Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Information release

Thanks Abi. I think everybody here knows that you and the rest of Trion are doing what is best for the community, and for the most part the community DOES appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
    Ok, Folks-

I think it's time for me to step in and address some things here.

Thank you Abi!!! It was getting Crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
    Ok, Folks-

I think it's time for me to step in and address some things here.

First off, let me say that I appreciate the people who run the podcast and the fansites. Unless you have done something like this before, you have no idea the amount of work and dedication involved. That's why I try to support these folks the best I can. They are doing a great service to the community.

As many of you have noticed, we have fallen a little behind on getting the website updated. There have been some changes around here and we are short handed at the moment. Getting the site properly updated is definitely on our list of things to get done as soon as possible. We hope to have that done in the next few days.

So that being said, do you really want for us to wait until the site is updated before we release info? We could withhold information until we have someone in place to update the website. Or we can release information through other channels and get the website caught up as we are able to get it done. I assumed you guys cared more about getting new info faster.

That's exactly what happened this week. We announced the first way to get into Beta in the newsletter that went to you, the community. That was exclusive info for you. But the newsletter brought up a lot of questions.

Now I already had a plan in place to announce ways the community can get into Beta. I had that lined up for next week. Again, because we are short handed right now I did not have a lot of time to be on the forums answering 20 questions. But when I saw so many people had questions, I didn't want to make you wait until next week. So I contacted Arithion and asked if she would mind doing a special midweek podcast so I could get you answers and let you know what was coming. She was kind enough to spend several days arranging for, recording and editing the podcast. The idea was to get your questions answered as soon as possible. This was not information for the public. It was information for you, the community.

As for how these podcasts are done, Ari sends me all the questions to be asked. There are sometimes pages of them. I go through them and let her know what cannot be answered for one reason or another. You all know there are things we cannot talk about yet. So rather than having 20 minutes of podcast with me saying, "Sorry, we can't answer that yet" she just omits those questions. Then she edits for "bloopers." Sometimes I trip over my words or cough or someone walks into the room and we have to start a question over. But she gets that all cleaned up before she publishes it. I have listened to all of the podcasts and she has never omitted anything from them except mistakes.

There are several channels of communication going on right now and I am sorry that's confusing for some of you. But all those things have been done for you. You see, PR/Marketing has a roll out plan for major things and important times. We could just stick to that and give all of our releases just to major outlets. But instead, we have tried to provide as much info as possible as fast as we can. Much of the info we have been releasing is not for marketing purposes. It's for you, our community. I thought that's what you wanted.

And finally, I am addressing this thread because there were some valid questions to be answered. But I have to say, I am disappointed to see any of the people who are working so hard for the community criticized for their methods or motives. As I said above, you may have no idea how much work these folks are doing behind the scenes. If you think you have a better way of doing things, you are welcome to start your own sites or activities. Maybe you will do well at them.

Making suggestion, asking questions, even having a negative opinion is fine. But I am not going to allow our community leaders to be bashed after the endless hours they have contributed to building this community.

As for the website, please be patient. We will get it updated. There have just been other things that were a priority and we are in the process of expanding our community team so that we will have more manpower to get things like this done.

I hope this clears up any confusion.
    Nice post!

I just gave Abigale a Reputation vote

Just think Abi, a few more of those and you may even get into Beta

I vote we give Abigale some rep so she can get into Beta asap she seems to be spot on

Regards,
    Kalbuir

Zoe

Thumbs up

Thanks Abigale for replying to this post
    Zoe-SiN
    Sinister

Zoe

Quote Originally Posted by Kalbuir View Post
    I vote we give Abigale some rep so she can get into Beta asap she seems to be spot on

Regards,
    Kalbuir
    I agree!!! But will have to do so tomorrow. The system will not let me give out any more rep today lol
    Zoe-SiN
    Sinister

I love the post Abigale.

I love that you constantly stand up for the community. I also love the podcasts and hard work put in by Arithion and other community leaders that run fansites. Without them our fan experience would be much worse.

I just +rep'd Abigale. Go go beta invite for Abigale!

Lovin the Abigale ... she lets you know where everything stands.

Thank you for standing up for the fansites and those of us who support them Abigale.
    Warp

Have to say coming off another game Abi does a great job keeping people up on what is going on +1 for whatever avenue gets the info out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadili View Post
    Have to say coming off another game Abi does a great job keeping people up on what is going on +1 for whatever avenue gets the info out there.
    Yes, she is very clear without losing her passion for the community. ( Thanks Abigale! )

It's a kind of little bit tensed situation at this moment. People are very impressed about the game, but it's still a long path to walk for the release and than we got also the clear made informations about beta-how-it-works today. The air was charged ... hopefully there was a release now.

Official Rift Fan Site Operator Ciovala's Avatar

Thanks, Abi. I was tempted to quote a line from U2's song 'Acrobat'. ;)

A wiki is only as good as its contributors won't you help?
    The original Rift Wiki - EN DE FR
    [Add a guild] [Add an Item] [Add a Quest]

Quote Originally Posted by Ciovala View Post
    Thanks, Abi. I was tempted to quote a line from U2's song 'Acrobat'. ;)
    Sorry to break in on the love fest but I have a couple of questions, and comments.

First of all since I started the thread I'm making these comments in the first person as if the comments were directed at me its easier that way and I don't need to spin my answers/questions.

So a snippet:

So that being said, do you really want for us to wait until the site is updated before we release info? We could withhold information until we have someone in place to update the website. Or we can release information through other channels and get the website caught up as we are able to get it done. I assumed you guys cared more about getting new info faster.

Never ever did I say anything about delaying the release of information, I just suggested consolidating it so it is easier to access.
    You are short handed, and are working towards improving that situation and getting the website up to speed. Enough said no need to spin it back at me like I had asked for information to be delayed.

second snippet

Now I already had a plan in place to announce ways the community can get into Beta. I had that lined up for next week. Again, because we are short handed right now I did not have a lot of time to be on the forums answering 20 questions. But when I saw so many people had questions, I didn't want to make you wait until next week. So I contacted Arithion and asked if she would mind doing a special midweek podcast so I could get you answers and let you know what was coming. She was kind enough to spend several days arranging for, recording and editing the podcast. The idea was to get your questions answered as soon as possible. This was not information for the public. It was information for you, the community.

There is a contradiction there. I can see not wanting to wait until next week to fix the misconceptions created by the news letter. but why wait the several days to allow the confusion to fester when a short 5 minute post could have done the same thing and reached a **** of alot more people faster? These boards contain a majority of the community you are attempting to reach. Even if only a quater of the registered users viewed the thread that is over 1000 users reached, how many hits did the podcast have?

Gonna skip one paragraph and move on

There are several channels of communication going on right now and I am sorry that's confusing for some of you. But all those things have been done for you. You see, PR/Marketing has a roll out plan for major things and important times. We could just stick to that and give all of our releases just to major outlets. But instead, we have tried to provide as much info as possible as fast as we can. Much of the info we have been releasing is not for marketing purposes. It's for you, our community. I thought that's what you wanted.

This is outright spin. Once again I never said don't release the information, I simply said please consolidate it so that newer members can find it easier and have less misconceptions about the game. I personally don't like face book or twitter, I don't have time for them the people who need to know what I'm up to have my phone number. Some people live by those sites I'm just not one of them and I'm sure there are others. That's not the same as saying don't use them, just consolidate the information so new members who feel the same about social networking sites can find that information easier. Once again your short handed and are working to rectify the situation enough said no need to spin it back.

and finally:

And finally, I am addressing this thread because there were some valid questions to be answered. But I have to say, I am disappointed to see any of the people who are working so hard for the community criticized for their methods or motives. As I said above, you may have no idea how much work these folks are doing behind the scenes. If you think you have a better way of doing things, you are welcome to start your own sites or activities. Maybe you will do well at them.

I didn't intend to insult Ari in anyway. My issue is with the system as a whole. As you stated she submits the questions to you for vetting, but what criteria is used to decide which questions are submitted for the vetting process? Of course you can't answer every question I'm not an idiot. Nor did I imply that the information coming back from you was edited in anyway. My only issue is with the process of getting the communities questions to you to vet in the first place.

I certainly appreciate the efforts Cio and company put forth in trying to make up for the lack of personnel at Trion. And I apologize to Ari if the wording in my original post was anything but precise.

As I said at the beginning as the OP of this thread I took Abigales comments personally and answered them accordingly. As someone noted I'm a very blunt and to the point person, I believe in saying what you mean and meaning what you say. Making veiled comments and spinning issues just pisses me off to no end.

Official Rift Founding Fan Site Operator Takyn's Avatar

There are fansites out there devoted to gathering all the info and presenting them on their site, why not pick one or two of those? Also, pretty much all info gets posted on these forums, by fans, all you need to do is click the links and you will never have to go around the net looking for info yourself.

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast