+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 48

Thread: Problem with LFD and Ignore...

  1. #31
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gnova View Post
    Being put onto ignore list now encourages better behavior in chat channels and in groups since if people start ignoring you then you may have trouble getting groups. If you ninja loot something and it gets discussed in chat channels there is a good chance you will end up on a lot of lists.
    I understand the concept. I'm a bit worried it may be a double edged sword, so I'm going to use my ignore list selectively in the beginning. Why?

    Let's say there is you, me and three others we'll call Tom, **** and Harry. (And I suspect my 4th will be **** so let's call him Richard then)

    You have Treras on ignore. Treras, Tom, Richard and Harry don't have each-other on ignore. Who is going to end up without the group?

    Certainly not Treras.
    Isz on other, unreleased MMOs :

    "Enjoy buying another $60 box for forum access to the next thing to complain about"
    About right, ayuh.

  2. #32
    Ascendant Jaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Allurana View Post
    I played EQ and EQ2 for around 10 years solid and then moved to WOW for a little over a year before coming here. I could not believe the stark contrast in community and use of the trade channel in WOW. The endless verbal abuse, rudeness and the childishness of linking an item and putting an anatomical word next to it in WOW was shocking.
    Yes you never saw that behavior in EQ... no one ever linked [pot] [smoker] or the like out to general chat channels in EQ.
    </sarcasm>
    Last edited by Jaya; 05-10-2011 at 06:31 AM.

  3. #33
    Ascendant Jaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,298

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Licentia View Post
    The ignore from the "Report Spam" is temporary. It only persists until you log out on the character that you were on when you used the feature. It's not the same as explicitly typing /ignore <playername>.

    So no, if you've used Report Spam to deal with a gold spammer who used a hacked account to log in and try to market their wares, when the legit player regains control of their account they'll be fine.
    I'm pretty sure that's not correct... that's the behavior that you get in wow, but not in rift.

  4. #34
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Treras View Post
    I understand the concept. I'm a bit worried it may be a double edged sword, so I'm going to use my ignore list selectively in the beginning. Why?

    Let's say there is you, me and three others we'll call Tom, **** and Harry. (And I suspect my 4th will be **** so let's call him Richard then)

    You have Treras on ignore. Treras, Tom, Richard and Harry don't have each-other on ignore. Who is going to end up without the group?

    Certainly not Treras.
    Unless it so happens that Tom, Richard, Harry and myself are already in a group, and Treras just queued up.

  5. #35
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    Unless it so happens that Tom, Richard, Harry and myself are already in a group, and Treras just queued up.
    I understood you could not queue up as a group. It will be interesting to see what the match-making algorithm does though. Let's say it has Tom, Richard, Harry and Sindel as a tentative group and Treras comes in ready to Tank. There is already a pool of some 50 DPS waiting

    Will it drop Sindel as she has somebody on ignore while nobody else has and drop another DPS in so the group can actually form?

    Or can one player's /ignore block the formation of a group?
    Isz on other, unreleased MMOs :

    "Enjoy buying another $60 box for forum access to the next thing to complain about"
    About right, ayuh.

  6. #36
    Rift Disciple Jolly Roger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reciprocity View Post
    Seriously though, it depends on WHICH adult site you are streaming from. If you are using Frostwire or a torrent of some sort; you are asking for it. If you have decent anti-virus (like Kaspersky), then it will catch any attempts at streaming a key logger or virus onto your computer.
    I bet you have big forearms.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lmaoboat View Post
    But one can PvP and RP!
    "Continue to weep, novice! Art thou irate that I have smote you? Watch helplessly as my loins defile your visage!"

  7. #37
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Treras View Post
    I understood you could not queue up as a group. It will be interesting to see what the match-making algorithm does though. Let's say it has Tom, Richard, Harry and Sindel as a tentative group and Treras comes in ready to Tank. There is already a pool of some 50 DPS waiting

    Will it drop Sindel as she has somebody on ignore while nobody else has and drop another DPS in so the group can actually form?

    Or can one player's /ignore block the formation of a group?
    That would be a pretty ******ed thing to do. Penalyze someone for blocking a troll and award the person who was being a troll.

  8. #38
    Shadowlander
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Demonne View Post
    I can only feel that they are responsible for their accounts. While getting your account hacked is horrible, it is the players responsibility to be wary of things like...

    Ad Sites on Google: Don't click the highlighted choices that pop up at the top of your google screen.

    Unknown E-Mails: You know who you correspond with.

    Stay off the Adult Sites: Seriously, you're trusting them to stream to your computer?

    Don't use the same password for everything: Also don't make it easy. They most likely already have your E-mail address, all they need is a little info on you to find what you like.

    Don't log into the forums from a computer that you have no idea whether or not it could contain a Keylogger.

    Trion has done well IMO with the coinlock and Authenticator, but if you don't even Try to protect yourself then there is nothing anybody else can really do.

    Edit: I personally applaud the ignore list from allowing the ignored into your LFD group. People get ignored for a reason.


    ......Are you joking? Do you have any idea why the people were getting hacked in the first place? It was on Trion's end, dip****.
    2x 50 Clerics | Shatterbone
    50 Mage | Rocklift

    Re-Roll : Rogue | Briarcliff |

  9. #39
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    That would be a pretty ******ed thing to do. Penalyze someone for blocking a troll and award the person who was being a troll.
    No, it makes sense. A good match-making algorithm should optimise what it could do and place people together that can actually form a group. The other 3 players did not consider Treras to be a troll, thus a group for them could be formed.
    Isz on other, unreleased MMOs :

    "Enjoy buying another $60 box for forum access to the next thing to complain about"
    About right, ayuh.

  10. #40
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Treras View Post
    No, it makes sense. A good match-making algorithm should optimise what it could do and place people together that can actually form a group. The other 3 players did not consider Treras to be a troll, thus a group for them could be formed.
    It makes sense from a mathematical perspective, but not from a human one. Is the person with a block list morally wrong for blocking someone who was annoying them? If so why does a block list exist at all? Why should they be punished for the other persons actions?

    Also, just pointing out that the other 3 players may have never interacted with the hypothetical Treras Troll so they don't have them blocked, it's not necessarily indicative that they don't consider him a troll if they haven't considered him at all.

  11. #41
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    Also, just pointing out that the other 3 players may have never interacted with the hypothetical Treras Troll so they don't have them blocked, it's not necessarily indicative that they don't consider him a troll if they haven't considered him at all.
    Potentially true. But considering the human factor:

    1. Hypothetical Sindel may be thin skinned and /ignored Hypothetical Treras for what others would not consider trolling.

    2. Matchmaking based off Hypothetical Sindel's ignore list punishes 3 other players (4 if you include Treras) by making their group formation take longer.

    It is certainly an interesting scenario. I wonder if Trion will publish how their system actually works.
    Isz on other, unreleased MMOs :

    "Enjoy buying another $60 box for forum access to the next thing to complain about"
    About right, ayuh.

  12. #42
    Plane Walker Stabsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    Is the person with a block list morally wrong for blocking someone who was annoying them?
    Generally speaking if I REALLY do not like Frank I don't want to be auto-added to a group containing Frank Bob and Sue even if Bob and Sue are lovely people.

    I don't think there's much of a downside to not being grouped with people you tell the system you never ever want to have any interaction with ever again.

    On the other hand if you ignore pretty much anyone who speaks in chat channels then yes, you might want to clear your ignore list if you're having long queue times.
    Guild Leader of Serenity on Bloodiron EU PvP
    I blog at http://stabbedup.blogspot.com/

  13. #43
    Ascendant Sinndel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    4,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stabsy View Post
    Generally speaking if I REALLY do not like Frank I don't want to be auto-added to a group containing Frank Bob and Sue even if Bob and Sue are lovely people.

    I don't think there's much of a downside to not being grouped with people you tell the system you never ever want to have any interaction with ever again.

    On the other hand if you ignore pretty much anyone who speaks in chat channels then yes, you might want to clear your ignore list if you're having long queue times.
    You've misunderstood. We were talking about how you really don't like Frank, got added to a group with Bob and Sue (you like them) but then Frank queus, has no one blocked, so it kicks you and adds Frank to the group with Bob and Sue, and fills your spot with generic replacement number 38.

    THAT's the situation that I'm saying is silly. Frank probably pissed you off, but you were there first, regardless of who's thin skinned or annoying, you shouldn't be punished.
    Last edited by Sinndel; 05-10-2011 at 04:27 PM.

  14. #44
    General of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sinndel View Post
    You've misunderstood. We were talking about how you really don't like Frank, got added to a group with Bob and Sue (you like them) but then Frank queus, has no one blocked, so it kicks you and adds Frank to the group with Bob and Sue, and fills your spot with generic replacement number 38.

    THAT's the situation that I'm saying is silly. Frank probably pissed you off, but you were there first, regardless of who's thin skinned or annoying, you shouldn't be punished.
    Not entirely what we were discussing, but close. My understanding is we were speculating on which point the slots in a group gets fixed and how that would be affected by an ignore.

    Option 1
    Immediate allocation, waiting for remainder. In this scenario, the one with the /ignored player will not be negatively impacted. The other 4 will be as they need to wait for the last slot to be filled with somebody that is not on any one of their /ignore lists.

    Option 2
    Delayed allocation, checking available pools. In this scenario the one with the /ignored player will be negatively impacted. The other 4 (5) will have their group filled as soon as there is no /ignore cross over.

    At least, that's what I see. I personally think Option 2 would be better than Option 1 as it should lead to faster group formation as people are not locked into a static group as soon as they queue.
    Isz on other, unreleased MMOs :

    "Enjoy buying another $60 box for forum access to the next thing to complain about"
    About right, ayuh.

  15. #45
    Shield of Telara
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    726

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zulze View Post
    ......Are you joking? Do you have any idea why the people were getting hacked in the first place? It was on Trion's end, dip****.
    Sure Trion had a security issue that was fixed, but you cannot say it was impossible for some (unknown number) of hacks where it was the players fault.

    Saying it is impossible for any player to do any wrong concerning internet security, is silly IMO. Saying that all players practice perfect internet securiyt is also silly, There are to many variables in the mix. Not all players are veteran MMO players, each player will have a different level of understanding, concerning internet security.

    Sure everyone will say it is not their fault and blame Trion fully, but that is human nature to pass the buck. Let someone else be your scape goat, when others know that some unknown number of players at the keyboard were responsible for their hack. Heck it may even have been something like clicking on a link that they shouldn't have. If you think that phishers are super easy for all to spot, then no one would ever fall for them. Heck even the phishers themselves would quit trying if they knew that their plans would never work.

    Something as simple as being redirected from website A, then it looks like the new website is scanning your computer, then it looks like your AV needs a new download. Not knowing any better you say yes, bam malware is on your computer. Players would not admit to this either, because they would be embarrassed. Just as embarrassed as falling for a phishing scam, heck in the past, even I was conned once. Not concerning the internet though.

    Further it could be some could've registered for Rift fansites using the same email address and password as their Trion account. Figuring that since they are a fansite that makes them safe. Or even using the same email they give to everyone they know.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts