Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Information release

Default Information release

I have a concern about how Information is released. Bear with me since I'm not the most articulate person around.

Trion has a official website that is behind in displaying the information that has been released.

They have these forums, which on a couple of occasions have actually been used to clarify incorrect information put out in interviews.

And then they have all the third party sites (facebook, twitter, youtube, and several others)

The Information needs to be consolidated in one official spot. Why waste the bandwidth on an official webpage to not bother updating it?

My second issue is in letting the community *Leaders* determine what information is released to the rest of us. I have a major issue with the Pod casts.

Someone post a thread telling us the community to post questions that we would like to see asked of various people. Those questions are then pared down to an acceptable amount by using who knows what criteria. The questions are asked and the final product is edited to give the information the interviewer deems to be relevant.

As we saw with the paladin podcast it creates confusion when third parties get in the way of releasing information. MissSDoomCookie had to stop by to clear up the confusion created by the information released in a podcast

TLDR:

You have an official website use it for its intended purpose, consolidate the information you have released so people don't have to go searching all over the web for information.

Control the flow of information don't leave it up to third partys and or fan sites, all this does is create confusion and requires devs to do twice the amount of work having to correct incorrect information.
    Last edited by Ancient; 08-05-2010 at 09:28 AM.

I agree with making sure the official site is updated with all the latest info or at least links to the articles but I disagree about the podcast, I love getting any information so even if it is whittled down we are still recieving info.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    I have a concern about how Information is released. Bear with me since I'm not the most articulate person around.

Trion has a official website that is behind in displaying the information that has been released.

They have these forums, which on a couple of occasions have actually been used to clarify incorrect information put out in interviews.

And then they have all the third party sites (facebook, twitter, youtube, and several others)

The Information needs to be consolidated in one official spot. Why waste the bandwidth on an official webpage to not bother updating it?

My second issue is in letting the community *Leaders* determine what information is released to the rest of us. I have a major issue with the Pod casts.

Someone post a thread telling us the community to post questions that we would like to see asked of various people. Those questions are then pared down to an acceptable amount by using who knows what criteria. The questions are asked and the final product is edited to give the information the interviewer deems to be relevant.

As we saw with the paladin podcast it creates confusion when third parties get in the way of releasing information. MissSDoomCookie had to stop by to clear up the confusion created by the information released in a podcast

TLDR:

You have an official website use it for its intended purpose, consolidate the information you have released so people don't have to go searching all over the web for information.

Control the flow of information don't leave it up to third partys and or fan sites, all this does is create confusion and requires devs to do twice the amount of work having to correct incorrect information.
    The problem with only having information in one spot is the flow of information is then stagnated to only one group of people. Allowing multiple ways for this information to get out there increases the visual foot print this game can have. That is why the Marketing department handle the big websites and why Abigale handles the more important fan sites. But they work together to get the most information out to the most amount of people possible.

Rift Disciple

TLDR:

While I wouldn't go so far as to shoot the 'fans' that go through so much work to get us information, I generally agree with you. It would be nice to see 'official' news post on the main website.

Though, in the meantime, I would personally like to thank those that have fansites and go through so much work to consolidate data for us to have in a comprehensive format.

this must be the thread you and your wife were fighting over who should post with the new rep system LOL.

its a good post i definitely agree with you.

WTB the above item .... mine broke

Quote Originally Posted by Githil View Post
    The problem with only having information in one spot is the flow of information is then stagnated to only one group of people. Allowing multiple ways for this information to get out there increases the visual foot print this game can have. That is why the Marketing department handle the big websites and why Abigale handles the more important fan sites. But they work together to get the most information out to the most amount of people possible.
    Exactly, I agree wholeheartedly that information/screenshots/videos should be released on multiple fronts but I think it should all be consolidated somewhere on the official site.

I agree that the site should be updated with the information that is released. Though I still think all of those other sites should get them as well, and since they are the ones interviewing, they are bound the get the information first.

In other words, keep the info flowing, and also, try and update the site

Well said. The information flow can be confusing, at least for me.

Only thing is you have to remember that usually, the front page is used to promote the most prominent features. Detailed information isn't provided there until maybe later, when the game is released. (Don't know if this is good or bad, but just look at all the other game's that are in development - very sparse with information there.)

But yes, larger announcements should definately be released on the front end.

There's nothing wrong with releasing information to multiple places, and no reason for it to stop. However the main site does not get updated nearly as frequently as it should.

The problem with only having information in one spot is the flow of information is then stagnated to only one group of people.
    And I would hope that anyone interested in the game would be visiting the official RIFT website, so this wouldn't be an issue anyway.

you misunderstood me I didn't say only release it to one place I did say consolidate the information to one official place, preferably the official website

I think it would help keep contradictory information to a minimum if they were to consolidate all information on the main site.

I agree and this is one of the reasons I try to consolidate information in the feature guide as short facts and bits of information. Telarapedia is also a great consolidation point for information, the information there is more fleshed out.

Trion could consolidate all the information in one location and still feed it out through the various social networks out there. Currently it is a tangled web of information.

As most game companies don't seem to consolidate their information, I figure it must not be worth the money to pay someone to do it when fans basically step in and do it for them. I'm guilty if that is the case.

I believe companies treat their main site as a marketing or sales pitch window. Leaving all the sticky details that may turn off potential customers to other sites.

And cosolidation is exactly the right choice of words! It is absolutely understandable, that certain information is released through other chanels, out of marketing reasons. But after the initial marketing mumbo-jumbo information should be found here as well. Where else but the official site should all odds and ends be tied together?
    I fully second Ancient in with his OP!
    ELDER of TELARA

Proud member of NEMESIS

Ari puts a lot of hard work into those podcasts. I and many others think she has done nothing but be a positive influence in the community and we appreciate everything she has done. She doesnt decide what information is released. She is just a communication point for the developers to release information. If they were to release that information here like you want, it would be drowned out by trolls like you posting about how much you hate everything. I for one love reading the fansites because they are generally better about filtering you trolls out.
    Warp

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by WarpCode View Post
    Ari puts a lot of hard work into those podcasts. I and many others think she has done nothing but be a positive influence in the community and we appreciate everything she has done. She doesnt decide what information is released. She is just a communication point for the developers to release information. If they were to release that information here like you want, it would be drowned out by trolls like you posting about how much you hate everything. I for one love reading the fansites because they are generally better about filtering you trolls out.
    Wholeheartedly back this up.

While above I said that I generally agreed with Ancients, I was just referencing the central point for information... sure it would be nice. But notice I also said that I fully support those that put their free time into giving us information.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast