act, and if they haven't I can always put them back on. If it was because of a conflict of interests, water under the bridge. If it was a bad player, I keep a list next to my keyboard who I will never play with again.
    Last edited by Sinndel; 05-09-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Plane Touched

I really don't think this will be an issue. You can tell by the names of the gold-spammers that they are throw-away toons. And for those that are hijacked accounts, well I tend to agree with others that it is their problem.

General of Telara

And they have finally made it so you can't chat in public channels when hacked, funny thing?

I suggested this to Trion a while ago and explained this same problem, so now they finally listened to reason, it's my time to say...

I TOLD YOU SO!

Sorry, but couldn't resist it ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Demonne View Post

Seriously though, it depends on WHICH adult site you are streaming from. If you are using Frostwire or a torrent of some sort; you are asking for it. If you have decent anti-virus (like Kaspersky), then it will catch any attempts at streaming a key logger or virus onto your computer.
    Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

I understand the issue the OP is proposing, but I'm afraid I don't see it as a problem.
    Fare thee well
    Let your life proceed by its own design
    Nothing to tell
    Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine.

People who are on the whole server's ignore list because they got hacked and used as a spambot is a tiny tiny fraction of the ignored people.

Most people get ignored because they act like jerks. It's really important to me that if I meet someone and they act like someone I'd never want to meet again then I have the facility to do so. I've always organised a lot of pugs in every game I played and for sanity's sake you need to exclude people who you really can't stand if you're arranging content for masses of players.

If Trion hamstring the ignore list you'll get a lot less pug raids as people putting together the raids need to be able to exclude the people who troll, ninja or take advantage.
    Guild Leader of Serenity on Bloodiron EU PvP
    I blog at http://stabbedup.blogspot.com/

Telaran

On a side note, I certainly hope if they ever allow name changes, that you are still kept on people's ignore lists with the new name. Would hate for certain people to get into my group 'cause they changed their name (though I'm sure they'd end up on the ignore list pretty quickly after that).

Soulwalker

This is such an uncommon almost positively non-existent issue. Seems like no matter what good feature Trion adds to the game someone will find a HUGE problem with.

realmforum would be the way to go. or let a guildmate announce it on /4 in the worst case.

Quote Originally Posted by Xzaral View Post
    On a side note, I certainly hope if they ever allow name changes, that you are still kept on people's ignore lists with the new name. Would hate for certain people to get into my group 'cause they changed their name (though I'm sure they'd end up on the ignore list pretty quickly after that).
    it's usually done per unique character id. saving the real string for the list leads to real strange problems (have games seen it done. urgh).

Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    Except that we all know the hacked accounts were Trions fault, and no security measure the player could have taken would have protected them.
    then there must be a security issue in every mmo, because ppl get hacked there as well

Rift Disciple

I wish they would make it so if you ignore someone you ignore their whole dang account. I put folks on my ignore list because I want to ignore the person behind that keyboard, not just "that character".

Being rude, obnoxious, crude, ill-mannered, hateful, racist, sexist, etc... should have consequences in a publicly broadcasted community if it offends others.

And if I have made it on others ignore lists then I have no one to blame or complain to but myself.

Although I can understand the point the OP made about the hacked accounts I believe that it is better to have a "strong feature" like Trion appears to be putting into our hands with the ignore list thing with the LFG tool versus not giving us that tool because we might leave some very small minority out in the cold.

It would suck to be in their shoes but if I was hacked and was concerned about this, I would reroll a main toon. Yes, excessive but I would do what I could to fix my own problem within the confines of the system and enjoy the new tool being made public.
    Last edited by Allurana; 05-09-2011 at 04:20 PM.

General of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Allurana View Post
    I wish they would make it so if you ignore someone you ignore their whole dang account. I put folks on my ignore list because I want to ignore the person behind that keyboard, not just "that character".

It would suck to be in their shoes but if I was hacked and was concerned about this, I would reroll a main toon. Yes, excessive but I would do what I could to fix my own problem within the confines of the system and enjoy the new tool being made public.
    There is a bit of a disconnect between the first part of your post and the last part. Your fix to your problem would not work if your account was ignored.
    Isz on other, unreleased MMOs :

"Enjoy buying another $60 box for forum access to the next thing to complain about"
    About right, ayuh.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast