Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Information release

Quote Originally Posted by Goremarr View Post
    I think Ancient was being a little unfair to people who are responsible for the fansites and the podcast. I don't disagree with information being a little more organized on Trion's end. H***, it's a good idea and something that I think will be more prominent when the game is no longer pre-beta. However, taking it out on the wrong people was the wrong move in my opinion. I'm aware that Ancient is one of those people who are uncompromisingly blunt. I'm very much the same way and if he chooses to hold that against me then that will have to be his cross to bear.

I just bristled when it turned to the fansite operators being culpable in what Trion does because the first official word on friggin' beta came down through channels other than the forums or the official site. Whether that was how it was intended or not, that's how it looked in the original post. Kitty cleared it up very nicely, but that doesn't mean that the original statement was never made. That's the part that I took issue with. Aside from that, I'm in favor of a central hub on the forums and think it will appear once beta has started.

For those who want an absolutely concrete consolidated information hub on the official forums, why not start compiling this information, verifying it, and posting it up for all to see? Getting it stickied shouldn't be an issue if it's well done. That's just a suggestion, but it may be worth looking into if anyone's feeling particularly ambitious.

And remember: It's just entertainment, folks.
    Irongamer already has a superb thread doing just that.
    If you say plz instead of please, I say no because it's shorter than yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Liziana View Post
    Irongamer already has a superb thread doing just that.
    But it's not enough! He isn't mining the brains of Trion people. Plus, I suspect that any mining he may be doing is covert and he's keeping information nuggets for himself!!!

The Unofficial Oldschool Server - Because a kick-*** community doesn't just build itself.
    Also, be sure to visit RiftSeekers so that Faelor doesn't beat me this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Goremarr View Post
    But it's not enough! He isn't mining the brains of Trion people. Plus, I suspect that any mining he may be doing is covert and he's keeping information nuggets for himself!!!
    Muuahahhahaha!

Quote Originally Posted by Pharone View Post
    No offense, but honestly the people doing the podcast have every right to ask or not ask what they want because in the end, it's their podcast. If Arithion decided she didn't want to ask one single thing that anybody asked her to ask in a podcast, that would be her right to do so. Everybody keeps making it sound like she owes us something, and honestly she does not. We owe her for taking her time to do these podcasts.

If Trion ever started making their own podcasts, then the customers of the game would have a little more say so, but until then everybody should realize that Arithion is doing this of her own time, money, and effort.

I appreciate that she even makes the podcast for us, and I think she does a very good job at putting it together every week. I know how it is trying to do these kinds of things on the side. It's not something that just happens. We all have real jobs outside of this game, and the mere fact that any of the community site owners have the time to put anything up should be applauded. None of us get paid to do the sites we make. We don't have big advertising firms like mmorpg.com or massively.com. We are individuals that have a passion for gaming, and we give up our time, money, and resources to hopefully give a little back to the community.
    For the record I have nothing against Ari or the time she spends on the podcasts. I do have to disagree with the premise of your first paragraph though. When a member of the community (not Press or official MMO sites) tries to gather information through special access to the dev team they are there representing the community. They are after all called community leaders, and as leaders have a responsiblity whether real or implied to represent all of us not just a select few they deem worthy of notice.

Official Rift Fan Site Operator Ciovala's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caracarn View Post
    Very well put, Kula! I would like to point out again that Ancient emphasized the consolidation aspect, and this concern of his is very justified, imho!
    To what end? What level of detail is enough? I like the idea of them consolidating information, but they do that today, really. I still disagree that most people coming to riftgame.com care about 90% of the stuff that we do, so it's not the right venue. Only the community knows what information they want (and we all disagree I imagine), so I think Trion is just covering the PR aspect on their website - the other fansites + these forums serve to fill the remaining gap for all of us crazies. It does make it hard to edit the wiki, for example, since we have to scour the Internet, but I just accept it as a compromise.

A wiki is only as good as its contributors won't you help?
    The original Rift Wiki - EN DE FR
    [Add a guild] [Add an Item] [Add a Quest]

I love the post cast and other fan sites that I have listed in favorites. But, I find it strange that new info gets out to them before ever being posted on the Home page with a link. In my niaive way of thinking, I would think that new info and links to that info would be updated and found on the home page, cause that is where I look first..

I think it's awesome that Abi is supporting fan based fansites etc so deeply. Long may they continue.

As for creating confusion, well.. the podcast today was actually specifically done to clear confusion from an official news letter...

That aside, I love seeing other names involved and I love civilians being given a profile in the community. Already I feel more involved in this game then I have any other ever, and far closer to the info spring, and we are only in (pre?) alpha...

I hope they carry on just as they are

Quote Originally Posted by Ciovala View Post
    To what end? What level of detail is enough? I like the idea of them consolidating information, but they do that today, really. I still disagree that most people coming to riftgame.com care about 90% of the stuff that we do, so it's not the right venue. Only the community knows what information they want (and we all disagree I imagine), so I think Trion is just covering the PR aspect on their website - the other fansites + these forums serve to fill the remaining gap for all of us crazies. It does make it hard to edit the wiki, for example, since we have to scour the Internet, but I just accept it as a compromise.
    Why else would people be coming to Riftgame.com but to look for information about the game? And I have to disagree with the segregation of us the community from those who visit the site for the first time, we have all been there. If we the community who have been following the game for a while can't decide which information we would like to see on the main site then who are we to say what a new member would like to see on their first visit.

Zoe

Quote Originally Posted by Darcnova View Post
    I agree that the site should be updated with the information that is released. Though I still think all of those other sites should get them as well, and since they are the ones interviewing, they are bound the get the information first.

In other words, keep the info flowing, and also, try and update the site
    I agree with Darcnova.
    Zoe-SiN
    Sinister

GamingWeez checks 1-2-3 times daily every single different website or channel in which information is released and post it on our site. Check out THIS PAGE for more information.

We also have gamers like you post their quick opinion on the news being released, as for example, HERE.

Hope it helps you OP!
    See our RIFT guides for Shaman, Archon, Chloromancer, Bard and more.

All the Guides, News and Information on the Games YOU play.

Visit our new website at www.GamingWeez.com

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Weez View Post
    GamingWeez checks 1-2-3 times daily every single different website or channel in which information is released and post it on our site.

We also have gamers like you post their quick opinion on the news being released, as for example, HERE.
    Oh look, more site promotions.

Quit that already.

Quote Originally Posted by Kibanu View Post
    Oh look, more site promotions.

Quit that already.
    Weez did a lot for us during E3...his site is great, he brought us up to the minute info on what was going on, we even knew when he was leaving his hotel, getting there and then seeing the Trion booth. He was amazing.
    If you say plz instead of please, I say no because it's shorter than yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Liziana View Post
    Weez did a lot for us during E3...his site is great, he brought us up to the minute info on what was going on, we even knew when he was leaving his hotel, getting there and then seeing the Trion booth. He was amazing.
    Good post Liz.

Weez did a great job for us at E3. Without Weez's hardwork and constant updates E3 would have a been a lot worse for all of us.

Ok, Folks-

I think it's time for me to step in and address some things here.

First off, let me say that I appreciate the people who run the podcast and the fansites. Unless you have done something like this before, you have no idea the amount of work and dedication involved. That's why I try to support these folks the best I can. They are doing a great service to the community.

As many of you have noticed, we have fallen a little behind on getting the website updated. There have been some changes around here and we are short handed at the moment. Getting the site properly updated is definitely on our list of things to get done as soon as possible. We hope to have that done in the next few days.

So that being said, do you really want for us to wait until the site is updated before we release info? We could withhold information until we have someone in place to update the website. Or we can release information through other channels and get the website caught up as we are able to get it done. I assumed you guys cared more about getting new info faster.

That's exactly what happened this week. We announced the first way to get into Beta in the newsletter that went to you, the community. That was exclusive info for you. But the newsletter brought up a lot of questions.

Now I already had a plan in place to announce ways the community can get into Beta. I had that lined up for next week. Again, because we are short handed right now I did not have a lot of time to be on the forums answering 20 questions. But when I saw so many people had questions, I didn't want to make you wait until next week. So I contacted Arithion and asked if she would mind doing a special midweek podcast so I could get you answers and let you know what was coming. She was kind enough to spend several days arranging for, recording and editing the podcast. The idea was to get your questions answered as soon as possible. This was not information for the public. It was information for you, the community.

As for how these podcasts are done, Ari sends me all the questions to be asked. There are sometimes pages of them. I go through them and let her know what cannot be answered for one reason or another. You all know there are things we cannot talk about yet. So rather than having 20 minutes of podcast with me saying, "Sorry, we can't answer that yet" she just omits those questions. Then she edits for "bloopers." Sometimes I trip over my words or cough or someone walks into the room and we have to start a question over. But she gets that all cleaned up before she publishes it. I have listened to all of the podcasts and she has never omitted anything from them except mistakes.

There are several channels of communication going on right now and I am sorry that's confusing for some of you. But all those things have been done for you. You see, PR/Marketing has a roll out plan for major things and important times. We could just stick to that and give all of our releases just to major outlets. But instead, we have tried to provide as much info as possible as fast as we can. Much of the info we have been releasing is not for marketing purposes. It's for you, our community. I thought that's what you wanted.

And finally, I am addressing this thread because there were some valid questions to be answered. But I have to say, I am disappointed to see any of the people who are working so hard for the community criticized for their methods or motives. As I said above, you may have no idea how much work these folks are doing behind the scenes. If you think you have a better way of doing things, you are welcome to start your own sites or activities. Maybe you will do well at them.

Making suggestion, asking questions, even having a negative opinion is fine. But I am not going to allow our community leaders to be bashed after the endless hours they have contributed to building this community.

As for the website, please be patient. We will get it updated. There have just been other things that were a priority and we are in the process of expanding our community team so that we will have more manpower to get things like this done.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Rift Disciple

Quote Originally Posted by Abigale View Post
    Ok, Folks-

*lots of stuff*
    Thanks Abi.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast