Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Information release

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Draegan's Avatar

This thread still confuses me

How is what Trion doing different than any other entertainment industry?

Daily News for Rift: Planes of Telara| Follow us on Twitter | Rift Junkies Forum
    Laugh at our Webcomic Series
    Read the Patch Notes | Check out our Guides
    Stay Informed: Dev Tracker | Register for our Guild Database
    Rift Junkies is an Official Fansite of Rift: Planes of Telara

Quote Originally Posted by Takyn View Post
    There are fansites out there devoted to gathering all the info and presenting them on their site, why not pick one or two of those? Also, pretty much all info gets posted on these forums, by fans, all you need to do is click the links and you will never have to go around the net looking for info yourself.
    While you are correct most information gets linked here it is not stickied for the most part and gets lost in the annuls of time . Those fan sites that are trying to pick up the slack should be stickied and recognized as reliable sources along with the official website once it is back up to speed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient View Post
    I certainly appreciate the efforts Cio and company put forth in trying to make up for the lack of personnel at Trion. And I apologize to Ari if the wording in my original post was anything but precise.
    Not what a fansite is. If they were trying to make up for the lack of personnel in the community section, they would be employed by Trion. They don't get paid for their efforts nor do they expect to. A fansite is something that a person develops to help spread the word about the game in a manner that is not the same as running a forum. Instead of information coming from a single point, it's being beamed out from many points and in many different ways. Most of the people who make their way to the official site do not make it here randomly. They are directed here by a third party, be it a business site like mmorpg.com or a fansite that someone has set up to help promote the game. If you really think of fansites as 'picking up the slack' then the concept of a fansite is hopelessly lost to you and I won't try to force it.

Whatever reason you have for not liking fansites, I won't hold it against you. However, expecting every single piece of information to be thoroughly documented by someone at Trion on the forums so that no one ever has to go anywhere else is:

1) Unrealistic
    2) Counter to what they're trying to foster within the community

As Takyn has said, there's little to no information on these fansites that you won't find on the forums as well. It's just not transcribed directly by a staff member at Trion and maybe that's where your beef with the entire issue lies. My advice is this:

If you aren't statisfied with the way that information is being presented by fansites and community leaders, take it upon yourself to get this information and present it in a way that you feel is more effective. If you don't have the time available to do that then that's all well and good. Just don't begrudge the people who do for doing something that, frankly, don't have to do a damn thing and are providing a service to the community.

Being blunt is one thing, but being blunt and having it come off in a negative way is another thing entirely. Oh, and apologizing to someone in a backhanded manner is not the same as actually apologizing to someone.

The Unofficial Oldschool Server - Because a kick-*** community doesn't just build itself.
    Also, be sure to visit RiftSeekers so that Faelor doesn't beat me this week.

To me this thread is the classical overworked parent with guilt issues vs. attention craving teenager

I am betting on that Abigale didn't get less to do when Jives left - it's understandable that not everything is in perfect order. I hope you guys kiss & make up because you do have the same goals.

I would just like to say that i despise Twitter and Facebook or any other kind of social media crap website, and would like to see info posted on those types of sites on the forums as well if possible.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Draegan's Avatar

Daily News for Rift: Planes of Telara| Follow us on Twitter | Rift Junkies Forum
    Laugh at our Webcomic Series
    Read the Patch Notes | Check out our Guides
    Stay Informed: Dev Tracker | Register for our Guild Database
    Rift Junkies is an Official Fansite of Rift: Planes of Telara

I'm personally glad to have some many information sources. I check my email and facebook daily so I can see those updates. I check the website when I have time. It's nice that there's information going to all sources so people that check facebook more will get information and people that prefer to troll message boards can get information as well.

Considering that this is a game that isn't even in beta yet, I'm astonished that people are already complaining about the lack of support for a game that they aren't paying for.

My suggestion is to check Facebook and Twitter one day, check email the next, and check the site the next day if you want to make sure you don't miss anything. It really isn't that much work.

I'm really impressed with how much has been released when the game isn't in Beta yet. I"m looking forward to whatever comes next.

Quote Originally Posted by Goremarr View Post
    Not what a fansite is. If they were trying to make up for the lack of personnel in the community section, they would be employed by Trion. They don't get paid for their efforts nor do they expect to. A fansite is something that a person develops to help spread the word about the game in a manner that is not the same as running a forum. Instead of information coming from a single point, it's being beamed out from many points and in many different ways. Most of the people who make their way to the official site do not make it here randomly. They are directed here by a third party, be it a business site like mmorpg.com or a fansite that someone has set up to help promote the game. If you really think of fansites as 'picking up the slack' then the concept of a fansite is hopelessly lost to you and I won't try to force it.

Whatever reason you have for not liking fansites, I won't hold it against you. However, expecting every single piece of information to be thoroughly documented by someone at Trion on the forums so that no one ever has to go anywhere else is:

1) Unrealistic
    2) Counter to what they're trying to foster within the community

As Takyn has said, there's little to no information on these fansites that you won't find on the forums as well. It's just not transcribed directly by a staff member at Trion and maybe that's where your beef with the entire issue lies. My advice is this:

If you aren't statisfied with the way that information is being presented by fansites and community leaders, take it upon yourself to get this information and present it in a way that you feel is more effective. If you don't have the time available to do that then that's all well and good. Just don't begrudge the people who do for doing something that, frankly, don't have to do a damn thing and are providing a service to the community.

Being blunt is one thing, but being blunt and having it come off in a negative way is another thing entirely. Oh, and apologizing to someone in a backhanded manner is not the same as actually apologizing to someone.
    You really need to take reading comprehension 101. When did I ever say I didn't like fan sites? I simply stated that IMO (and others agree with me) that the information should be consolidated so that new members can find what they are looking for without having to play hopscotch all over the web. At least sticky the information released on other sites to the top of the general forum so new users have a place to go.

Cio had stated that Telarapedia was trying to get all the information in one spot (in response to someones suggestion that a new site be made to do just that). So in that Manner Telarapedia is in fact taking up the slack in the main website. The fan sites I have experience with include as much information about the games they are associated with to attracted and to be of use to as many users as possible. Some do it for advertising dollars, others like Cio do it for the love of the game.

I think this thread has seen the end of its value. Questions were asked, I answered them as best I can. That's the end of it.

I love having a forum where there is a lot of discussion and debate is fine. But this thread has turned into a flame fest. That is not acceptable on this forum.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6